The Atlanta Braves (thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that Hanley Ramirez is 1,000x more talented than Alex Gonzalez and believe it or not, probably gives more effort. You can slant this biased because I obviously hate the guy.. But on that soft-liner to short, Gonzalez was walking back towards the dugout when Renteria dropped the ball. On ground balls to 3rd, he never moved. Even with Troy Glaus going to his left, Gonzalez never moved. I don't think he is near the "good glove" every one is trying to tout. Either he got incredibly old, incredibly fast, or he's the biggest half-asser to ever be labeled "professional." Apart from one double in Game 2, he has been slightly better than terrible. Besides trading an immense talent, I've never had a problem with Escobar getting traded because "he was such a headache." My problem was getting pennies back on the dollar and people actually being happy about it. Not to mention his incessant B'ching every time the umpire calls a strike.

All that said, if we signed Werth or Crawford I would be ecstatic. Won't happen, but oh well. I'd like to sign Adrian Beltre, but that won't happen either. The reality of the situation is that 2011 Braves will look 99% like the 2010 Braves. Bobby 2.0 in the dugout. A shell of Chipper Jones at 3rd. A lot of weight on the shoulders of a 21 yr old RF. A cleanup hitter who sit once a week. A bunch of parts that can hopefully have enough "rah-rah" chemistry to score 3 runs a game to support a dang good pitching staff that's going to waste. Liberty media blows.

Colby Rasmus would help, but everyone in the lineup is then LH. If we don't make an attempt to acquire a competent RH hitter, Liberty Media is just throwing up a gigantic middle finger, rather than the subtle one we (the fans) have been on the receiving end of since Ted left.

You do realize that Hanley Ramirez is 1,000x more talented than Alex Gonzalez and believe it or not, probably gives more effort. You can slant this biased because I obviously hate the guy.. But on that soft-liner to short, Gonzalez was walking back towards the dugout when Renteria dropped the ball.

I went ballistic when I saw that. Couldn't believe it.

Besides trading an immense talent, I've never had a problem with Escobar getting traded because "he was such a headache."
Have you noticed what Escobar's numbers were after he got to Toronto? Not exactly "immense talent" stuff.

Why? What about having a cheap, veteran SS with a good glove and a little pop don't you like?

Well, to be honest, I never was impressed with his glove. He also was a big letdown on the offensive side as well. He quickly became one of my all-time least liked Braves.

Well, to be honest, I never was impressed with his glove. He also was a big letdown on the offensive side as well. He quickly became one of my all-time least liked Braves.
I think some people may have been a little fooled by his Toronto numbers from the first half. He just is what he is . . . a decent glove that will hit .260 with plus power for a SS.

I think some people may have been a little fooled by his Toronto numbers from the first half. He just is what he is . . . a decent glove that will hit .260 with plus power for a SS.

Well I didn't count on him hitting 17 more HRs for the Braves, and he had a lot of errors. No one in the farm to look forward to? Is Hernandez's position SS?

Missed the presser. What other changes were mentioned?
Perez, Snitker, McDowell all keep their current jobs.
Pendleton goes from Hitting Coach to 1st base/infield Coach.
Gonzalez is bringing in his bench coach from Florida.
Chino Cadahia is out.
Hubbard is out.

Last edited:
Perez, Snitker, McDowell all keep their current jobs.
Pendleton goes from Hitting Coach to 1st base/infield Coach.
Gonzalez is bringing in his bench coach from Florida.
Chino Cadahia is out.
Hubbard is out

Sucks for Hubby, grew up with him at second. Any chance Pressly comes to coach up the hitters?

It's kindof ironic that we get Gonzalez, a great hire imho, when the braves decide to follow the florida team development plan.

And Crawford would be splendid...any chance realistically?

Not if Chipper comes back. He's due something like $15 million next year. Not enough to go around. I'm not sure what Kawakami's situation is though. If he's gone, it would free up like $8 million. I think the Braves would still be on the hook for that cash regardless though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back