Recruiting Forum: Football Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
so back to us playing bama b/c im a bit tired of DD

imo no DB's not named Deon can cover if you have great WR's, a QB with a cannon, and an OL that can keep him upright

i am aware that we have to stop them as well but how do you guys see their pass rush matching up with our Oline?

I think if we can keep Bray upright then we have a chance in this game - its at home and bama hasnt been in a pressure situation all year - the guys on their Defense are certainly talented but they werent the same guys that were in the clutch situations last year so if we can get some scores we may be able to rattle em

what say you guys?

14-0 and National Champions in 2010 to 1-5 start in 2012...that's quite a drop off in short order especially given the talent on their roster.

You don't think history matters? I don't think Dooley necessarily put us there. But I don't think it was a complete rebuild either. He had his way of going about things and he's going to have to deal with how it has affected the fan base. People are judged on results. His results have been poor. You can't argue that. I'd love to see him win out and stick around. I just have little confidence he can.

It was a complete rebuild. With the number of kids Kiffin kicked off, it was worse than being on sanctions.

You can argue if Dooley has won enough or not, but give the man credit for taking this job and getting us back to where we can have expectations.

Reactions: 2 people
so back to us playing bama b/c im a bit tired of DD

imo no DB's not named Deon can cover if you have great WR's, a QB with a cannon, and an OL that can keep him upright

i am aware that we have to stop them as well but how do you guys see their pass rush matching up with our Oline?

I think if we can keep Bray upright then we have a chance in this game - its at home and bama hasnt been in a pressure situation all year - the guys on their Defense are certainly talented but they werent the same guys that were in the clutch situations last year so if we can get some scores we may be able to rattle em

what say you guys?

Completely agree with everything stated above. If we can get adequate field position and a couple of stops I think we have an excellent opportunity to pull the upset barring any gashing 80yd runs by the opposition.

Not a complete rebuilding of the program?????

Here is a look at the upperclassmen in the Vols 2 deep during Dooley's career at UT.

2010 Vols
Seniors = 13
Juniors = 6

2011 Vols
Seniors = 4
Juniors = 8

2012 Vols
Seniors = 6
Juniors = 20

Are you sure we only have 6 seniors this year?

Completely agree with everything stated above. If we can get adequate field position and a couple of stops I think we have an excellent opportunity to pull the upset barring any gashing 80yd runs by the opposition.

I feel like we also need to come out and punch them in the mouth early to see how they respond and pull a possibly tentative crowd into the game. Bama has outscored opponents 84-0 in the first quarter this year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I feel like we also need to come out and punch them in the mouth early to see how they respond and pull a possibly tentative crowd into the game. Bama has outscored opponents 84-0 in the first quarter this year.

Agree 100%. I think we have to get them down early, and the crowd has to be into the game. Momentum swings are killing us this year (due to the defense folding).

Agree 100%. I think we have to get them down early, and the crowd has to be into the game. Momentum swings are killing us this year (due to the defense folding).

Yep. Tough to go.for the jugular when you're giving up 70 yard tds pr 14 play drives.

14-0 and National Champions in 2010 to 1-5 start in 2012...that's quite a drop off in short order especially given the talent on their roster.

You are most certainly correct. One of the two teams playing in 2010 BCS game in Arizona has continued to build on their identity and get better at what they do. The other left Arizona and after that season never found who they are. AU keeps meddling with its identity and seems to really have no longterm master plan other than "recruit well". You say "Auburn" and what comes to mind for a lot of people are Cam and a monumental drop after that year. There is no clear vision of what we are as a football team.

Last edited:
Yea, it's really sad when you only have 6 seniors contributing. That's really bad. Dooley has definitely brought talent back into the program. Absolutely no disputing that.

We only had 4 seniors in the two deep the year before. Fulmer and Kiffin left the cupboard of talent bare to the bone.

The program did not get into the shape that it has been in by accident nor did it get that way quickly. Think about it. Why did the program get into this position. Dooley is not the nor has been the person that caused this. Like it or not, all that he has done is lead the complete rebuilding of the UT football program from the ground up.

People bellyaching and saying that we have a proud history and rich tradition are not going to make the program better just because of that. There has been a lot of pain, but there always is, when you have to start over from the ground up and build anything.

Died on! Had something come up I had to deal with, but glad you came in with a response like I would have given. Honestly though way better written than I could have put it (dang add). Thanks Tux! :hi:

RIP Big Tex! :cray:

GBO!!!

I just saw this article on UTsports where Fulmer & approximately 40 players from the 97 SEC championship team will be honored before the game Saturday.

UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Since so many former players would be at the game I wondered if Dooley would allow any of them to be on the sideline with the team during the game if they wanted to.

The reason I was wondering that was because I remember seeing a tweet from Leonard Little during the Miami vs Notre Dame game (in Chicago) couple weeks ago. He was pointing out how many former Miami players were on the sideline during their game & made a comment like "must be nice."

I've heard or read things several different times about former players having little or no access to the program under Dooley (unless it's someone like a PM or EB it seems). Even not allowing access to watch a practice. I saw somewhere recently where Fuad Reveis(sp?) offered to coach the kickers for free & was told no. I remember hearing something similar about Wilhoit being rejected when he offered help with the kickers.

My question is why would former players & VFL's be so limited to access?

*Btw, this is not an attack on Dooley. Just a question.

Watching the Bama vs ole miss game always gives me hope for this weekend. Ole Miss held their running game in check, 2 offensive touchdowns, and 4 field goals. The kickoff Bama returned for a touchdown hurt them, but all in all ole miss competed.

Short drives and "3-and-out" are killing us. We need our run gm to be successful to help control tempo and help rest the "D". Neal and Lane need to be available.

In fairness he said on the 2-deep, which is right at 6 or 7. Maybe 8 depending on where you think Teague falls at this point.

i think itd be 8 and 9 depending on where Teague and Wilks fall

definites - Lathers, Bartholemew, Rivera, ZR, PWagg, Wilks, DThomas, Willie Bo

arguable - Teague, Wilks

but point remains the same - not as many as you would like

i think itd be 8 and 9 depending on where Teague and Wilks fall

definites - Lathers, Bartholemew, Rivera, ZR, PWagg, Wilks, DThomas, Willie Bo

arguable - Teague, Wilks

but point remains the same - not as many as you would like

These are the only guys playing winning football right now. Problem.............

These are the only guys playing winning football right now. Problem.............

Lathers has made a couple of huge plays this year - the 4th and 1 stop comes to mind but there have been a few others as well i just can't remember

but he has been in on several of those huge plays we have been giving up - i expected him to be a force this year so hopefully he can come around in the 2nd half of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back