Recruiting Forum: Football Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Willie Bo has big game Saturday being a Mobile boy. Having grown up in Mobile myself I know how bad he wants to beat those f***ers. He's one of the very few that have endured from Fulmer to kiff & now Dooley.

I just saw this article on UTsports where Fulmer & approximately 40 players from the 97 SEC championship team will be honored before the game Saturday.

UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Since so many former players would be at the game I wondered if Dooley would allow any of them to be on the sideline with the team during the game if they wanted to.

The reason I was wondering that was because I remember seeing a tweet from Leonard Little during the Miami vs Notre Dame game (in Chicago) couple weeks ago. He was pointing out how many former Miami players were on the sideline during their game & made a comment like "must be nice."

I've heard or read things several different times about former players having little or no access to the program under Dooley (unless it's someone like a PM or EB it seems). Even not allowing access to watch a practice. I saw somewhere recently where Fuad Reveis(sp?) offered to coach the kickers for free & was told no. I remember hearing something similar about Wilhoit being rejected when he offered help with the kickers.

My question is why would former players & VFL's be so limited to access?

*Btw, this is not an attack on Dooley. Just a question.

The part about not letting ainge and reviez to come in turned out to be Ainge leaving a big part of the reason out when he mentioned it on his radio show....it's a violation for coaches to be involved at all in setting it up! I think even them teaching them on campus is one too. Needs to be set up by the player and them off campus. This is something I'm being weary about now with info Ainge comes out with cause I find it tough to believe he didn't know that and yet he said it for "shock ratings" value.

The other stuff about them being on the sideline I don't know. I'm sure cdd is really not in a position to have distractions large or small on the sidelines. I'm sure if 40 of them are gonna be there they can't get them all on the sideline either and which ones do u allow?? Lose lose always in some way for cdd.

This kind of little nip pick type stufff are things that are non-game related s*it that cdd has had to deal with that takes away from focusing on football.

Just all IMHO that's all...

Let's go Dooley's UT Vols!!!! Buck Fama!!

RIP Big Tex!!!:cray:

i think itd be 8 and 9 depending on where Teague and Wilks fall

definites - Lathers, Bartholemew, Rivera, ZR, PWagg, Wilks, DThomas, Willie Bo

arguable - Teague, Wilks

but point remains the same - not as many as you would like
Here is a breakdown of seniors in the two deep of some of the top teams that we have faced in the Dooley years. Compare that to the number of seniors that we have had in the two deep.

UGA = 18
North Carolina = 18
Florida = 15
South Carolina = 15
Tennessee = 12
Alabama = 9
LSU = 9

LSU = 13
South Carolina = 13
Alabama = 12
Arkansas = 12
UGA = 11
Florida = 9
Tennessee = 4

South Carolina = 17
Mississippi State = 17
UGA = 15
Alabama = 12
Florida = 11
Tennessee = 6

Reactions: 1 person
I really doubt CDD is against having former players come in and contribute in many different forms. Didn't he do a fund raiser with Witten? Practice is different. There are probably rules around that.

Lathers has made a couple of huge plays this year - the 4th and 1 stop comes to mind but there have been a few others as well i just can't remember

but he has been in on several of those huge plays we have been giving up - i expected him to be a force this year so hopefully he can come around in the 2nd half of the year

Lathers has been no show for every game outside of his 2-3 plays. His missed tackle at the end of the game last week is all effort. Now if he can'[t bring it this last year what is he going to do.

i think itd be 8 and 9 depending on where Teague and Wilks fall

definites - Lathers, Bartholemew, Rivera, ZR, PWagg, Wilks, DThomas, Willie Bo

arguable - Teague, Wilks

but point remains the same - not as many as you would like

I don't include Wilks in the two deep. Dont really remember seeing him out there much in meaningful time. And I've seen Pwaggs play safety with freshman @ CB instead of using him as well. Either way, it's pretty easy to understand how the defense is in the shape its in when you look at the contributions on that side from Fulmer/Kiffin recruits and Dooley's first class(shared with Kiff).

And Dooley missed on some guys for academics that I think could have really helped. Lanier being the main one, but also Lofton. What was the story with Martin? I know he was home sick, but did he also just not have the talent to cut it?

former great players as distractions... Puhlease.

Look at the sidelines of nearly every other school with a winning tradition and a history of producing great Pros... Alums litter the sidelines.

Most coaches not only embrace the idea, they go out of their way to invite them.

there are No NCAA rules prohibiting former players from being at practice.

Look at the sidelines of nearly every other school with a winning tradition and a history of producing great Pros... Alums litter the sidelines.

Most coaches not only embrace the idea, they go out of their way to invite them.

there are No rules prohibiting former players from being at practice besides the head coaches ridiculous rules.

I understand that many do but there's always a possibility of distraction especially if you have 40 on the sideline like it could be this wknd. Small or large cdd is in no position to add any kind of distraction.

Cdd has invited some I'm sure, but has to much to do to entertain former players when ever they want to just pop in. It's like when you are really busy at the office and ur mom decides to pop in to say "hello" to her baby cause she was shopping nearby.

GBO!!!

RIP Big Tex!!:cray:

Miami does it and I would say it helps with recruiting.

If this is referring to my comment, I meant as in helping coach at practice.

I agree. The whole reason I brought this up was bc of the tweet by Leonard Little while he was watching a Miami game saying "must be nice" referring to former players on sideline.

I may be wrong but it just seems like former UT players aren't as welcome around the program like in years past for whatever reason.

Reactions: 1 person
I like this article a lot:
Draft expert: Bray, Hunter, Patterson should return to UT | timesfreepress.com

And siap, here's one by the Bama msg board moderator that actually gives a decent rundown of what to expect ... though i disagree on his QB and OL advantage.
Tennessee preview: Quick-strike Vols still dangerous despite middling record | Tidefans.com

WOW Patrick Brown keeping it short and sweet. I like reading that guy. McShay was big on these three coming in and now this. How things change. They still hav a chance to change minds but they have to play big the rest of the season and win out. CP is the only one I can able to get out but does need to learn his routes. But nfl teams will love to have him for his natural ability. Hunter has a kid so tough to tell him not to IMO. A good paycheck will be welcomed greatly for him now. Bray isn't ready at all.

IMO mccaron is better than bray for leading thE O. Passer - bray is the winner. Everything else McCarron gets him. OL I can't see how theirs can be better than ours other than Barrett being a better line leader at center.

WOW Patrick Brown keeping it short and sweet. I like reading that guy. McShay was big on these three coming in and now this. How things change. They still hav a chance to change minds but they have to play big the rest of the season and win out. CP is the only one I can able to get out but does need to learn his routes. But nfl teams will love to have him for his natural ability. Hunter has a kid so tough to tell him not to IMO. A good paycheck will be welcomed greatly for him now. Bray isn't ready at all.

IMO mccaron is better than bray for leading thE O. Passer - bray is the winner. Everything else McCarron gets him. OL I can't see how theirs can be better than ours other than Barrett being a better line leader at center.

Kinda hard what kind of leader he is when he's never been behind isn't it?

I really like Patrick Brown, too. I think McShay's comments apply to CP more than the other 2. He is an incredible football player but a very average WR (right now, anyway); an NFL team couldn't trust him enough at this point to play him every snap.

He sure pulled that nailbiter versus LSU out. Kidding me right.....

I understand how our offense did in the UF and UGA games in the 4th quarter, but last weekend after we scored on that sweet drive with 5 minutes left, I was more confident than ever about Tyler finishing the game for us. He looked more poised than ever; obviously, I wish he had gotten one more chance.

And has AJM ever had to win a game on a last minute drive?

Just stop

If you can coach, you can coach. If anything, he'd do better in college.

Okay.

Gruden would IMMEDIATELY bring more interest to UT from recruits, potential assistants, and fans than Dooley has his entire tenure. He's essentially a celebrity now.

He's a tireless worker, when it comes to coaching. It's been said that he wants to recruit, and beat out the best programs in the nation.

His teams won their division 5 times and he has a superbowl ring, IN THE NFL. Jim Mora, Jr. is already doing well at UCLA, and he's had far less success in the NFL. Assuming Gruden wouldn't do well in college is pure ignorance, when he's already had success at the most difficult football league in the world.

I just don't see the fascination with Gruden. Look, I am not saying he isn't a decent coach, I just don't see him as the second coming of Neyland like many on here believe.

1) The college and the NFL are two totally different games. Remember how Mote Kiffin was going to come in and dominate? Yeah, we see how that turned out.

2) Gruden was 57-55 at TB. Barley above .500. That includes his Super Bowl year.

3) Out of his 11 NFL seasons as a head coach, he went to the playoffs five times. In those five times, he won a Super Bowl, lost in a Conference championship, lost a Division playoff game, and two wild card games.

Dooley was the recruiting coordinator/tight end coach/running back coach/special teams coach for the second coming of Bryant/Neyland at LSU. The second coming of Bryant/Neyland thought enough of him to bring him along to his Miami staff. He left to become both the head coach and AD of an abimsal program. Turned the whole program around. Took over a job at UT that nobody wanted. The job and roster was way worse than anyone ever wants to admit. Despite those difficulties, he had us virtually tied at the half (before lack of depth and talent took over the second half) with Oregon (13-13), Bama (13-10), UF (7-3), USC (10-10), and was a substitution mistake away from beating LSU in Baton Rouge.

The next season, Dooley looses his four best players; Bray, Hunter, Jackson, Lathers.

Now to this season. We have been in position to win every game. We dominated UF for three quarters. No body has done that to UF this season. We had a chance to win UGA and MSU. Players simply didn't make the plays they needed to make despite being in position. Add insult to injury, most of these blown plays were by our NFL-caliber players. There is only so much a coaching staff can do. The crazy thing about this season thus far is the fact that we are only a few plays from being undefeated.

Through all of this, the coaching staff has been able to reel in great classes considering our record and instate talent level. Furthermore, we are suppose to have another great class coming in despite our 3-3 start (according to those in the know around here).

Be patient guys; we have a good coach in front of us. Don't let your frustrations of the last decade dupe you into an irrational, emotional knee-jerk reaction.

Reactions: 4 people

And iirc cdd did this with Berry during a camp this past summer didn't he?? Please remember that most of the players that the recruits are going to care about or let influence their decision are still playing on Sundays. Pretty tough to have them at the games on sat. Manning and berry will help. Al Wilson and Lenard little will after the kids get home and google them and see how great they were at UT. Ainge....not so much.

Heck Arain Foster would be huge help....oh wait CDD pissed him off so bad he doesn't rep the school. Fire CDD for this!!! Smh :crazy:

These kids don't know many names of former Vols from the last decade unless they grew up UT fans which are very few if any.

GBO!!!

RIP Big Tex!!:cray:

Kinda hard what kind of leader he is when he's never been behind isn't it?

Exactly. Also, I'm already tired of hearing the people that keep bringing his name up to be in the Heisman race. A lot of qb's would look good behind that oline & with that running game. I'm not saying he sucks but the Heisman is more about the best player on the best team these days. It's a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back