Fulmer debate extravaganza (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest bright spot and change from the CPF years to now... They guys didn't quit and just lay down once they got behind. They were still fighting to the end.

What's the over/under on the number of years folks are still saying we would be better off if we still had that ball on our chain?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I guess when we start proving we are better off. I'm glad to have CDD, but some people are a little slow to figure things out; however, I also think the Fulmer blame game is getting a little old. Time to put the past behind us. It's plain silly to blame him with the bad while ignoring the positives.

i wouldn't trade this team for any of Fulmer's last 5. its early in the season and i think we'll see a lot of improvement before the season's over. We've experienced a lot of bad luck recently. fulmer's last few seasons...we just sucked.

Ask Bama, Florida and LSU...and any AD on the planet. You get exactly what your boosters are willing to pay for. It is all that simple.

This staff in its entirety is better than anything Fulmer assembled since RG split for GA.

USC got Kiffin for $4MM

fulmer stopped winning and got fired--very simple. If dooley doesn't win big in 2-3 years, he will not be around long either.

i wouldn't trade this team for any of Fulmer's last 5. its early in the season and i think we'll see a lot of improvement before the season's over. We've experienced a lot of bad luck recently. fulmer's last few seasons...we just sucked.

This. Also, as stated before, the boys DIDN'T QUIT!!! I got SOOOO tired of watching CPF's last few teams just running up the white flag. They had no drive, no fight. Of course, who can blame them when your coach is clapping and patting you on the back after a terrible play.

I love Dooley's fire. You can see the boys responding to him. We will surprise someone this year and it will be fantastic.

Reactions: 2 people
Kiffin inherited 7-NFL'ers all with more experience than the 2008 team.

But I'm tired of it all.

The metric is simple. SECCG every three years. Make it happen. You can't back-in, you can't get "lucky." If you get there - scoreboard.

The reason for firing Fulmer was to win the game more often. I'll set the bar lower for the Hambone Experiment - just get to the damn game.

THat first part is a damn lie.

Three years later and it looks like firing CPF has led to more wins over major opponents. At least our coach is highly educated and witty now. That is worth 2 wins?

You are a fool. I liked Fulmer for quite awhile. It got so bad under his tenure that I could no longer watch games expecting to win.

Reactions: 1 person
Three years later and it looks like firing CPF has led to more wins over major opponents. At least our coach is highly educated and witty now. That is worth 2 wins?

You can't be serious, Dooley is more intelligent no doubt about it, however Fulmer had his chance with some of the most talented teams in the last 15 years. Problem is he couldn't lead, and his assistants couldn't coach.

This topic of discussion has left this wonderfully itchy rash on this program. Every once in a while someone just has to scratch it and it spreads just a little more.

What's the over/under on the number of years folks are still blaming Fulmer?

A hell of a lot fewer than the number of years that people will still be trotting out threads talking about how we're getting what we deserve for daring to fire good ole Phil.

If Fulmer was dumped unfairly, then the core of last year's and this year's teams should still have been his juniors and seniors. And they just aren't there. Look at the number of UT players drafted in recent years. The hollowing out of the talent that took this program back to absolute square one happened under Fulmer.

Fulmer's record over his last seven seasons against SEC teams other than Vandy and Kentucky: 23-21. If you take South Carolina out too then it's 18-19. That's seven full years' worth of data.

Maybe that's good enough for some of you.

Last edited:
Fulmer's record over his last seven seasons against SEC teams other than Vandy and Kentucky: 23-21. That's seven full years' worth of data.

Maybe that's good enough for some of you.

The problem is not hiring someone better than Fulmer. What are you missing?

IF Fulmer needed to go (I've always said I can sympathize a little bit), the importance was to somehow hire up. I questioned whether this could be done.

Instead we made the worst hiring decision in almost 60 years of SEC football, and that's including the MP Bama fiasco. The "Hambone Experiment" has hamstrung Coach #2, left him with absolutely a "Lost Year". Moreover, no matter what we want to say, Dooley is doing his On the Job Training at UT. I hope Dooley is LEGEND, but we go from a HoF coach who never had two bad years, and made the SECCG every three, to two coaches who are cutting their teeth at my school.

smh.

All of this. +1

I guess when we start proving we are better off. I'm glad to have CDD, but some people are a little slow to figure things out; however, I also think the Fulmer blame game is getting a little old. Time to put the past behind us. It's plain silly to blame him with the bad while ignoring the positives.

Eventually the blame game on Fulmer won't work anymore, if he haven't already gotten there; but it's just as stupid to act like things would be rosy right now had we stuck with Fulmer. It was time for him to go.

The problem is not hiring someone better than Fulmer. What are you missing?

Maybe you've missed it, but there's a considerable contingent of craniorectally inverted Tennessee fans that think that the original sin was daring to dump Fulmer in the first place. These "we're getting what we asked for" threads aren't about UT hiring poorly afterwards; they're about trying to say "Told ya so!" about making the coaching change in the first place.

Maybe you've missed it, but there's a considerable contingent of craniorectally inverted Tennessee fans that think that the original sin was daring to dump Fulmer in the first place. These "we're getting what we asked for" threads aren't about UT hiring poorly afterwards; they're about trying to say "Told ya so!" about making the coaching change in the first place.

Well, until we hire someone better, they've kinda got a point.

I know some of you aren't impressed with "just winning the East," but I enjoyed the hell out of going to ATL every few years to play for the SECCG, win or lose. Kinda depressing thinking about how long it's going to be until I go back.

This year was our best shot with Florida and Georgia being down, and we just got dogged in The Swamp. (by a first year coach with a team as young as ours.)

Last edited:
As some have stated, I too was ready for CPF to move on. I think he was ready too. A little less energy in the last several years amongst many other things to put it lightly.

I had hopes of good hire, of course, but understood the challenges at hand in someone having to follow the proceeding, long-term, and successful coaching career.

Upon learning about the Kiffin hire I was a little confused considering the track record. Al Davis may be a little looney but the guy knows football so the events at the Raiders were disconcerting. When he jumped town the way he did after his only year here, of course, it burned but I suppose I again had hopes of findin the right guy. Also knowing the next hire would need to be here a while regardless of events as a fourth coach in that short of timeframe leads to the dark ages of a football program. Almost like a self-imposed death penalty. Recruits will not even consider ya per the instability -- even where we are now that period of instability has reaped a vacuum around this program that I do believe we are slowly but surely climbing out of.

You just see things here and there that point to the fact that the program is healing. I am not saying that I am correct, just my opinion from a distance. But, if I am correct to some extent then it takes time to heal. It's not an immediate turn-around. I think some folks expect there to be a magic pill.

I think it worth the time to study Oklahoma between the late 80s and the Stoops hire. Ugly. Same in Nebraska post Osborne. Alabama post Stallings. UGA post Dooley. USC pre-Carrol. Etc... It takes time and patience.

Well, until we hire someone better, they've kinda got a point.

I know some of you aren't impressed with "just winning the East," but I enjoyed the hell out of going to ATL every few years to play for the SECCG, win or lose. Kinda depressing thinking about how long it's going to be until I go back.

This year was our best shot with Florida and Georgia being down, and we just got dogged in The Swamp. (by a first year coach with a team as young as ours.)

I'd be a heck of a lot more impressed with the "winning the SEC East every three years" argument if 2007 hadn't been such an obvious fluke. We got frogstomped by both our biggest rivals -- combined score, 100-37 -- and we backdoored our way into the SECCG by having to block a FG in a multiple OT game against Kentucky. That was not a good team by any means. And if you put a deserved asterisk by the trip to Atlanta in 2007, then the overarching, multi-year trend was obvious. A change had to be made, unless you were Vicki Fulmer and you were happy to see the guy go 8-4/7-5 every year until he broke Neyland's record.

And this is sort of beside the point, because I am by no means a Dooley apologist, but talking about how Florida's team is as young as ours ignores the fact that most of the difference in those two teams Saturday was the enormous difference in talent between their DL and our DL. Their DL controlled our offense; our DL couldn't do anything to stop theirs. And their DL may be young, but their two-deep is still nothing but five-stars and four-stars, while we're still piecing a DL together. Muschamp has better horses than Dooley.

(Which is one of the reasons why, when UT was courting him, he looked at our roster and turned us down, but when UF called a year later, he said yes. He's inherited a vastly better situation from Urban Meyer than Dooley walked into in Knoxville.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back