Official Jon Gruden Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the appropriate time to release information comes, it will happen. The time does not hinge on Vol fans demands nor what DD and the Vols do the rest of the season.

Also, the last I saw OCI say about a staff was mostly wrong. I don't think I've seen the likely DC named at all. Recruiting would not be an issue and defense would be 100x better.

Well why don't you just go ahead and throw a name out there then? Just for ***** and giggles.

Good points. I just am not the true believer most of you guys are. Maybe he would be great, I do think he has it in him to be great. But the guy is (or was) extrememly stubborn about his play calling. He made a ton of head scratchers at TB.

Welcome to the thread and thanks for the change in tone, derision to discussion. You don't have to agree with the hire; however, no discussion can occur if it devolves into a sarcasm contest.

Speaking from experience (not equating anything I have done in any way, shape, or form mind you), a young coach can do some head-scratching things. I will never forget one idiotic coaching decision I made all those years ago. I look back on some decisions I made 22 years ago, and I want to kick my on rear. What I thought was the right thing to do, experience, observation, and study have shown me otherwise. Good coaches grow and learn from their experiences.

Gruden was a very young coach. I don't think that he made terrible decisions personally, but each to their own on that. I don't think pro coach Gruden would have even considered a college job. Since TB, he has had the chance to run camps, consult with athletes, offer critiques and advice, and even coach his son's high school team. With these more recent experiences, it seems to me that he has come to a realization: he likes teaching football to young athletes. That's what we are missing at UT. We need a coach that will earn the players' respect and has the ability to TEACH these players. I think Gruden's recent experiences show that he is a very capable teacher of the game and not just bright football mind. I see his passion in working with young players and seeing them grow. That's what we need in Knoxville, a passionate teacher of the game. I don't think Dooley is an Xs and Os idiot. I do think that he is a terrible teacher of the game. I don't care if you're the smartest football guy in history. If you can't transfer that knowledge effectively to your players, all that knowledge is useless. Players don't automatically give their unconditional respect to a coach. That must be earned. Without rehashing a debate that has occured so many times, I see nothing that tells me that Dooley has earned his players' unconditional respect. Gruden, imo, brings passion for the game. His accomplishments will automatically earn respect. But most of all, his newly found love of teaching the game (which occurred outside the limelight) is exactly what we need at the University of Tennessee.

Again, welcome to the thread. I look forward to a meaningful discussion.:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
When the appropriate time to release information comes, it will happen. The time does not hinge on Vol fans demands nor what DD and the Vols do the rest of the season.

I've talked to a few people recently. If it is Gruden, we are on his schedule now. That is hard for some to understand.

Welcome to the thread and thanks for the change in tone, derision to discussion. You don't have to agree with the hire; however, no discussion can occur if it devolves into a sarcasm contest.

Speaking from experience (not equating anything I have done in any way, shape, or form mind you), a young coach can do some head-scratching things. I will never forget one idiotic coaching decision I made all those years ago. I look back on some decisions I made 22 years ago, and I want to kick my on rear. What I thought was the right thing to do, experience, observation, and study have shown me otherwise. Good coaches grow and learn from their experiences.

Gruden was a very young coach. I don't think that he made terrible decisions personally, but each to their own on that. I don't think pro coach Gruden would have even considered a college job. Since TB, he has had the chance to run camps, consult with athletes, offer critiques and advice, and even coach his son's high school team. With these more recent experiences, it seems to me that he has come to a realization: he likes teaching football to young athletes. That's what we are missing at UT. We need a coach that will earn the players' respect and has the ability to TEACH these players. I think Gruden's recent experiences show that he is a very capable teacher of the game and not just bright football mind. I see his passion in working with young players and seeing them grow. That's what we need in Knoxville, a passionate teacher of the game. I don't think Dooley is an Xs and Os idiot. I do think that he is a terrible teacher of the game. I don't care if you're the smartest football guy in history. If you can't transfer that knowledge effectively to your players, all that knowledge is useless. Players don't automatically give their unconditional respect to a coach. That must be earned. Without rehashing a debate that has occured so many times, I see nothing that tells me that Dooley has earned his players' unconditional respect. Gruden, imo, brings passion for the game. His accomplishments will automatically earn respect. But most of all, his newly found love of teaching the game (which occurred outside the limelight) is exactly what we need at the University of Tennessee.

Again, welcome to the thread. I look forward to a meaningful discussion.:hi:

Scheme will be secondary with Gruden. Think Bama and LSU in their prime. With the level of athlete Gruden will bring to UT, we will impose our will on opponents regardless of scheme recognition. That is not to say the Xs and Os won't be solid, just saying that people will know what we are doing and won't be able to stop it.

Reactions: 1 person
Scheme will be secondary with Gruden. Think Bama and LSU in their prime. With the level of athlete Gruden will bring to UT, we will impose our will on opponents regardless of scheme recognition. That is not to say the Xs and Os won't be solid, just saying that people will know what we are doing and won't be able to stop it.

Exactly

I've talked to a few people recently. If it is Gruden, we are on his schedule now. That is hard for some to understand.

Silence is golden, that alone should give people hope but it seems like all it is doing is giving them anxiety.

Also, the last I saw OCI say about a staff was mostly wrong. I don't think I've seen the likely DC named at all. Recruiting would not be an issue and defense would be 100x better.

Have you looked at both lists that are floating around this board? They are similar. Do either of them get anything right, in your opinion?

Have you looked at both lists that are floating around this board? They are similar. Do either of them get anything right, in your opinion?

I think I'm most fascinated with the prospect of Jay Gruden. I think he wants to be a head coach in the League. He has done a pretty good job with Dalton, but Marvin Lewis might be on shaky ground right now.

Silence is golden, that alone should give people hope but it seems like all it is doing is giving them anxiety.

It's like your head is telling you one thing, your heart is telling another, and your gut is telling you something else.

I used to listen to UT football on the radio while grading tobacco with my grandfather - Mostly 1985-1999 when he died. I never remember a bad game. Some of my best memories were there for lots of reasons. It was fun to listen - win or lose. Losing to Florida was maddening, but it was fun.

I felt a little of that when Kiffen got here. We were exciting and had a little swagger. It wasn't meant to be. I haven't felt that way again in a long time.

You don't watch UT football to see how we will pull one out. You watch UT football and you know that they are going to screw it up. I feel like a drunk going to a bar every night knowing that I will wake up miserable.

Anyway, wall of text, I know.

TLDR - I want to be excited about UT football again.

Reactions: 1 person
Here's the other list.

HC Jon Gruden
OC/QBs Jay Gruden
WRs Tee Martin
RBs Jay Graham
OL Sam Pittman
TEs/STs Rich Bissacia

DC/CBs Raheem Morris
Ss Ron Zook
LBs Kevin Steele
DL Dan Brooks

Here is the list that was from TOS.

Here's the list I posted on 10/26 with first names.

HC - Jon Gruden
OC/QB - Jeremy Bates or John Shoop
RB - Jay Graham
WR - Tee Martin
ST/TE - Rich Bisaccia or Ron Middleton
OL - If John Shoop then Sam Pittman, if Jeremy Bates then Pat Morris
DC - Raheem Morris or Casey Bradley
DL - Jethro Franklin or Keith Millard
LB - Joe Barry or Casey Bradley or Derrick Brooks
DB - Raheem Morris or Greg Burns

OCI's origial list.

Status