Official Jon Gruden Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as previously stated...Meyer and Saban publicly denied right before announcing...they were the 2 previous "home run" hires of NCAA teams....Gruden didn't even deny to the extent that they did...

I have been occasionally posting conversations I have with friends regarding our search for a new HC.

I just spoke to a someone who was highly placed in the AD a few years ago. I asked him about the rumors and what, if anything, he could share. Again, I can't share his name because he is so well known.

Here is the transcript:

McDad: "What can you tell me?"

PF: "We are working like heck to get done what needs to get done so that the deal can be done."

McDad: "What needs to happen to fix the deal?"

PF: “If I could sprinkle magic dust on it, heck, I'd fix it.”

McDad: "What's with all the clapping I hear in the background?"

PF: "........uh,........it's nothing. I got to go."

Not sure if the conversation ended abruptly because he was caught clapping for no good reason or maybe because he realized he said too much (without really saying anything at all).

Anywho, I will do my best to keep sharing any updates.

Reactions: 4 people
Not sure if posted but Memphis is still reporting...
George LaPenis Show reporting Gruden to receive 10% of Browns if stays past 4 years. That is a whole lot of money.

And that it was confirmed with the Governor.

He paid 2 billion so that makes it $200 million. Wow!

Yeah, 97to be exact. I thought that was far fetched too! I have never liked LaPenis and he is a Memphis homer. Unsure why he would still be reporting it.

Just thought I would pass along.

Yeah I find it funny Memphis press are the ones leaking all the more outrageous/controversial rumors.

There is absolutely no way or no reason for the Browns to have offered a 10% stake in the franchise to take a college football job. I dont care that Haslam owns the team now. That's the most ridiculous thing I have heard yet about Gruden. He's just a football coach.

Hold on now... That's a VERY strong and bold statement.

Let's look at the facts here:

1. Jimmy Sexton graduated and was a manager at UT

2. His entire family bleeds orange

3. Any decisions he's made in getting us a football coach have been business first, which is how you operate a business. Period.

4. I can assure you that no one loves TN more or bleeds a truer shade of orange than Mr. Sexton and his family for that matter.

This notion that he has somehow "played" this program by pushing his guys here is comical. Jimmy didn't make Mike Hamilton choose Dooley over Sumlin. Or make Mike Hamilton choose Kiffin over Kelly, Hamilton made BOTH of those decisions. You cannot fault a businessman for pushing his clients into positions of prominence.

Enter: Jon david gruden, next HC UT

Reactions: 1 person
Hold on now... That's a VERY strong and bold statement.

Let's look at the facts here:

1. Jimmy Sexton graduated and was a manager at UT

2. His entire family bleeds orange

3. Any decisions he's made in getting us a football coach have been business first, which is how you operate a business. Period.

4. I can assure you that no one loves TN more or bleeds a truer shade of orange than Mr. Sexton and his family for that matter.

This notion that he has somehow "played" this program by pushing his guys here is comical. Jimmy didn't make Mike Hamilton choose Dooley over Sumlin. Or make Mike Hamilton choose Kiffin over Kelly, Hamilton made BOTH of those decisions. You cannot fault a businessman for pushing his clients into positions of prominence.
You've contradicted yourself with your last two statements. The insinuation that Sexton leaked the Gruden news to prompt UT into acting, or to somehow derail the Gruden process can for any rational person be construed as "playing" UT. You can go into semantics all you want, but your first post is supporting evidence enough for my assertion IMO.

YOUR words:

Hint: This super agent may or may not have leaked this story to the same news station the Lane Kiffin news broke on hoping it would put pressure on Hart and Gruden to make this decision one way or the other sooner and more public than previously anticipated.

Last edited:
ouch. I've not been on the Gruden train at all and have always thought it was ridiculous but Gruden was taken off guard on Mike and Mike. He ended that part of the convo and quick. I don't feel like getting my hopes up but that sounded really suspect listening to it. Saying "no. I'm not interested" is normal and doesn't mean anything but he's not even doing that. This story has had legs for awhile now and surely has been picked up. If he's not going to coach here, I find it hard not to believe UT or Gruden wont release a statement.

Reactions: 1 person
dr-evil.jpg
He paid one billion.

Reactions: 4 people
Interesting post and I was wondering if someone with negative motives was the one to leak such an obvious BS story. They are trying to get us off of our timeline with Gruden and make this very quiet search go public.

Fred can you see Gruden being announced soon or do you buy that Hart will be in NY this weekend doing interviews and no hire will be made till next week?

There is a lot still to be determined from the Gruden camp and a few contractual issues he's dealing with, which may or may not be part of the hold up from his end... IF we get him as our next head coach I'd expect to hear something soon (By the end of the weekend) one way or the other. Cannot really go into more details than that at this time sorry. What I can say that as of this am around 8 or so I still feel good that Gruden could be our next coach, but nothing is set in stone either way at this time.

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back