2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one post player that might be a possibility for us is Amina Mohammad that got in the portal out of Texas. She would give us that extra post presence we need.

Yeah I’m really hoping we ride hard for her. She has the kind of length, mobility and athleticism we are looking for.

I think she was interested in UT the first time around but chose Texas. We had a hard time landing players like that. With the new staff and new system (similar to what she’s coming from at Texas) we should be more attractive to those kind of players.

In the system we ran before a player like that just got lost, like Jill, we never got her opportunities in transition or off cuts in the paint for good looks. That will be a big part of what we do in the half court next season.

I think the big difference is Caldwell is strong on rebounding where he never cared to rebound. It was usually five players all the same size that got bashed on the boards, but at one time when he had the talent was fairly effective in winning. I think he could've had some much stronger teams then and now if he emphasized the boards more than he seems to since he has been there.
I've said caldwell's style reminds me of Arkansas offense and Auburn defense.

Actually the Walton family is apparently funding the men's team now, which could possibly open up money for the women.

It’s so weird to see Calipari there. He looks so depressed in his videos and the Arkansas colors.

I said on here after Kentucky got bounced they were going to fire him. Someone jumped down my throat that I was an idiot and there was no way, lifetime contract blah blah blah.

Fired. (Not publicly, but come on, he didn’t leave on his own lol)

I like Arkansas so I hope he can do something there but I think he’s just kind of over it. His history of recruiting all those one and done guys has to make it a tough job to put together a competitive team every year. He’d do better to try and recruit more like UT at Arkansas imo. He needs some guys that will stick around.

Reactions: brittannica

Which to me is basically a healthy Texas or Ohio State team. Up in your business defensively and in your grill on offense. Going to be a much more aggressive style of play on both ends. Arkansas was very passive, both offensively and defensively.

The last player they had who could truly force the issue and was just THAT good was Chelsea Dungee. She was a stud and the reason for his early success at Arkansas.

Reactions: krichunaka
I mostly agree, but I'll say again that Caldwell's offense creates MANY more opportunities than the Arkansas offense, which is one and done. Last year, Marshall was 7th in the entire NCAA in offensive rebounds per game. Arkansas was 283rd.

I mostly agree, but I'll say again that Caldwell's offense creates MANY more opportunities than the Arkansas offense, which is one and done. Last year, Marshall was 7th in the entire NCAA in offensive rebounds per game. Arkansas was 283rd.

Yeah, not the same lol. People trying to act like we’re going to look like Arkansas are just trying to find ways to drum up negativity and imagined “concern.”

Watching them not attempt to rebound so often was strange for sure. Rebounding worries me, but less since we got Spearman. Some say we actually don't need a post at all with this system. How does that work for rebounding, esp against teams with alot of size and esp when forced into the half court? I'm trying to learn so I can quit worrying.
Ole Miss. Start 5 players ranging from 6'0 to 6'2 that are all long, athletic, crash the boards and pretty much interchangeable. Isolate 1-on-1 in half court sets and use your speed/athletic advantage to get by your defender or get to the line.

Ole Miss. Start 5 players ranging from 6'0 to 6'2 that are all long, athletic, crash the boards and pretty much interchangeable. Isolate 1-on-1 in half court sets and use your speed/athletic advantage to get by your defender or get to the line.
Not making me feel much better. Their offense was often awful and as a team they were only moderately successful. Probably bc they just didn't have enough horses.

IMO, bottom line, no system matters more than having superior players.

Yeah I’m really hoping we ride hard for her. She has the kind of length, mobility and athleticism we are looking for.

I think she was interested in UT the first time around but chose Texas. We had a hard time landing players like that. With the new staff and new system (similar to what she’s coming from at Texas) we should be more attractive to those kind of players.

In the system we ran before a player like that just got lost, like Jill, we never got her opportunities in transition or off cuts in the paint for good looks. That will be a big part of what we do in the half court next season.
Muhammed would be great. Not sure Tennessee was on her radar. I thought her HS teammate Smayah Smith was the one who was interested, but signed with LSU instead. IIRC, Amina committed to Texas pretty early. I wonder if TAMU is an option, especially with Barker leaving.

Their downfall is not having a good enough post presence who can defend and score. Still didn’t address that this season, they brought in the mid-major forward transfer but she isn’t gonna get it done.

I think with Latham, Spearman and Hollingshed we addressed a lot of our needs in the paint. Three athletic, mobile players. Of each can grab 5 boards and score 6-8 points that puts us way ahead of where we were with the center position last season.

We aren’t going to make up for Jackson with one player but 2-3 athletic bigs can definitely help this team get there.

Last edited:
Muhammed would be great. Not sure Tennessee was on her radar. I thought her HS teammate Smayah Smith was the one who was interested, but signed with LSU instead. IIRC, Amina committed to Texas pretty early. I wonder if TAMU is an option, especially with Barker leaving.

I feel like I remember Muhammed visiting. It’s a little fuzzy but was she not committed somewhere else, decommitted and then took a couple more visits before committing to Texas? That could have been Lattimore though. They are so similar to me.

In any case, we had a lot of those young forwards/posts visit and we had a very hard time closing the deal with them for whatever reason. Hollingshed was the only one we picked up and she was definitely a Lady Vol lean to start with but her recruiting was really impacted by COVID and not being able to visit anywhere in person aside from UGA.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
Not making me feel much better. Their offense was often awful and as a team they were only moderately successful.

IMO, bottom line, no system matters more than having superior players.
Ironically, the one game I saw end to end for them was the Tennessee game, and I thought their offense looked like a well oiled machine 🤣 🤣 🤣

Looking at their stats, they had some offensive clunkers but they are the best example of positionless basketball right now that came to mind. I could see that system working with a few upgraded pieces (for them, it was their 3 and 5 spots).

Their downfall is not having a good enough post presence who can defend and score when deceased. Still didn’t address that this season, they brought in the mid-major forward transfer but she isn’t gonna get it done.
Defending and scoring while deceased is going to be a mighty big ask for any player! Wonder how you word that system to potential transfers? First we kill you, then . . .

I feel like I remember Muhammed visiting. It’s a little fuzzy but was she not committed somewhere else, decommitted and then took a couple more visits before committing to Texas? That could have been Lattimore though. They are so similar to me.

In any case, we had a lot of those young forwards/posts visit and we had a very hard time closing the deal with them for whatever reason. Hollingshed was the only one we picked up and she was definitely a Lady Vol lean to start with but her recruiting was really impact by COVID and not being able to visit anywhere in person aside from UGA.
That was Lattimore. I know she was all over the place with her recruitment. I remember having to look up who Muhammed was once she signed, because Smith was regarded as "the star" from their team. Her recruitment didn't strike me as particularly high profile.
Their downfall is not having a good enough post presence who can defend and score when deceased. Still didn’t address that this season, they brought in the mid-major forward transfer but she isn’t gonna get it done.

I think with Latham, Spearman and Hollingshed we addressed a lot of our needs in the paint. Three athletic, mobile players. Of each can grab 5 boards and score 6-8 points that puts us way ahead of where we were with the center position last season.

We aren’t going to make up for Jackson with one player but 2-3 athletic bigs can definitely help this team get there.
Yeah, that's why SC kept dogging them. They're vulnerable to a dominant (and mobile) post player, but truthfully not many of them exist anymore. The Tennessee game was a blueprint for how to navigate bigger but much slower post players. Tennessee's post game will look much, much more athletic without Key and Striplin. Less offensively skilled but more explosive. I wonder how the ballhandling is for the two newcomers? That would be huge f they can take you off the dribble.

That was Lattimore. I know she was all over the place with her recruitment. I remember having to look up who Muhammed was once she signed, because Smith was regarded as "the star" from their team. Her recruitment didn't strike me as particularly high profile.

Yeah, that's why SC kept dogging them. They're vulnerable to a dominant (and mobile) post player, but truthfully not many of them exist anymore. The Tennessee game was a blueprint for how to navigate bigger but much slower post players. Tennessee's post game will look much, much more athletic without Key and Striplin. Less offensively skilled but more explosive. I wonder how the ballhandling is for the two newcomers? That would be huge f they can take you off the dribble.

Latham looks like she has a handle at least a bit, she can put it down and get to the rim in the paint. Spearman is definitely more of a catch and explode to the rim player.

Defending and scoring while deceased is going to be a mighty big ask for any player! Wonder how you word that system to potential transfers? First we kill you, then . . .

Edited my post. Not even sure how that ended up there. I use talk to text a lot when I can and it does some odd things now and then.

That’s also why I tend to edit my posts more than others. I’ll see little mistakes later and fix it.

Yeah, not the same lol. People trying to act like we’re going to look like Arkansas are just trying to find ways to drum up negativity and imagined “concern.”
Absolutely untrue, at least in my case. Nothing wrong with trying to learn about something new. Natural to look for comparisons to try to understand. I'm truly trying to dial in on how it works. It's different. Those who won't entertain questions might not be quite as sure as they like to seem.

Mohammad looks good, and also has 2 yrs of elig. We know she got some hard coaching up fm Vic. Avg almost 20 mins, but looks like mins may have fallen off a bit late in the year and the tourney. One thing that sticks out is below avg free throw shooting. Have to get better.

This player shares a name with the Deputy Sec General of the UN! First thing that comes up in a google search.

Absolutely untrue, at least in my case. Nothing wrong with trying to learn about something new. Natural to look for comparisons to try to understand. I'm truly trying to dial in on how it works. It's different. Those who won't entertain questions might not be quite as sure as they like to seem.

Mohammad looks good, and also has 2 yrs of elig. We know she got some hard coaching up fm Vic. Avg almost 20 mins, but looks like mins may have fallen off a bit late in the year and the tourney. One thing that sticks out is below avg free throw shooting. Have to get better.
She was outstanding in the game vs. UConn. She was aggressive on both ends of the court. I think her minutes went down due to various injuries between Gaston, Jones and I think Moore over the course of the season. Muhammed and Faye were playing a lot more earlier in the season, but then Vic seemed to settle on those first 3 as his core post rotation, with Faye getting the short end of the stick. He had a wealth of post options, but once he lost Harmon for the year, their guard play was the limiting factor.

Watching them not attempt to rebound so often was strange for sure. Rebounding worries me, but less since we got Spearman. Some say we actually don't need a post at all with this system. How does that work for rebounding, esp against teams with alot of size and esp when forced into the half court? I'm trying to learn so I can quit worrying.
I heard CKC say rebounding is key.

The goal of the system is to win the possession game. The goal is to do this by winning turnovers and offensive rebounds.

The common factor in most of Marshall's games was a possession win by Marshall by as much as 15 possessions.

She didn't quite have the personnel there that she would like, but they were still able to average 86.4 ppg on 43 percent shooting for the season.

A common box score could look something like this Marshall 82 possessions to 67 for the opponent. 82 possessions take 30 threes make 11 for 33 points. 52 two point shots make 20 for 40 points and usually 8 points at the line. So teams get 81 points on 38 percent shooting. That makes the team with just 67 possessions have to shoot at least 50 percent or better to win. Just shows how they could shoot poorly some games and still win. Averaging 86.4 ppg on 43 percent shooting for the season is really amazing stat. It means you are turning people over and rebounding. Marshall averaged 40 rebounds per game. Tennessee last season averaged 43 so not a big margin for a team that was a lot bigger than Marshall.

I guess you would have to say that if her system worked that well with the athletes she had there it should work just as well here with better athletes.

I’ll disagree here considering she won a whole Natty after Sytia went to UCF. Bob Starkey has been around a long time and I’m sure he’d check her if needed, in his own way. That man can coach some defense
My response had nothing to do with her coaching and more of the chemistry issues because that's what the original poster mentioned. Under Sytia, those issues were kept under wraps and the way Angel and several others conduct themselves under Kim, would've never happened if Sytia was still there. Yes Starkey is excellent at what he does and a solid move on her part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back