'10 WA QB Garrett Grayson

man he is average at best from what I saw

no zip on throws....decent mobility...side arm delivery....floats almost every pass

Rettig looks like a much greater prospect

does appear to be quite accurate though

I agree with you that over 20 yards he puts air on it and it is soft but under 20 he has all the zip you need and is right on target. He is not side arm delivery he at times adjust throwing motion but I saw him over hand it most of the time. Brees does the same thing in the NFL as did Flutie as did Gannon as did many others. The concern is the lack of zip over or around 20 yards. He will need to work on it as does Scroggins (who is not a savior as a QB but as a recruiting magnet).

He is not perfect for sure but nobody really is at this point. Take Rettig and arm strength is great but we have to teach him how to throw with touch and accuracy. Take Grayson and we have to work on his arm strength and possibly a tendency to run to quickly instead of staying in pocket. Rettig is not going anywhere so that is not a concern. Overall taking legs into account Grayson seems like a better prospect but I dont know anything about how smart he is or his character etc. Rettig is supposed to be a bright guy from what I heard. This is just my opinion, but the reality is there is not a clear cut super QB out there who has not committed.

Seems like two different QB's, similar situations.

Rettig = slow in pocket, cannon arm. Upside exists if he develops touch and accuracy.
Grayson = athletic, quick, floats some passes. Upside exists if works hard at repetition on different kinds of throws and develops some strength.

I will take the guy with the stronger arm every time.

Al Davis thinks the same way, except when Gruden convinced him to take chance on Gannon, which is the only time the Raiders have been good in forever. Shuler, Leaf, Russell, George all cannons not enough touch or bright enough. Rettig's arm just get him consideration if the coaches think he is actually coachable a bright guy etc he is worth a shot but arm strength is just one factor like any other. Favre was good cuz of arm and mobility and heart. Manning is the ultimate student of the game with a good arm. But some like Gannon or Brees have other abilitied like an ability to throw a ball that is very catchable and right on target hitting guys in stride while moving around from different arm angles that makes them great. Sorry for the rant just not a fan of the get the guy with the cannon philosophy.

Al Davis thinks the same way, except when Gruden convinced him to take chance on Gannon, which is the only time the Raiders have been good in forever. Shuler, Leaf, Russell, George all cannons not enough touch or bright enough. Rettig's arm just get him consideration if the coaches think he is actually coachable a bright guy etc he is worth a shot but arm strength is just one factor like any other. Favre was good cuz of arm and mobility and heart. Manning is the ultimate student of the game with a good arm. But some like Gannon or Brees have other abilitied like an ability to throw a ball that is very catchable and right on target hitting guys in stride while moving around from different arm angles that makes them great. Sorry for the rant just not a fan of the get the guy with the cannon philosophy.

Have you not seen the Sprint commercial? 6'6" with a ROCKET LASER ARM. That is better than a good arm my friend!

Have you not seen the Sprint commercial? 6'6" with a ROCKET LASER ARM. That is better than a good arm my friend!

LOL, well if the sprint commercial said it...He has a very strong arm and is accurate yes. But there are tall guys with srong arms in every recruiting class does not make them Manning unless they are going to study the game constantly and can throw it on target.

I agree with you that over 20 yards he puts air on it and it is soft but under 20 he has all the zip you need and is right on target. He is not side arm delivery he at times adjust throwing motion but I saw him over hand it most of the time. Brees does the same thing in the NFL as did Flutie as did Gannon as did many others. The concern is the lack of zip over or around 20 yards. He will need to work on it as does Scroggins (who is not a savior as a QB but as a recruiting magnet).

He is not perfect for sure but nobody really is at this point. Take Rettig and arm strength is great but we have to teach him how to throw with touch and accuracy. Take Grayson and we have to work on his arm strength and possibly a tendency to run to quickly instead of staying in pocket. Rettig is not going anywhere so that is not a concern. Overall taking legs into account Grayson seems like a better prospect but I dont know anything about how smart he is or his character etc. Rettig is supposed to be a bright guy from what I heard. This is just my opinion, but the reality is there is not a clear cut super QB out there who has not committed.

you know, after seeing that kids offense of line, I may be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Back to football though, though a cannon isn't necessarily a must it is nice to have. You don't want a noodle arm out there throwing things that will either get picked off, or at the least get your wide receivers killed while they wait for the ball to arrive. That's what makes Manning so good. He has a laser rocket arm AND is the ultimate student of the game. If he wasn't a student, he'd be Ryan Leaf. I know it's heresy to say that, but that's really what separated the two in the draft and caused one to be successful and the other to not be. Well, that and a lack of behavioral medication.

Back to football though, though a cannon isn't necessarily a must it is nice to have. You don't want a noodle arm out there throwing things that will either get picked off, or at the least get your wide receivers killed while they wait for the ball to arrive. That's what makes Manning so good. He has a laser rocket arm AND is the ultimate student of the game. If he wasn't a student, he'd be Ryan Leaf. I know it's heresy to say that, but that's really what separated the two in the draft and caused one to be successful and the other to not be. Well, that and a lack of behavioral medication.

yeah leaf is so bad he got moved to the robber position.:)

I did not see it anywhere but I thought this should be put on here when he spoke of Tennessee---“I would love to play football at the University of Tennessee,” Grayson said. “I have always been a big fan of Peyton Manning, he has always been a big role model for me, to play at the same school that he did would be an incredible honor.” “They play in the best conference in the country, I would love to be a Volunteer, it would be a dream come true.”

Scout.com: Garrett Grayson would love to be a VOL

I mean really guys can we get this kid an offer or what?

He is too eager :) Something must be wrong.

I mean what does he have to do? Won golden gun, numbers are awesome, speed height all check check, arm strength is not so bad, and watching his film it is easily fixable. I just think he is out of the spot light and getting missed. He is better then Mason for sure. I have no doubts there. Rees I can only guess have never seen any film of him. So if we are not getting Scroggins then Rettig and Grayson are a much better package then anything that includes Mason. IMO

I did not see it anywhere but I thought this should be put on here when he spoke of Tennessee---“I would love to play football at the University of Tennessee,” Grayson said. “I have always been a big fan of Peyton Manning, he has always been a big role model for me, to play at the same school that he did would be an incredible honor.” “They play in the best conference in the country, I would love to be a Volunteer, it would be a dream come true.”

Scout.com: Garrett Grayson would love to be a VOL

I mean really guys can we get this kid an offer or what?

lol.... I'm not kidding. What else can the kid do to convince them to give him an offer?

“Washington and Washington State is showing a lot of interest,” Grayson said. “I don’t care how far a school is, a chance to play in the SEC would be worth the distance.”

Grayson, who has received some letters from the UT coaching staff, hopes that the coaching staff is aware of his recent success at the Elite 11 camp.

“Hopefully they will find out more about me,” Grayson said. “I would love to come down and take a visit and meet them face to face. I’m expecting Lane Kiffin to be an incredible college head coach.”

I mean what does he have to do? Won golden gun, numbers are awesome, speed height all check check, arm strength is not so bad, and watching his film it is easily fixable. I just think he is out of the spot light and getting missed. He is better then Mason for sure. I have no doubts there. Rees I can only guess have never seen any film of him. So if we are not getting Scroggins then Rettig and Grayson are a much better package then anything that includes Mason. IMO

If Scroggins is out of the picture...i agree. I would like to see Rettig and Grayson

Does anyone have the info on if Kiffin and Chaney have looked at this guy? If not can anyone make sure they have seen this guys film, numbers, the fact he has won MVP at every camp he has gone to, etc?

Does anyone have the info on if Kiffin and Chaney have looked at this guy? If not can anyone make sure they have seen this guys film, numbers, the fact he has won MVP at every camp he has gone to, etc?

Dude...they know.

How do you know? :unsure:

Do you honestly think a staff full of some of the best recruiters in college football would know about LESS players than random people on a message board? I guarantee they have evaluated this guy at one time or another. If he is doing interviews on Scout, they know about him.

Do you honestly think a staff full of some of the best recruiters in college football would know about LESS players than random people on a message board? I guarantee they have evaluated this guy at one time or another. If he is doing interviews on Scout, they know about him.

I know they know his name. They know he is a QB. But have they sat down and watched his film made calls to experts they trust who have seen him etc? There is a difference. He is about as far away as he can be without being in Alaska or Hawaii. :hi:

Amen....and MOST inportant...they have WATCHED the kids play in person, not a highlight tape.

Its fun to talk about how good some kid is from Tim-buc-two, but how many on this site have ever seen Scroggins, rettig, Grayson, ect...play in a game???

BTW...I like the fact the kid wants to play for UT.....not just where he can play the quickest.

Yet another guy that could easily tear it up in the SEC with the right coaching, which Im thinking we have. Expect about 10 more to come out of the woods in their senior year.

VN Store

Back