Who was the last home grown Tennessean football hero.

I understand all the love for Doug Atkins, Al Wilson, Reggie White, John Henderson, and so on. However, the OP was asking who the "last" hero was. IMO, it has to be Nick Reveiz or Chris Walker. They are both great talents with tremendous fortitude and played as recently as last week. To me, they are the last homegrown heroes.

man from my home town, man that my cousins and other family went to school with JAMES LITTLE MAN STUART!!!

I understand all the love for Doug Atkins, Al Wilson, Reggie White, John Henderson, and so on. However, the OP was asking who the "last" hero was. IMO, it has to be Nick Reveiz or Chris Walker. They are both great talents with tremendous fortitude and played as recently as last week. To me, they are the last homegrown heroes.

and to me neither one of those guys are even close to the ones listed. I would probably pick Chism before Reviez/Walker because of the impact to his team

but if I had to pick the "last" it's #27

Last edited:
Al Wilson would be the latest. Stayed here all 4 years, and was an outspoken leader on and off the field. A key cog in the national championship.

"hero"

hmmm.....

Al Wilson. I think he was a great role model and did great things for Tennessee.

before that I would defnitely say Reggie White who is probably the greatest homegrown product of Tennessee

if you don't think Al Wilson was then I'm not sure what team you've been watching

Al was great as well. I think I might be a little sentimental toward Reggie I was growing up when he was playing. Everybody seems larger than life when your little.

and to me neither one of those guys are even close to the ones listed. I would probably pick Chism before Reviez/Walker because of the impact to his team

but if I had to pick the "last" it's #27

I totally agree that Al Wilson is more iconic than these guys, but I stitll think a homegrown hero is a homegrown hero. Reveiz and Walker are both great college football players that any Tennessee kid can look up to and say, "I want to be like those guys when I'm in college".

I totally agree that Al Wilson is more iconic than these guys, but I stitll think a homegrown hero is a homegrown hero. Reveiz and Walker are both great college football players that any Tennessee kid can look up to and say, "I want to be like those guys when I'm in college".

great college players? Maybe on this year's squad but not when we were competing.

not knocking their contributions to the current team and glad they played at UT but other guys were All-Americans leading us to titles

I Reveiz and Walker are both great college football players that any Tennessee kid can look up to and say, "I want to be like those guys when I'm in college".

I'm sorry. I love Reveiz, admire him for what he has been able to do, and I agree kids can definitely look up to him, but really....he's not that great on the field. He is possibly the least of the great LB TN has produced.

Please tell us!

To make a long story short, both Reggie White & Charles Morgan were recruited and signed with the Vols after playing together at Howard High School in Chattanooga by Johnny Majors. Charles Morgan was actually at 1st the better of the two players and had a wonderful game against Bama which they won. After the game, Jonny Majors talking with reporters said something to the effect that Morgan had a great game but shouldn't let it go to his head or something like that. Right after Charles Morgan quit the team and never turned out to be anything and I think last I heard he was in trouble or been in jail or something like that where Reggie went on to be All-American, All-NFL, Hall of Fame, etc.....Again, I was a youngster and remember some of the details but not all so maybe someone on here a little older could shed more light on the Charles Morgan situation "what could have been"!

Eddie Moore?
moore_3298-lg.jpg

VN Store

Back