Mike Hamilton is a genius - The Debate (merged)

I remember when that idiot Doug Dickey hired some fat ut letterman to coach the vols. The funniest thing is that he had never been a head coach!

I HOPE Dooley works out. I really do. But that doesn't preclude me from calling a spade a spade. When I went to bed Thursday evening/eraly Fri. morning, I remember that it looked like Cut may be getting it...and I was just hoping that when I woke up, this nightmare would be over and I'd turn on ESPN and see Lovie Smith's face in the presser...or Wittingham, or Peterson, or Edsall, Patterson...somebody we could ALL be excited about.

When you hire underqualified coaches, you're going to get this kind of division...just like you had leading up to Fulmer's firing. Lots of heated, nasty debates about loyalty to the program vs. rectifying a glaring problem

Excellent post and I feel quite the same way. Now we just have to wait and see what he does in salvaging this recruiting class, how well he does on the field, and how he does in recruiting his own class next year.

Any way it goes, Dooley's success is directly tied to Hammy. If Dooley stinks it up, Hammy is gone with him. If he does well, most of the fanbase forgets about the last 4 days and moves on with life. Let's just drop the AD conversation and get behind both he and Hammy and see where they take us. If we don't like where we end up, we can always go another direction. It's a business, results are expected, and coaching changes happen relatively to that success. People just need things to ***** about in order to be happy or think it makes their arguments important or relevant.

I suspect the Board of Trustees will discuss the issue long before UT plays another football game. Their regular winter meeting is next month and I can't imagine this issue would be omitted, if it has not been resolved prior to the meeting's commencement.

Everybody is held accountable by somebody. That's just life and, ironically, the decision may have nothing to do with whether or not this was a 'quality' hire. There's a lot of baggage on contracts and process that concerns far more powerful people than you or me.

Asking posters on the site to forget about it won't make it go away. It neither started nor will finish here.

Dooley can survive without Hamilton, but I agree that Hamilton cannot survive without Dooley's success. In fact, that dependence on the head coach is what some have referenced as potentiall explanation for a neglect in oversight for Kiffin's actions. Thus, the dependence may not work in Hamilton's favor as one could see how his dependence on the success of a risky hire could lead him to decisions that are not in the program's best interests.

In any case, I've shared my thoughts on the topic, but I can assure I have no plans to apply for his job.

Like you, I want UT football to succeed. The program is bigger than one man.

Last edited:
Like I said, people should submit there resumes, so that way we can get some competent people in the AD.
You come on here and speculate about all manner of things...even though your are neither a coach or AD employed, so why don't you just shove it up your tailpipe? By your own contrived standards you don't qualify to open your pie hole one bit here...but that won't stop you, will it?

Last edited:
Quit crying and make a list please. If I call you Cowboy will it help?

Your list may be mocked openly if it includes people like Dungy, Gruden and Cowher who would not come to UT if you gave them 5 million a year and gave them a second name on the stadium.

If it includes people who might have come, guys we had a shot with, then I expect in 5 years Hamilton will be vindicated and you will either admit you are wrong or become a bitter person hoping for the team you claim to root for to fail so you do not look as stupid.

Go ahead...top 5 guys who would have been better than Dooley...

Mike Hamilton is an idiot. He got lucky with Bruce Pearl. He doesnt' care about UT tradition, he cares about himself. People on this board want to bash Coach Fulmer but aren't old enough to remember when going 7-4 was a blessing. Coach Fulmer record at UT 152-52 ranks second behind Gen Neyland. Get out your history books and look at the schedules comparing the two and you will easily see Fulmer records is by far more impressive. It was time for a change on the hill, I agree, but the way Hamilton handled the transition was classless which explains why he could relate to Lame Kiffin. Hamilton needs to be fired now and I for one will be calling the Board of Trustees demanding his head on a USC Platter. Coach Dooley seems to be a class act and I will support him 100
% and every vol fan should. But as a Vol fan it hurts to see the childish juvenile comments on this board attacking a True Vol Legend in Coach Fulmer.

How would firing Hamilton now be beneficial to the football program moving ahead?

For one, UT will probably be replacing the baseball coach at the end of the season, I don't have confidence in Hamilton replacing him.

Mike Hamilton is an idiot. He got lucky with Bruce Pearl. He doesnt' care about UT tradition, he cares about himself. People on this board want to bash Coach Fulmer but aren't old enough to remember when going 7-4 was a blessing. Coach Fulmer record at UT 152-52 ranks second behind Gen Neyland. Get out your history books and look at the schedules comparing the two and you will easily see Fulmer records is by far more impressive. It was time for a change on the hill, I agree, but the way Hamilton handled the transition was classless which explains why he could relate to Lame Kiffin. Hamilton needs to be fired now and I for one will be calling the Board of Trustees demanding his head on a USC Platter. Coach Dooley seems to be a class act and I will support him 100
% and every vol fan should. But as a Vol fan it hurts to see the childish juvenile comments on this board attacking a True Vol Legend in Coach Fulmer.

Majors last 4 seasons at UT were better in terms of wins and losses then Fulmer's last 4. Fulmer left the program in worse shape then the one he inherited it. That's why you see a lot of criticism on this board of Fulmer.

I agree Fulmer did a lot of good things for the University, but there really is no easy way to let a coach go who has been at UT that long go. It's painful no matter how it's done.

A transition to a position in the AD would have been the only out, and Fulmer wanted to stay long enough to break Neyland's record for most wins, which most people were against.

When Joe Pa was struggling, everyone was saying the game has passed him by. Wrong.
When Bobby Bowden was struggling, he was given a chance to go out on top.
Pat Dye went out on top and promoted to AD.
Vince Dooley went out on top.
Fulmer was forced into the Dave Clawson hire and it blew up in his face, Coach just asked for the opportunity to fix it and he wasn't given the chance. Hamilton's actions in the dismissal of Fulmer sent a message to the Coaches across the land there is no loyalty at UT. This is why all the big name coaches turned down UT, they didn't trust Hamilton.
Remember Coach Fulmer was the president of the national College Coaches Assoc., National Coach of the Year recipient, national Championship, numerous SEC Championships, and ran one of the cleanest programs in College Football and Hamilton replaced him with The PUNK Lame Kiffin. Yes that is the direction Hamilton wants for UT>

if anyone thinks Hamilton fired Fulmer without the big checkbooks giving their blessings is not living in reality. If you think Hamilton hires a football coach without the Check Books blessings is not living in reality. Hamilton ultimately gets the blame which any AD ultimately does.

Did I read a article where Haslam met with Dooley prior to being offered the job?

When Joe Pa was struggling, everyone was saying the game has passed him by. Wrong.
When Bobby Bowden was struggling, he was given a chance to go out on top.
Pat Dye went out on top and promoted to AD.
Vince Dooley went out on top.
Fulmer was forced into the Dave Clawson hire and it blew up in his face, Coach just asked for the opportunity to fix it and he wasn't given the chance. Hamilton's actions in the dismissal of Fulmer sent a message to the Coaches across the land there is no loyalty at UT. This is why all the big name coaches turned down UT, they didn't trust Hamilton.
Remember Coach Fulmer was the president of the national College Coaches Assoc., National Coach of the Year recipient, national Championship, numerous SEC Championships, and ran one of the cleanest programs in College Football and Hamilton replaced him with The PUNK Lame Kiffin. Yes that is the direction Hamilton wants for UT>

First, he didn't win numerous championships he won 2.

Second, the program he ran wasn't that clean. The Fulmer cup goes to the program with the most arrests during the season. There's a good reason it's named after Fulmer.

Third, Fulmer wasn't forced into the Dave Clawson hire. Cutcliffe left on his own to go to Duke.

You come on here and speculate about all manner of things...even though your are neither a coach or AD employed, so why don't you just shove it up your tailpipe? By your own contrived standards you don't qualify to open your pie hole one bit here...but that won't stop you, will it?

The true Tennanious shows up. Your trying to relate recruiting HS kids and being the AD of a major university. Speculation is all you have with the HS kids, yet all the armchair AD's on here think they could have done something different without knowing anything with what the job is about. It's apples to oranges man, and you show your true side with trying to drag someone through the mud with you and bring them down to your level. This is why NO ONE values anything you say on this board, and if they do, it's more of a sympathy play. So, without further ado, you have just entered ignoreland. Have fun splashing around down there with the other idiots in there.

Last edited:
Genius is not a label I'd attach to mike hamilton. I can think of others more appropriate.

Kiffin actually signed for less than he could have so that there would me more money for assistant coaches.

Kiffin's buyout was 50% of a year's pay reduced by 10 % a year.

So Kiffin was able to leave and the puny buyout did nothing to stop him.

Cutcliffe wanted to bring his own staff but Hamilton didn't want to pay off the current staff who were making a lot of dough because Kiffin took less than a full salary.

I guess giving Kiffin a reduced salary and giving the money to his staff seemed like a good idea at the time.

You are better off with Dooley anyway.

SoCal

Hamilton learned all he needed to know about running an athletic endeavor from his old boss, Steve Pedersen (look him up in your early 90s football programs). Yes, the same idiot that as AD ran Nebraska into the ground by firing Frank Solich and hiring Bill Callahan, who is such a jerk that the Raiders assistant coaches had to keep the players from beating him up. Pedersen was also know for his blatant disrespect for all things traditional at Nebraska, including former players. He actually went around the athletic complex and had many of the old pictures and awards taken down and replaced with NU advertising in an effort to make things "fresh and new". Hammy didnt fall far from the Pedersen tree.

Hamilton learned all he needed to know about running an athletic endeavor from his old boss, Steve Pedersen (look him up in your early 90s football programs). Yes, the same idiot that as AD ran Nebraska into the ground by firing Frank Solich and hiring Bill Callahan, who is such a jerk that the Raiders assistant coaches had to keep the players from beating him up. Pedersen was also know for his blatant disrespect for all things traditional at Nebraska, including former players. He actually went around the athletic complex and had many of the old pictures and awards taken down and replaced with NU advertising in an effort to make things "fresh and new". Hammy didnt fall far from the Pedersen tree.

Yeah, I am sure the three years that Pedersen spent as the Football Administrator really rubbed off while Hamilton was working on fundraising. Hamilton spent more time under Dickey.

VN Store

Back