Official Jon Gruden Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been occasionally posting conversations i have with friends regarding our search for a new hc.

I just spoke to a someone who was highly placed in the ad a few years ago. I asked him about the rumors and what, if anything, he could share. Again, i can't share his name because he is so well known.

Here is the transcript:

Mcdad: "what can you tell me?"

pf: "we are working like heck to get done what needs to get done so that the deal can be done."

mcdad: "what needs to happen to fix the deal?"

pf: “if i could sprinkle magic dust on it, heck, i'd fix it.”

mcdad: "what's with all the clapping i hear in the background?"

pf: "........uh,........it's nothing. I got to go."

not sure if the conversation ended abruptly because the "hot donuts" light was on at krispykreme.

fyp

istock_sausages.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
I'm not sure why Gruden would go on a major sports-talk show when he knows he's going to be asked about UT and his coaching future. What was the point? I read a transcript of his response to the UT question and he clearly did not want to talk about it, which I find encouraging. However, with all the talk now it's clear close to time for Gruden to decide. I mean, UT can wait a few days more, no doubt, but we don't want to be jerked around or left at the altar if the Gman decides not to come. We need a good coach, and we need one fairly soon so that our recruiting class can be salvaged. Let's dot the i's and cross the t's and get this thing done--or move on.

He is required to go on that show as part of his employment agreement with ESPN. All of ESPN's analysts make scheduled rounds to the various shows. It is how they fill their time.

Let's all take a reality pill and calm down for a second.
First of all, why do we think Gruden is already signed? If he were why wouldn't he be out recruiting right now? If the type of money that is being offered (rumored) is realistic then I think we could afford to buyout the ESPN contract in order to get him in Nkemdiche's living room. If he is signed, but wants to finish the mnf season then, frankly, that is a terrible sign that he doesn't really want this job. We have a vacancy, we have our resources at the ready, it would be a huge splash. Why then wait?
The answer is that we are still trying to convince him. Continuing I can't imagine a scenario where he has expressed sincere interest and we have been trying to nickel and dime him on the contract. The fact is that the job along with gobs of money haven't won him yet and, I'm sorry to say this, probably won't.
It actually becomes relatively interesting for Stoops now that his brother will be in the same division and quite close geographically.

Really? Glad we got that outta the way.

That's your biased opinion of what I said sure...

I'm just passing along what I can at this time. I can tell you that Jimmy Sexton has NEVER intended to "play" his alma mater. Period. Sure it may look that way b/c the last two coaches were his guys and didn't workout for us the way we all (including him) wanted.

Kiffin was on track to rebuilding this program to its rightful spot and then bolted to the only place he would've left us for. You think Jimmy knew that beforehand somehow that Carroll would leave USC and they'd offer Kiffin? haha comical.

The reasons Dooley was hired was b/c he was the polar opposite of Kiffin. Organized, respectable, a man of integrity ect. It got down to Sumlin and Dooley and Dooley impressed Hamilton more in the interview than Sumlin did...

So I do not see your point?
Again, semantics. I understand those guys live in that world so no amount of logic will overcome that mindset.

We're in definite agreement that Jimmy has done what is in the best interest for his clients and himself first. Beyond that it it is highly debatable whether those things were in the best interest of the University of Tennessee.

I'll leave it at that.

Let's all take a reality pill and calm down for a second.
First of all, why do we think Gruden is already signed? If he were why wouldn't he be out recruiting right now? If the type of money that is being offered (rumored) is realistic then I think we could afford to buyout the ESPN contract in order to get him in Nkemdiche's living room. If he is signed, but wants to finish the mnf season then, frankly, that is a terrible sign that he doesn't really want this job. We have a vacancy, we have our resources at the ready, it would be a huge splash. Why then wait?
The answer is that we are still trying to convince him. Continuing I can't imagine a scenario where he has expressed sincere interest and we have been trying to nickel and dime him on the contract. The fact is that the job along with gobs of money haven't won him yet and, I'm sorry to say this, probably won't.
It actually becomes relatively interesting for Stoops now that his brother will be in the same division and quite close geographically.

What? The youngest brother at Kentucky isn't the only Stoops brother to coach in the NCAA.

I don't know where Channel 3's info came from, but George Lapides reported the same exact thing on Memphis radio this morning. Lapides used to be the Sports Director at Channel 3 several years back.

I will say this. Lapides is arrogant but has alot of contacts. He graduated from UT and has personal relationships with many, many people. I would not be surprised if he knew something, even though the Browns have publicly stated they have not offered ownership to Gruden. I had heard that Gruden could be offered ownership consideration in the future but not right now. I guess that could still be in line.

It will be a crazy few days.

I love how Clay Travis is late to the party, and acting like he's called all this all along. Welcome to last week Clay.

I'm not sure why Gruden would go on a major sports-talk show when he knows he's going to be asked about UT and his coaching future. What was the point? I read a transcript of his response to the UT question and he clearly did not want to talk about it, which I find encouraging. However, with all the talk now it's clear close to time for Gruden to decide. I mean, UT can wait a few days more, no doubt, but we don't want to be jerked around or left at the altar if the Gman decides not to come. We need a good coach, and we need one fairly soon so that our recruiting class can be salvaged. Let's dot the i's and cross the t's and get this thing done--or move on.

I think it is likely a contracted appearance weekly on the M&M show. He is somewhat obligated to the commitment per ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back