Kiffin needs adult supervision....

I'll jump in the fire as well. I've read the article a few times now and just don't see the "hate" or inaccuracies that most of you are referring to. If anything, the author seems like a loyal vol fan with perhaps a justified (though overly dramatic) level of concern... but not hate. And, before you also label me a "Fulmerite"... trust me, that is not the case. I think Kiffin has done an excellent job of keeping UT in the spotlight. This was probably necessary when he first arrived to help with recruiting. However, he's now had one successful year of bringing in new talent and based on present status... his second year will be even better. I like his brashness on the field, and at this point that's where the results will mean the most.

On the other hand, I've lost count of the number of posters that seemingly can only contribute insults... versus insight or introspect. For those of you who disagree, I would challenge you to read the article again and respond with what it is you actually disagree with because there's quite a bit in the article that most have already agreed to in other VN posts...

Coach Lane Kiffin has been called brash, cocky, and arrogant. - True.
These descriptions and actions have been cheered by the Vol nation because it helps recruiting, and recruiting is the name of the game. - True
Kiffin takes his personal assistant, who is forbidden to do off-campus recruiting, on a recruiting trip to a Florida high school. The assistant graduated from the school. - True
It’s unfortunate that these two young women now find themselves at the center of a scandal. - True
Is it a coincidence the investigations are occurring on the eve of the recruiting season? - We've all thought the same.

No one outside of Knoxville would be worried about Kiffin's antics if they didn't think he was turning the program around.

He would just be another Lovable Loser like Bobby Johnson. It's amazing how a coach's popularity goes up with opposing fans when he starts failing, just look at how Steve Spurrier and Phil Fulmer have gone from being feared opponents to admired elder statesmen of the game..

Correct. That makes this "journalist" a lemming. He doesn't have one original thought. He is just regurgitating the incorrect information written by the hack from the New York Times. You have chosen to believe everything in these articles without one shred of proof. That makes you a lemming as well.
Beat me to it.

I don't believe our coaches are angels. I do absolutely believe that Lane will go in some gray areas of the rules as far as the NCAA is concerned when it comes to recruiting. This staff and this conference is too competitive not to push for every advantage he can. Do I believe the staff is coaching girls to do whatever it takes to land these recruits? Absolutely not, not even close.

The two kids in the initial NYT article were already committed. What is more likely these two girls went on their own or the university sent these girls to see recruits that were already committed? This Easterwood idiot will not even talk to the NCAA, says he was misquoted, and was so offended that he took five visits to UT when his son was being recruited.

I'll jump in the fire as well. I've read the article a few times now and just don't see the "hate" or inaccuracies that most of you are referring to. If anything, the author seems like a loyal vol fan with perhaps a justified (though overly dramatic) level of concern... but not hate. And, before you also label me a "Fulmerite"... trust me, that is not the case. I think Kiffin has done an excellent job of keeping UT in the spotlight. This was probably necessary when he first arrived to help with recruiting. However, he's now had one successful year of bringing in new talent and based on present status... his second year will be even better. I like his brashness on the field, and at this point that's where the results will mean the most.

On the other hand, I've lost count of the number of posters that seemingly can only contribute insults... versus insight or introspect. For those of you who disagree, I would challenge you to read the article again and respond with what it is you actually disagree with because there's quite a bit in the article that most have already agreed to in other VN posts...

These descriptions and actions have been cheered by the Vol nation because it helps recruiting, and recruiting is the name of the game. - True
Kiffin takes his personal assistant, who is forbidden to do off-campus recruiting, on a recruiting trip to a Florida high school. The assistant graduated from the school. - True
It’s unfortunate that these two young women now find themselves at the center of a scandal. - True
Is it a coincidence the investigations are occurring on the eve of the recruiting season? - We've all thought the same.

My only problem with the "news" article is that it isn't news. Any 7th grader could have written it after reading the hacks from The Times.

But you list Pete Carroll as a guy who does it right. His recent history includes:
* NCAA Investigation
* Secondary Violations
* Recruiting Violations
* Running up the score
* Steroid accusations
* A press conference criticizing Sanchez for going pro.
* Player photographed flipping off ND students during game
* Player videoed grinding behind Erin Andrews during game
* Etc, etc., etc.

Yet you like the way he goes about his business. CLK has a long way to go to match his controversies.

Pete Carroll has been at USC for 8 years and most of what you list amounts to nothing.I also mentioned Frank Beamer and Mack Brown.

On the other hand, I've lost count of the number of posters that seemingly can only contribute insults... versus insight or introspect. For those of you who disagree, I would challenge you to read the article again and respond with what it is you actually disagree with because there's quite a bit in the article that most have already agreed to in other VN posts... .

This.

Pete Carroll has been at USC for 8 years and most of what you list amounts to nothing.I also mentioned Frank Beamer and Mack Brown.

and what have those 2 really accomplished? Beamer's nice if you don't want to win the big one and take Brown out of TX and he's Fulmer

- There are currently two NCAA investigations into Vol recruiting. – FALSE

- Two very pretty young college girls drive 200 miles to attend a high school football game and cheer on two UT prospects. – FALSE – But I do give him credit for actually being able to quote the incorrect mileage listed by the hack NYT “journalist”

- Does a top recruit sign with a school under pending NCAA sanctions? – With NO NCAA investigations, I would say that the likelihood of “pending NCAA sanctions” is remote at best. However, USC, which WAS under a wide-ranging NCAA investigation, has continued to land entire draft classes loaded with 5-star and 4-star recruits.

Just about every word other than those quoted by you or by me is pure speculation or biased drivel written by a hack reporter with no journalistic skills but a clear agenda.

...and I just love this idiot's concern that he expresses for the girls a few paragraphs before he insinuates that they're sluts. That's journalistic integrity at its best.

Last edited:
I really don't care what the other coaches or Slime thinks of Kiffin. I'd rather be hated and successful then respected and continue to get beat like a drum year in and year out. These guys are his peers yes, but they don't care if he gets fired because they beat him every year. Take care of Tennessee Lane and let the assclowns think and say what they want. They really don't matter in the overall scheme of things.

Just win games and recruit well and it all will come out in the wash.

Both are great coaches and proven winners who go about their jobs with quiet confidence and class.
Didn't Mack Brown have a run in with the author of the original article in the NYT? Maybe I'm mistaken but I believe Mack and Thamel butted heads about a recruit a few years ago.

No one outside of Knoxville would be worried about Kiffin's antics if they didn't think he was turning the program around.

He would just be another Lovable Loser like Bobby Johnson. It's amazing how a coach's popularity goes up with opposing fans when he starts failing, just look at how Steve Spurrier and Phil Fulmer have gone from being feared opponents to admired elder statesmen of the game..

BAM!!!! Argument over.... Volmania wins.

All this negative press just goes to prove the Lane Train is on track and on schedule. You can smell the fear of our opponents. It's time to get on board or eat dust. I'm in for the ride of my life. GBO!

Didn't Mack Brown have a run in with the author of the original article in the NYT? Maybe I'm mistaken but I believe Mack and Thamel butted heads about a recruit a few years ago.

You are correct...somewhat, It was the Times, just Thamel's understudy, Thayer Evans.

1) Pete Carroll has been at USC for 8 years and most of what you list amounts to nothing.I also mentioned Frank Beamer and 2) Mack Brown.

1) In your view. Just as most of what CLK has done in terms of controversy amounts to nothing in our view.

2) As BPV said last night, Mack Brown is Fulmer with a better recruiting base.

But you list Pete Carroll as a guy who does it right. His recent history includes:
* NCAA Investigation
* Secondary Violations
* Recruiting Violations
* Running up the score
* Steroid accusations
* A press conference criticizing Sanchez for going pro.
* Player photographed flipping off ND students during game
* Player videoed grinding behind Erin Andrews during game
* Etc, etc., etc.

Yet you like the way he goes about his business. CLK has a long way to go to match his controversies.
YouTube - Pete Carroll says '**** you' to Mike Bellotti

If everyone here knew Frank Cagle, (apparently Hat does) they wouldn't be so quick to jump on his wagon. Bad apple doesn't begin to describe him.
Metropulse hasn't always been his job. His discretions are beyond the scope of a message board but he is the definition of corrupt.

Metro Pulse...really? I'm going to start reading the Memphis Flyer for all practical news and sports from now on.

- There are currently two NCAA investigations into Vol recruiting. – FALSE

Incorrect. The two investigations are regarding the hostesses, and the visit by the assistant to his formal HS in Florida with Kiffin.

- Two very pretty young college girls drive 200 miles to attend a high school football game and cheer on two UT prospects. – FALSE – But I do give him credit for actually being able to quote the incorrect mileage listed by the hack NYT “journalist”

So you're this upset over a difference of ~ 30 miles? Clearly the author was just quoting what had previously been reported.

- Does a top recruit sign with a school under pending NCAA sanctions? – With NO NCAA investigations, I would say that the likelihood of “pending NCAA sanctions” is remote at best. However, USC, which WAS under a wide-ranging NCAA investigation, has continued to land entire draft classes loaded with 5-star and 4-star recruits.

Just about every word other than those quoted by you or by me is pure speculation or biased drivel written by a hack reporter with no journalistic skills but a clear agenda.

...and I just love this idiot's concern that he expresses for the girls a few paragraphs before he insinuates that they're sluts. That's journalistic integrity at its best.

Please direct me to the comments where he insinuates the girls are sluts...

It’s unfortunate that these two young women now find themselves at the center of a scandal. The suggestions out there on the Internet, based on no evidence, are troubling.
Then goes onto this:

Are you proud to have discussions in the press about UT co-eds “brushing breasts” against recruits, or that the new catchphrase around the conference is that you can’t spell “slut” without UT? Any of you have daughters at UT?

VN Store

Back