Mike Hamilton is a genius - The Debate (merged)

VSF,
I love the audacity of Mike Hamilton.

I also love that Dooley is not a community organizer, he is a brilliant attorney with a brilliant wife. He is a southern guy who understands our community and will embrace Knoxville. He is also a guy who raised tons of money for the AD in Ruston LA. That is kind of like being a guy who made lots of sales of used kias and now is able to sell new mercedes to rich people...he will be a great asset.

You are right, La Tech and TN have similar assets and should expect similar results....hahahahahhahahahahah

That wasn't his point. OklaVol's point was...

Hamilton fired Fulmer after a 5-7 season in the SEC (against better competition) and hired Dooley after a 4-8 season in the WAC (against worse competition). One doesn't need to support rehiring Fulmer to see that's an odd turn of events.

Any comparison of assets the coaches had at their disposal should be relative to their conference's competition: LA Tech's plays in the WAC and UT plays in the SEC.

You and Mike Hamilton may think UT can do no better than to hire a coach with a losing record from the WAC, but I refuse to believe that. With Hamilton, that seems to be the best we can do. I'd like for someone else to get a chance to sell Tennessee the next time we need a coach.

Hamilton has more than proven his incompetence whether Dooley works out or not--and that incompetence is evidenced by far more than this hiring decision, its accompanying process, and its alienation of Vol faithful.

I understand that you're probably fighting for your own job (as a Hamilton goffer), but if you had anything to do with the damage that's been done to UT's football program, you simply don't deserve to keep it.

Finally, I'd suggest a different username for you. That one has a pretty short shelf life unless you think anyone who comes here is really going to care that you're a fan of a former AD.

Last edited:
Walt,
Sorry I posted the link to your website. You honestly have impressive academic credentials and have done a lot as a writer. I edited the link out. I did not know there was a privacy policy here, and I thought when you put a quote up from kirkus that was a google click away, that you were saying 2+2 =4.

You have a pretty awesome job living out in California and getting paid to write.
I just write for fun and rarely edit my posts because I take the message board writing about as seriously as I do an IM conversation on facebook.

You think Mike Hamilton is not a genius. You also got a bit angry at my mockery over the wrong ado. You also have some legit credentials as a writer. I do not read lit journals, and I have not written a short story since it was an assignment at UT.

Walt,
Sorry I posted the link to your website. You honestly have impressive academic credentials and have done a lot as a writer. I edited the link out. I did not know there was a privacy policy here, and I thought when you put a quote up from kirkus that was a google click away, that you were saying 2+2 =4.

You have a pretty awesome job living out in California and getting paid to write.
I just write for fun and rarely edit my posts because I take the message board writing about as seriously as I do an IM conversation on facebook.

You think Mike Hamilton is not a genius. You also got a bit angry at my mockery over the wrong ado. You also have some legit credentials as a writer. I do not read lit journals, and I have not written a short story since it was an assignment at UT.

You should be banned for that.

If you can't stick to arguing your points without stooping to such tactics, you don't belong here.

Arguing my points? I am not the one who started a battle of writing resumes. I just mocked using adieu when you are trying to say ado. If you were my writing student and you did that I would assume you are trying way too hard.

Arguing my points? I am not the one who started a battle of writing resumes. I just mocked using adieu when you are trying to say ado. If you were my writing student and you did that I would assume you are trying way too hard.

Whatever the 'battle' or who is to blame, what you did wrong was to post a link to Walt's website. That was improper.

And, the pronoun above should be one instead of you, but I'm not here for your writing lessons nor to present my own. It's a site where the common interest is Vols sports--where what most here want is simply what's best for the program. Most of us are not here because Mike Hamilton is the Athletics Director as contrasted to the motivation implied by your username.

I hope that's written proper enough to meet the standards expected of your writing students. If not, who cares? I'm not applying to be one and I'm quite certain Walt was not either.

Good question. Rather than hire an unproven, give Kippy a chance. He may not be the right choice either, but what's the diff? It seems MH treated him rather shabbily. I really hate that.

:good!:

I'm not sure Kippy has ever been an OC before, that would be a big jump from position coach to Head Coach, but I agree he didn't get the interview he deserved.

Well-stated. The best summary of the week. :hi:

You are right, La Tech and TN have similar assets and should expect similar results....hahahahahhahahahahah

UT has never lost 8 games in a season, hiring a coach who lost 8 in his last season is not a good omen.

That wasn't his point. OklaVol's point was...

Hamilton fired Fulmer after a 5-7 season in the SEC (against better competition) and hired Dooley after a 4-8 season in the WAC (against worse competition). One doesn't need to support rehiring Fulmer to see that's an odd turn of events.

Any comparison of assets the coaches had at their disposal should be relative to their conference's competition: LA Tech's plays in the WAC and UT plays in the SEC.

You and Mike Hamilton may think UT can do no better than to hire a coach with a losing record from the WAC, but I refuse to believe that. With Hamilton, that seems to be the best we can do. I'd like for someone else to get a chance to sell Tennessee the next time we need a coach.

Hamilton has more than proven his incompetence whether Dooley works out or not--and that incompetence is evidenced by far more than this hiring decision, its accompanying process, and its alienation of Vol faithful.

I understand that you're probably fighting for your own job (as a Hamilton goffer), but if you had anything to do with the damage that's been done to UT's football program, you simply don't deserve to keep it.

Finally, I'd suggest a different username for you. That one has a pretty short shelf life unless you think anyone who comes here is really going to care that you're a fan of a former AD.

Hamilton has made some mistakes: hiring Kiffin instead of Kelly, giving Kiffin an 800k and Fulmer a 6 million buyout, the baseball coach is a bust, and now replacing a 5-7 Fulmer with a 4-8 coach from the WAC.

Hamilton couldn't sell the university, find the guy you want and make him an offer he won't refuse. Hamilton is satisfied with no and moves on.

Does anyone believe that any of the coaches that turned Hamilton down would have turned him down if they would have offered 4-5 million a year? Hamilton is afraid to offer that kind of money because he doesn't know who's worth it. So he moved his sights lower.

Last edited:
the timing for getting another collage coach was bad,,others on the so called list where probably making more sitting on there azz.

So let me get this straight... Hamilton hires the most underqualified candidate possible...and HE'S A GENIUS?!!! Is that meant to be a joke or something? He was playing high stakes Poker with our football head coaching position. That's not what an AD is hired to do. Why not just set him up an office in Vegas and hope he cleans up and brings back hundreds of millions of dollars to the program and University? That's what he did here again. Kiffin was a High risk hire too, as he was fired and scrutinized in the media as a liar. Hamilton thinks he can't swing for the infield and make it to homebase in a few years, like he did with Pearl. Problem is..with Pearl...he got lucky. He gambled and hit one time.

Since then he's gotten cleaned out a few times, and with this hire, he say's "Hit Me!" Oh...I want to HIT HIM alright...right in the chops! There is a huge difference between the Pearl hire and this one. As our Basketball program has never been a high-profile one before, we had no choice but to look for a diamond in the rough. But with Football, that is not the case at all.

Last edited:

I'm not sure Kippy has ever been an OC before, that would be a big jump from position coach to Head Coach, but I agree he didn't get the interview he deserved.

UT has never lost 8 games in a season, hiring a coach who lost 8 in his last season is not a good omen.

Hamilton has made some mistakes: hiring Kiffin instead of Kelly, giving Kiffin an 800k and Fulmer a 6 million buyout, the baseball coach is a bust, and now replacing a 5-7 Fulmer with a 4-8 coach from the WAC.

Hamilton couldn't sell the university, find the guy you want and make him an offer he won't refuse. Hamilton is satisfied with no and moves on.

Does anyone believe that any of the coaches that turned Hamilton down would have turned him down if they would have offered 4-5 million a year? Hamilton is afraid to offer that kind of money because he doesn't know who's worth it. So he moved his sights lower.
Ding. Ding....Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

I want to save all my opinions until at least next season, I WILL NOT be fooled again.

Neyland, The Bear, and Lombardi couldn't coach the 2010 Vols to a winning record. Fulmer ran the program into the ditch. Hopefully Dooley can save much of this recruiting class and start getting things turned around in 2011 and 2012. We are going to have to be patient since Haslem and Hamilton allowed Fulmer to stay on 5 years too long.

Last edited:
Ding. Ding....Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

This argument from silence is unfair.

You assume that Dungy, or Lovie Smith or Gruden or Muschamp or...who? Please do not say the Mormon or the Scientologist...are out there and just wanted more money or a better deal...

It is not true. But I would like to see your list. Because it will be funny to look at it in 5 years.

Kind of like digging up lists of who the experts said should have been hired instead of Pearl...lots of winners in that group...

This argument from silence is unfair.

You assume that Dungy, or Lovie Smith or Gruden or Muschamp or...who? Please do not say the Mormon or the Scientologist...are out there and just wanted more money or a better deal...

It is not true. But I would like to see your list. Because it will be funny to look at it in 5 years.

Kind of like digging up lists of who the experts said should have been hired instead of Pearl...lots of winners in that group...

Muschamp, Willingham, Calhoun, or Cutcliffe wouldnt have come to UT for 4-5 million a year??

as an AD. Let's lay out the evidence:

1) After UT's football program remains in decline, with a losing 05 season and after a turbulent 07 season, that was salvaged toward the end...with a few bare misses against USCjr and KY (would've resulted in a 6-6 season), Fulmer was given a handsome raise and extension...unwarranted and unnecessary, as no other programs in the country had shown any interest in hiring Fulmer. Result...5-7 record the following season and a buyout for $6 million

2) Hires a risky, fired coach with a losing record, in Lane Kiffin (even though Al Davis is a senile man, there was documented proof that Kiffin had lied and tried to demean the organization while coaching there)...there were a dozen or more qualified, more proven prospects that went ignored.

3) Kiffin's contract put UT on the hook for $7 mill for a buyout if fired, while only $800k (declining $200k/yr) if the coach chose to leave...that is an open invitation for any coach to leave uninhibited at the first interesting opening. Colossal failure to balance the punitive measures for breaking the contract.

4) Low Buyout figure for Kiffin means UT gets stuck with any of Kiffin's staff that neither he nor we choose to retain. Net loss, up to $1.5 million

5) Provides Monte Kiffin a Retention bonus of $300K if he stays through Dec. 31 Boneheaded move on the bean-counter's part as the prime coaching turnover season is from the end of the regular season til NSD...not Dec. 31! $300k flushed down the toilet like it was nothing.

6) With Kiffin's abrupt departure, Mike Hamilton chooses the least qualified candidate to be the next Head Coach of the once proud University of Tennessee. No record, and no resume to excite the fanbase or current recruits/commits and players. Hamilton states publicly that this candidate was quote "His First Choice." Smoke or not, that is a very damning comment and one that he should be held accountable for. Never...EVER, should the Head Football Coaching job be offered to the least qualified in the market. That is very telling of what the AD thinks of UT's tradition...especially as he is a Clemson transplant, and is merely a bean counter.

When he was tasked to sell the University of Tennessee to the TOP candidates, Hamilton instead was sold BY the coaches who needed/wanted the job the most.
Even if Dooley is a swell guy and all...Bottom line in all of this...HAMILTON GOT JOBBED...BY FULMER...BY KIFFIN...AND NOW DOOLEY!

Last edited:
Just because you use a lot of words doesn't make them true or relevant. You sound like a girlfriend that just got dumped.

FAIL!

excellent points. $800k buyout was simply unacceptable.
but I'll still support Dooley 100% for the next few years.

Hamilton is a great AD that got thrown underneath a bus like the rest of the Athletic Department and the team. He hired someone within 70 hours, and that's pretty good if you ask me.

How many threads are you gonna make about the AD position? We get it you don't like him. I normally wouldn't comment but everytime I look on the forum you create another thread about the AD. It's tiresome and annoying so please just add on to the ones you've already created.

I agree with all of the above. Should Hamilton be fired? I'll wait and see if Dooley will be a success or a failure before I make that call.

VN Store

Back