How has Worley looked in practice?

The problem is that Worley is a shotgun QB and we have only been able to run the ball in pro-style sets. I think we will be one-dimensional in two ways if that makes sense. In shotgun we're a passing team.. under center we're a running team.

The problem is that Worley is a shotgun QB and we have only been able to run the ball in pro-style sets. I think we will be one-dimensional in two ways if that makes sense. In shotgun we're a passing team.. under center we're a running team.

Yes, he was a shotgun qb in HS but he's been on campus since January practicing under center. He'll be fine.

Ive seen peyton throw some ugly passes, but make no mistake about it, peyton has a LASER. The scout that said Leaf had a "Stronger" arm, is Freaking STUPID!! He made some throws that made me just shake my head. Hes that good. But I know you guys already know that. lol

To be fair, Peyton's arm seemed to get a lot stronger in the Pros. I wasn't that impressed with his arm strength at UT, but of course he had everything else in spades so it really didn't matter.

I wonder if Crompton is jealous that Simms gets the you suck but nice try award while Cromp just got death threats.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Simms also didn't come in with the expectation of being the second coming of Heath Shuler.

I think Worley has been much more focused the last two weeks. I think he's made some real strides.

If you put Worley, Bray, and Simms at the chalkboard, Simms would know the most, but as we all know it's about more than just knowing what to do, it's doing it.

I think Worley is better mentally and physically than he was three weeks ago. Mentally I would say he's further along than Tyler was this time last year, but physically Tyler has more tools.

No one knows how it will go Saturday night, but it certainly will be worth watching.

- Hubbs

Reactions: 1 person
I am pumped for this weekend...

Worley gets rid of the ball so quickly.

I really think he will be an excellent QB.

Do you think there is any chance he seriously pushes Bray for the starting job? I wouldn't think so, but people seem to think very highly of him.

Too early to tell, but so far I say no. Bray seems to have not only the strong arm but the "it" factor in terms of getting rid of the ball and having a short memory.

But I'm just a fan. Don't know squat about being an SEC QB.

GBO !

Too early to tell, but so far I say no. Bray seems to have not only the strong arm but the "it" factor in terms of getting rid of the ball and having a short memory.

But I'm just a fan. Don't know squat about being an SEC QB.

GBO !
With what should be a great receiving corps, a QB who can make all the tough throws could give Tennessee an unstoppable offense.

I don't know much about Worley. But I do know Bray can make those throws.

Last edited:
With what should be a great receiving corps, a QB who can make all the tough throws could give Tennessee an unstoppable offense.

I don't know much about Worley. But I do know Bray can make those throws.

Yup. Won't even need a punter next year.

Do you think there is any chance he seriously pushes Bray for the starting job? I wouldn't think so, but people seem to think very highly of him.

No. I just don't think Worley is ready (unless he has taken enormous strides, which doesn't seem like it according to the coaches) to be an everday QB in the SEC.

I want to see him get rid of/protect the ball when under pressure. If he does that well enough, I'll be so much more happy than I was with Simms, even if we still lose.

I want to see him get rid of/protect the ball when under pressure. If he does that well enough, I'll be so much more happy than I was with Simms, even if we still lose.

Worley will learn early. You can only bet that Spurrier knows his offense is struggling. His only hope at winning is his D-Line. Mainly Ingram, and to a degree Clowney. If Worley can get accurate passes to his quick dump guy, that should negate the D-line rush.

The weak arm is overplayed.

Yup

Simms has a strong arm and we all know how that turned out

"ESPN's Chris Mortensen called him the "wow guy" on Twitter after watching him throw in a skills competition he narrowly lost, praising Simms for his arm strength, accuracy and spinning ability. McElroy also told Mortensen he wished he "had an arm like that."

Simms' spirals draw raves at Manning camp GoVolsXtra

Anyone remember that?

I agree I brought it up and asked about it because it seemed interesting from a technical perspective since I don't know the inner workings of QB mechanics.

I understand your thought....but remember....Jeff George had the prettiest spiral with probably the strongest arm ever in the NFL....and he sucked....Drew Brees not so strong an arm or spiral.....and he is awesome......just sayin

Yup

Simms has a strong arm and we all know how that turned out

"ESPN's Chris Mortensen called him the "wow guy" on Twitter after watching him throw in a skills competition he narrowly lost, praising Simms for his arm strength, accuracy and spinning ability. McElroy also told Mortensen he wished he "had an arm like that."

Simms' spirals draw raves at Manning camp GoVolsXtra

Anyone remember that?

Then he got on the field and threw the ball into the dirt a la McNabb.

utsportstv's Channel - YouTube

Him throwing throughout this video.

Am aware the video was slowed down BUT:

1. JW throws primarily short passes. Not a knock, might be necessary against the SC pass rush.

2. Longer passes have no zip in them, may be easy picking for CB, DB, and safeties.

3. Makes me think we may see Nash given a shot before the game is over. But then again, maybe JW was just told to throw relaxed for that practice to ease him into a comfort level.

How many times have ya'll yelled at the TV with Simms at QB before he even throws the ball?

IIRC I've done it a lot. It's usually something like "throw the ball" in a very loud and aggressive tone of voice and an explicative wedged between "the" and "ball".

I'm hoping my gamedays will be much more calm with Worley at QB. That's all I want.. peace on offense.

Reactions: 2 people
Am aware the video was slowed down BUT:

1. JW throws primarily short passes. Not a knock, might be necessary against the SC pass rush.

2. Longer passes have no zip in them, may be easy picking for CB, DB, and safeties.

3. Makes me think we may see Nash given a shot before the game is over. But then again, maybe JW was just told to throw relaxed for that practice to ease him into a comfort level.

They may go the dink and dunk route like with Ainge to try to avoid pressure and sacks.

VN Store

Back