The (many) indictments of Donald Trump

That is incorrect. There is audio of Trump discussing it with Cohen.

And, honestly, does anyone in their right mind still believe that he paid her off over the embarrassment factor to his wife? Please.

View attachment 638302
If you say so chief. It seems that this audio hasn't seen the light of day yet.
If you have this "audio" handy then post it for us to hear but until then STFU.

If you say so chief. It seems that this audio hasn't seen the light of day yet.
If you have this "audio" handy then post it for us to hear but until then STFU.

Annnnndddddd.... it was played yesterday at the trial.

1714752802252.gif

Annnnndddddd.... it was played yesterday at the trial.

View attachment 638309

More specifically as to Trump, himself:

And what was illegal about it?

To me, they have to prove:

1) Payment was made.
2) Trump knew payment was made, before or as it happened
3) The purpose of the payment was to influence the election
4) The payment was intentionally listed fraudulently as for legal services, i.e. laundered through Cohen, and Trump knew that

To me, 1 and 2 are proven.

# 3 the defense is going to try to argue that this was not about the election but was to avoid embarrassing his family. I find that extremely hard to believe but that is the defense theory and they have not had their chance to offer that yet. And remember, they only have to establish a reasonable doubt that this was the motivation, not overwhelmingly prove it. Personally, I think you'd have to be a moron not to think it was about the election. But, at least in theory, it only takes one dug in moron on the jury to at least get a mistrial.

#4 is the hardest part. Cohen may be the premier witness on that point and he has credibility problems. Again, the defense may have the upper hand as to reasonable doubt on this, but the prosecution is not yet concluded, so let's see what else they have on it.

To me, they have to prove:

1) Payment was made.
2) Trump knew payment was made, before or as it happened
3) The purpose of the payment was to influence the election
4) The payment was intentionally listed fraudulently as for legal services, i.e. laundered through Cohen, and Trump knew that

To me, 1 and 2 are proven.

# 3 the defense is going to try to argue that this was not about the election but was to avoid embarrassing his family. I find that extremely hard to believe but that is the defense theory and they have not had their chance to offer that yet. And remember, they only have to establish a reasonable doubt that this was the motivation, not overwhelmingly prove it. Personally, I think you'd have to be a moron not to think it was about the election. But, at least in theory, it only takes one dug in moron on the jury to at least get a mistrial.

#4 is the hardest part. Cohen may be the premier witness on that point and he has credibility problems. Again, the defense may have the upper hand as to reasonable doubt on this, but the prosecution is not yet concluded, so let's see what else they have on it.
#1 isn't a crime
#2 isn't a crime
#3 isn't a crime
#4 would be an IRS issue if they disagreed with the classification

At best you have some misdemeanors in which the SoL has expired.

#1 isn't a crime
#2 isn't a crime
#3 isn't a crime

# 4 is the crime. 1, 2, and 3 are the predicate acts.

If convicted, Trump is free to appeal and seek a determination that # 4 is not actually a felony that avoids the SOL defense. I have no idea how the NY appellate court would view that argument.

#1 isn't a crime
#2 isn't a crime
#3 isn't a crime

Driving or being in control of a motor vehicle isn’t a crime.
Doing so on a public roadway or place frequented by the public isn’t a crime.
Being drunk isn’t a crime.

# 4 is the crime. 1, 2, and 3 are the predicate acts.

If convicted, Trump is free to appeal and seek a determination that # 4 is not actually a felony that avoids the SOL defense. I have no idea how the NY appellate court would view that argument.

Incredibly weak case. Paying hush money isn't a crime, doing so to influence and election isn't a crime, MAYBE the bookkeeping is questionable and chargeable but again that would be a misdemeanor and the SoL has expired.

Incredibly weak case. Paying hush money isn't a crime, doing so to influence and election isn't a crime, MAYBE the bookkeeping is questionable and chargeable but again that would be a misdemeanor and the SoL has expired.

My understanding is that you are incorrect about # 4 and that it has been litigated and Trump has lost that issue at the trial court level. As I say, he can of course appeal that if convicted.

My understanding is that you are incorrect about # 4 and that it has been litigated and Trump has lost that issue at the trial court level. As I say, he can of course appeal that if convicted.

When/where has that been litigated?

When/where has that been litigated?

Trump's side had also asked, in papers filed in September, to dismiss the entirety of the case as too old , including on statute of limitations grounds, and as legally defective. This, too, the judge rejected.

VN Store

Back