The Endzone Garden Thread

What's the third question, I forget. I don't even know the correct to above cause like Gordo, the answer is all of the above.

Here come the raspberries image.jpg
image-jpg.637183

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 75
I’m going to buy some nursery plants and plant them in my vegetable garden with the few of my seedlings that might survive being stuck in the ground. I can’t wait any longer.

Reactions: VolNExile
I’m down to five flower beds (though one is a sizable steep bank that would be problematic to mow if it were converted to lawn), a garden plot, and another steep embankment covered in ivy. I’m not fond of mowing grass, but it’s easier to maintain in my 2/3 acre property. I don’t care for the ivy bed, but I inherited it, and digging out ivy and replanting the steep embankment is more than I’m willing to do. Have started to relandscape the shallow end of it with native perrinneals, and this is a huge task. It’s an effort I’ve had to undertake since tree fall from the development behind me crushed two dogwoods and a cherry tree which use to provide shade to that part of the embankment. The ivy doesn’t care for the amount of direct sunlight it now receives, and something must be done to prevent erosion.

Reactions: VolNExile
Exie, got a question about my maters this year. All the seeds sprouted fine. Separated and put into bigger pots a couple of weeks ago. But they have not moved. They have cycled leaves, but they are all still just sprouts about 2 inches high. This has never happened to me before. Plenty of water and sunlight. Just confusing.

Any ideas to get them going? Would putting them in the ground now be a kick in the pants to get them going? OR would it be too much for them right now?

Exie, got a question about my maters this year. All the seeds sprouted fine. Separated and put into bigger pots a couple of weeks ago. But they have not moved. They have cycled leaves, but they are all still just sprouts about 2 inches high. This has never happened to me before. Plenty of water and sunlight. Just confusing.

Any ideas to get them going? Would putting them in the ground now be a kick in the pants to get them going? OR would it be too much for them right now?
What are they planted in? (seed starting mix, potting mix, garden soil, etc)

Does this potting medium ^ also have fertilizer, or have you added any? What kind?

Are they sitting outside (sounds like it) or on a heat mat?

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
What are they planted in? (seed starting mix, potting mix, garden soil, etc)

Does this potting medium ^ also have fertilizer, or have you added any? What kind?

Are they sitting outside (sounds like it) or on a heat mat?
^ I asked the last question because tomatoes really, really want warm soil, not just warm air. You can by a simple, cheap soil thermometer for about 10 bucks. Ideal soil temp, not air temp, is 65-70°F.

Tomatoes originated in Central America and equatorial South America, and those are the conditions that make them thrive.

If your plants are outdoors in pots (or in the ground), this might be your problem. Black pots help; if they’ve hardened off (gotten used to full sun), maybe try to position them so that the outside of the pots can absorb more heat?

I know that when I first started growing tomatoes in Asheville (in pots, in fact), I planted in the second week of May, and they just sat there and looked at me until June, and then they took off.

You can also try a gentle fertilizer, like what I call “trout juice” (fish emulsion.) Great fertilizer for seedlings, but it stinks to high heaven!

This year, my homemade compost wasn’t ready for the garden, so I tilled the soil ~6” deep three times and swapped it around from one side to the other. Then I mixed in a little 10-10-10 with the pelletized lime and planted my tomatoes and peppers in the same general areas as last year. Both grew so much better last year with the peppers on the east side of the plot that I wanted to do so again. 🤞

Last edited:
We have other tomatoes in the same size pots that are thriving. One of them I put in the ground this morning.
I’m stumped, then. Only thing I have left is if somehow the growing tips on the runts were broken off. I had one plant that never made it past the cotyledon (seed leaf) stage. The growing tip had been broken. The two leaves were the size of silver dollars, but the plant never grew beyond that.

I’m stumped, then. Only thing I have left is if somehow the growing tips on the runts were broken off. I had one plant that never made it past the cotyledon (seed leaf) stage. The growing tip had been broken. The two leaves were the size of silver dollars, but the plant never grew beyond that.
Stumped as well.

VN Store

Back