More SEC expansion talk ???

1. It's a state we're not in. They have a solid fanbase. They could help us in the DC market.
2. They might not. But NC St might want out from under the thumb of UNC/Duke.

Bingo.

Everyone's always like "Tech wouldn't bring in DC", and I'm like, "all of their alums live in DC, Richmond, or Charlotte". It would be a solid get for the conference.

Tennessee has to play cross rivals Florida, Alabama & LSU every year? Thats rough swap LSU for Missouri or similar.

Here's the thing, though: it's really not a tougher schedule than what we already have. We already have to play Bama, Florida and Georgia every year, usually with other challenges as well. Here we're playing the same trio, but with LSU in place of Georgia, plus Virginia Tech and one or two other challenges.

And the teams that are getting the more favorable schedules are the weaker ones. It's not like any fellow SEC powers are going to be let off the hook - they're all playing each other. In our division, VT would play a schedule that's just about as rough (long term) while Kentucky and Vanderbilt, despite easier schedules, are still a lot weaker.

Also keep in mind that out of Bama, UF and LSU, our division rivals would still have to play one of those teams every year.

The one imbalance here is in the West, where Missouri (a pretty decent program) gets lumped with all of the easy teams. That's a division where you could surely switch things around for more balance.

I have no problem at all with changing the rivals or divisions in order to make the schedule more even. I just think the concept - multiple permanent rivals - allows for a lot of great games and rivalries while still playing everybody.

LSU and Georgia are vastly different. One has won 2 and played for 3rd NC since 03 and won conference title that 3rd time. The other won 2 conference titles and played for another one. My arguement is for regular opponents Tennessee needs to play Alabama for long standing tradition everyone agrees on that. As for Florida I Am fine with them even that rivalry is young only getting hot since 90s, not much hatred before then. But to add the 3rd most successful school in recent memory in LSU would absolutely almost cripple our chances of anything special. I say swap LSU for a competitive school like Missouri and build a new rival with a border state

UTRavens,

Here's how I'd do scheduling. This is based on my divisions above.

-3 games inside division
-4 games against another division
-1 game against a permanent rival
-The South's (AL, AU, OM, MSU) permanent rivals are all in the North (TN, UGA, VU, UK respectively). The West's (A&M, UM, Ark, LSU) are all in the East (USCe, VPI, NC St, UF respectively).
-During the years when the North plays the South, and the East plays the West, each team plays one game against a secondary rival (OM-LSU, MSU-UM, AL-A&M, AU-Ark, TN-VPI, UGA-UF, VU-USCe, UK-NC St)

So let's take Tennessee for example. Here's three years worth of games:

1: UGA, UK, Vandy, Bama, UF, USCe, NC St, VPI
2: UGA, UK, Vandy, Bama, LSU, A&M, Mizzou, Ark
3: UGA, UK, Vandy, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, VPI

Every team plays the other 15 teams at least once every three years.

If my scheme doesn't pit UF against UGA or Tennessee enough, then divisions can be shuffled.

I think this is the best scheduling format. Personally, I'd change the divisions a bit but the scheduling is great.

The division of UT/UGA/VU/KY would not be possible, if each team has only one permanent opponent outside their division. UGA must play UF and Auburn every year, so if you pull them out of UF's division, you won't be able to continue both rivalries.

The UT/VT/VU/KY division makes more sense, IMO. I can't see them adding VT to the league and not creating a UT-VT rivalry, given the proximity of the schools and fan bases.

To keep the 8-game schedule, they could play the 3 divisional games, another division, and then a single permanent opponent. The issue would be where the 8th game would come from when your permanent opponent's division rotates on. It's too late at night for me to do the math/layout, but the permanent opponents may need to be arranged so that there's always the same number of teams needing the 'makeup' game.

They could also base some of the games on where you finished the previous year, like with the NFL. Just carve out some dates for those games, to avoid interfering with teams' non-league games.

I just came up with this while half-asleep.

I'll copy the division breakdown that makes the most sense.
8 conference games. 3 within the division, 4 against another division, 1 permanent opponent, and 1 preferred opponent to play against when your permanent opponent's division rotates on.
In parentheses, the permanent opponent is first, and the preferred opponent is second.

SEC North

Tennessee (Alabama/Florida)
Virginia Tech (NCSU/Arkansas)
Kentucky (Missouri/Georgia)
Vanderbilt (Mississippi/S. Carolina)

SEC East

Florida (LSU/Tennessee)
Georgia (Auburn/Kentucky)
South Carolina (TAMU/Vanderbilt)
NC State (Virginia Tech/Miss. State)

SEC Central

Alabama (Tennessee/LSU)
Auburn (Georgia/Missouri)
Mississippi (Vanderbilt/TAMU)
Mississippi State (Arkansas/NCSU)

SEC West

LSU (Florida/Alabama)
Arkansas (Miss. State/Virginia Tech)
Texas A&M (S. Carolina/Mississippi)
Missouri (Kentucky/Auburn)

Play everyone at least 2 teams every 6 years.
Play your preferred opponent 4 times every 6 years (the 2 years when their division rotates on and the 2 years when your permanent opponent's division rotates on).

So, Tennessee would play Kentucky, Vandy, Va Tech, and Bama every year, and would play Florida 4 times every 6 years. We'd play everyone else 2 times every 6 years, which is more often then we're playing most of the West teams now. The lone casualties are only playing Georgia and South Carolina twice each every 6 years.

I just came up with this while half-asleep.

I'll copy the division breakdown that makes the most sense.
8 conference games. 3 within the division, 4 against another division, 1 permanent opponent, and 1 preferred opponent to play against when your permanent opponent's division rotates on.
In parentheses, the permanent opponent is first, and the preferred opponent is second.

SEC North

Tennessee (Alabama/Florida)
Virginia Tech (NCSU/Arkansas)
Kentucky (Missouri/Georgia)
Vanderbilt (Mississippi/S. Carolina)

SEC East

Florida (LSU/Tennessee)
Georgia (Auburn/Kentucky)
South Carolina (TAMU/Vanderbilt)
NC State (Virginia Tech/Miss. State)

SEC Central

Alabama (Tennessee/LSU)
Auburn (Georgia/Missouri)
Mississippi (Vanderbilt/TAMU)
Mississippi State (Arkansas/NCSU)

SEC West

LSU (Florida/Alabama)
Arkansas (Miss. State/Virginia Tech)
Texas A&M (S. Carolina/Mississippi)
Missouri (Kentucky/Auburn)

Play everyone at least 2 teams every 6 years.
Play your preferred opponent 4 times every 6 years (the 2 years when their division rotates on and the 2 years when your permanent opponent's division rotates on).

So, Tennessee would play Kentucky, Vandy, Va Tech, and Bama every year, and would play Florida 4 times every 6 years. We'd play everyone else 2 times every 6 years, which is more often then we're playing most of the West teams now. The lone casualties are only playing Georgia and South Carolina twice each every 6 years.

and just how many conferences have agreed to disband so far?

and just how many conferences have agreed to disband so far?

Perhaps you didn't read the rest of the thread. The title of the thread is "More SEC Expansion talk ???". It's primarily about the possibility of the SEC one day expanding again, and the suggestion that VT and NCSU would be the two teams. Then, people took turns offering ideas for how the 16 teams should be divided, and how the conference schedule should be set up. So, I added my idea to the pile of ideas. Does it make sense now?

No one has advocated expansion. It's just one big hypothetical that turned into an idea exchange. One benefit I do see with the 16-team format, if they go with 4-team pods, is that we'd see the entire league more often than we will with two 7-team divisions.

Last edited:
I'd like to see it: (I realize Tenn. is in the easiest division, but I divided it geographically of course)

Division 1:
1. Arkansas
2. Missouri
3. Texas A & M
4. Mississippi State

Division 2:
1. Tennessee
2. Ole Miss
3. Vanderbilt
4. Kentucky

Division 3:
1. LSU
2. Georgia
3. Alabama
4. Auburn

Division 4:
1. Florida
2. South Carolina
3. Virginia Tech
4. NC State

Ridiculous

Clemson's relatively unplanned BoT meeting about conference alignment is today.

I predict a noncommital statement expressing a desire to do what's best for the school, leaving the door open. The beginning of the end of the ACC as we know it could really be here, I think.

I predict a noncommital statement expressing a desire to do what's best for the school, leaving the door open. The beginning of the end of the ACC as we know it could really be here, I think.

Wow I hope you are right. The ACC is weak.

The rats will start leaping very soon.

Most interesting issues:

1) Do UNC and Duke really stick together?
2) What major programs get left out?

I'd like to see it: (I realize Tenn. is in the easiest division, but I divided it geographically of course)

Division 1:
1. Arkansas
2. Missouri
3. Texas A & M
4. Mississippi State

Division 2:
1. Tennessee
2. Ole Miss
3. Vanderbilt
4. Kentucky

Division 3:
1. LSU