2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Well the fact that Shack and Gainey both averaged under 5 points a game I don't think anything is set and stone with those guys. Clearly we need better scorers

You as a fan are welcome to think anything you want, but Rick Barnes will start his older experienced guys that already know what he expects and how to run his system.

I'd project ZZ & Mashack (at the 2, but could also be at the 3) as the two most likely to start. It's just been the trend with Barnes, stay and earn your spot. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: jp1
JP played 124 minutes total in 25 appearances and finished with 20 total rebounds, 3 blocks, and 40 points.

Gainey and Mashack, the 2 you're benching to start Lanier both played over 640 minutes on the season while each eclipsing 160 total points, 40 total assists and 30 steals or more.

ZZ, Gainey, Mashack are the most seasoned and experienced players returning... and Dubar, Tyson, and even Igor are all candidates to play the 3/4 more than any other spot...Lanier will have to beat out Mashack AND Gainey to start at the 2...and that's not even mentioning Carr or Bishop.
A) Lanier doesn’t have to beat out both Gainey and Mashack. He has to beat out one of them. He and another can play the other wing spot. Granted, he could get beat out there too, but vying for more than one position increases the odds. Okpara has to win the 5 position to start. He’s not going to start at any other position.
B) Okpara is the least credentialed of the projected transfers. So it’s not just about who he has to beat out, but how good the transfer is himself. Igor and Lanier would both come in with far better credentials. So does Dubar, actually.
C) The staff is high on JP. Barnes even commented after the Purdue loss about using him next year like Purdue uses Edey. This comment was made with Awaka and Aidoo still on the roster. Don’t sleep on JP.
D) Igor is walking into a perfect situation to start at the 4. His chief competitor would be another transfer (Dubar).

If we get Lanier, Igor, and Okpara, to go with Dubar, my lineup guess is:

ZZ
Lanier
Mashack
Igor
JP

Gainey, Okpara, Dubar, Carr in the rotation off the bench.

If we get that group, plus Tyson, who knows. Hard to imagine a 10-man rotation, but I don’t know who you leave out.

Reactions: Smokey 77
You as a fan are welcome to think anything you want, but Rick Barnes will start his older experienced guys that already know what he expects and how to run his system.

I'd project ZZ & Mashack (at the 2, but could also be at the 3) as the two most likely to start. It's just been the trend with Barnes, stay and earn your spot. 🤷‍♂️
Same can be said about you lol. THINK what you want lol. I just find it hard to believe that a 5 point average player will get the most minutes. Not happening. Barnes has stated that they want more consistent offense for next season. Lanier can score 20 plus a game when he's on it. Shack can't do that in his sleep

A) Lanier doesn’t have to beat out both Gainey and Mashack. He has to beat out one of them. He and another can play the other wing spot. Granted, he could get beat out there too, but vying for more than one position increases the odds. Okpara has to win the 5 position to start. He’s not going to start at any other position.
B) Okpara is the least credentialed of the projected transfers. So it’s not just about who he has to beat out, but how good the transfer is himself. Igor and Lanier would both come in with far better credentials.
C) The staff is high on JP. Barnes even commented after the Purdue loss about using him next year like Purdue uses Edey. This comment was made with Awaka and Aidoo still on the roster. Don’t sleep on JP.
D) Igor is walking into a perfect situation to start at the 4. His chief competitor would be another transfer (Dubar).

If we get Lanier, Igor, and Okpara, to go with Dubar, my lineup guess is:

ZZ
Lanier
Mashack
Igor
JP

Gainey, Okpara, Dubar, Carr in the rotation off the bench.

If we get that group, plus Tyson, who knows. Hard to imagine a 10-man rotation, but I don’t know who you leave out.

Okpara is the only transfer that won't be in a direct competition with any other transfer though.

Igor is a 3-5, but if he's playing 5 it'll be because Felix and JP are both in foul trouble (will be rare)
Dubar is a 3/4
Tyson is a 2/3
Lanier a 2
Tucker a 3/4

So Felix's credentials against the other transfers isn't a talking point in the discussion of who starts to me. Even if it was he's the only incoming guy that's played in a P6 league before. I may be in the minority a bit, but I could even seen JP getting minutes at the 4.

You're welcome to disagree though, and I'm not going to waste a day with back and forth over it.

My ranking of who is mostly likely to start IF we get all the rumored transfers would be:

1. Felix
2. Dubar/Igor
4. Lanier/Tyson (Lanier I think is more athletic and can play 1-3, Tyson has great size and if he's more athletic than expected who knows)
6. Tucker

I HOPE this is a problem/debate the staff is lucky enough to have though. Landing all of these guys would be nice and it'd have me feeling less like next year is a rebuild.

Same can be said about you lol. THINK what you want lol. I just find it hard to believe that a 5 point average player will get the most minutes. Not happening. Barnes has stated that they want more consistent offense for next season. Lanier can score 20 plus a game when he's on it. Shack can't do that in his sleep

That I'm a fan? Absolutely and I am thinking what I want...I just have a logical reason behind these assumptions and present it when I state them.

Never said Felix would get the most minutes, just that he had the best shot to be the transfer starter.

As for "not happening"

2022-23
Uros got 20 starts scoring 4.9 ppg
Aidoo got 9 starts scoring 5.1 ppg

2021-22
Uros got 21 starts scoring 4.2 ppg
BHH got 13 starts scoring 3.9 ppg

2020-21 (weird year cause Covid)
Fulky played the 5 and Pons the 4, very small team that year

Even Kyle Alexander had a total of 68 starts and was averaging 3.5 ppg during those first 3 years he got them. So you're just wrong with the "Not happening" because historically Barnes has repeatedly started non offensive bigs at the 5.

Lanier has scored 20 or more in 15 games, and he averaged 15.5 attempts a game to do it.

DK averaged 16 attempts a game this year, and he's the first & only Vol in the Rick Barnes era to shoot that many.

Chaz Lanier isn't Dalton Knecht, not saying he can't be a big time scorer here...but assuming his success in 15 games at the Atlantic Sun Conference level after 4 years of playing there is just going to translate to the SEC in his first year is wild.

Felix's game will translate day 1 he rebounds and he blocks shots at 6'11" and 225lbs+ and he did that in the Big 10 which arguably has the best bigs in any conference.

With the players opting to return to North Carolina, does this help our chances of pulling Cade Tyson away from them? Seems like there will be fewer minutes than he expected. I could be completely off base though. Maybe it was common knowledge those guys were going to return.

With the players opting to return to North Carolina, does this help our chances of pulling Cade Tyson away from them? Seems like there will be fewer minutes than he expected. I could be completely off base though. Maybe it was common knowledge those guys were going to return.

I just want to know what North Carolina's NIL budget is.

Reactions: Tennessteve
That I'm a fan? Absolutely and I am thinking what I want...I just have a logical reason behind these assumptions and present it when I state them.

Never said Felix would get the most minutes, just that he had the best shot to be the transfer starter.

As for "not happening"

2022-23
Uros got 20 starts scoring 4.9 ppg
Aidoo got 9 starts scoring 5.1 ppg

2021-22
Uros got 21 starts scoring 4.2 ppg
BHH got 13 starts scoring 3.9 ppg

2020-21 (weird year cause Covid)
Fulky played the 5 and Pons the 4, very small team that year

Even Kyle Alexander had a total of 68 starts and was averaging 3.5 ppg during those first 3 years he got them. So you're just wrong with the "Not happening" because historically Barnes has repeatedly started non offensive bigs at the 5.

Lanier has scored 20 or more in 15 games, and he averaged 15.5 attempts a game to do it.

DK averaged 16 attempts a game this year, and he's the first & only Vol in the Rick Barnes era to shoot that many.

Chaz Lanier isn't Dalton Knecht, not saying he can't be a big time scorer here...but assuming his success in 15 games at the Atlantic Sun Conference level after 4 years of playing there is just going to translate to the SEC in his first year is wild.

Felix's game will translate day 1 he rebounds and he blocks shots at 6'11" and 225lbs+ and he did that in the Big 10 which arguably has the best bigs in any conference.
Well I'm talking about Shack being a starter not Felix. Never said anything about Felix. He's solid player and physical we need that. I'm just not sold on Shack being the starter. His offense needs ALOT of work. He's a pretty slow shooter as well especially from the perimeter. Lanier, Carr and Gainey are better on the offensive side. But I'm with you on one thing. It's a good thing to be arguing about lol. Barnes knows how rebuild a roster in an off-season I'll give him that.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Well I'm talking about Shack being a starter not Felix. Never said anything about Felix. He's solid player and physical we need that. I'm just not sold on Shack being the starter. His offense needs ALOT of work. He's a pretty slow shooter as well especially from the perimeter. Lanier, Carr and Gainey are better on the offensive side. But I'm with you on one thing. It's a good thing to be arguing about lol. Barnes knows how rebuild a roster in an off-season I'll give him that.

I for one will be absolutely shocked if Mashack is not a starter.

Often true, but because of that he bats a much higher % than just about anyone, which is why I still like to see what he says.
Predicting the past is definitely a higher odds game than predicting the future. He’s fine. I think what you and I notice is that they used to be a few days ahead of the friend network, but now they’re embargoed until it’s done. Apparently if they push that, they lose access. Smart move by AD, but frustrating for fans.

That's my mistake, I was also discussing Felix with someone else LOL

I don't know...I think Lanier, Gainey, and Shack will be in a fierce competition to start at the 2. I'd give Shack the edge, being he's had 21 starts and 2 seasons playing 36 games and 18 mpg with Barnes (so has his trust). But if Lanier is that dude, he could take the spot.

My only caution with Shack is that his % are great, 43.2% FG, 33.8% 3PT so he is more than capable BUT he's never had a season taking 5 or more shots a game... you can fix a poor shooter, but if this season taught me anything it's that you can't just teach offensive aggression (JJJ & Santi)

I for one will be absolutely shocked if Mashack is not a starter.
Maybe, gotta have some bucket getters on the court at the end of the day. After losing Dalton we can't afford 25 plus minutes a game for a 5 to 10 point player. I just don't like his offensive capabilities and think there are about be several players that will surpass him offensively. We will see what happens. Currently, nobody on here actually knows what the roster is gonna look like so it's all opinion

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Maybe, gotta have some bucket getters on the court at the end of the day. After losing Dalton we can't afford 25 plus minutes a game for a 5 to 10 point player. I just don't like his offensive capabilities and think there are about be several players that will surpass him offensively. We will see what happens. Currently, nobody on here actually knows what the roster is gonna look like so it's all opinion

Yeah, losing Aidoo has also complicated that... since him, ZZ, and DK were the 3 major contributors offensively. Seems like it's an area the staff is trying to fix in the portal. Dubar, Tyson, Igor, Lanier and even Tucker are all guys that were offensive contributors at their previous schools.

Reactions: SoullessGinger32_
I have a hunch that Dubar may play more minutes than people think because he is a more than capable scorer and will probably be the best defender of all of the new wings that may come in. He seems to want to become even better as a defender kind of like Knect coming to be coached up by Barnes. Seems to me to be the closest thing to Dalton we may see this year even though physically I think he's more of a replacement for JJ and that may dictate a little less outside game.

You may end up being correct, but that's a pretty shallow defense of your stance.

What would Felix Okpara's numbers look like if he played for North Florida, Charlotte, or Hofstra instead of playing for Ohio State in the Big10 against Zach Edey, Kel'el Ware, Clifford Omoruyi, etc.?

Additionally, most tend to look at offensive stats to say a player is good/bad, but Okpara was 2nd in the Big10 in blocks/gm, 6th in defensive box +/-, 8th in defensive rating and top-10 in both offensive and defensive rebounding %.

It isn't all about scoring, especially at his position in today's game, where that is probably more true than any other. Okpara is an eraser and a rebounding machine. We are bringing in plenty of capable scorers. He doesn't have to be a 15 ppg guy to make a significant impact.

Edit: I see now that you were talking about Mashack. I, too, thought you were talking about Okpara. My mistake. All the above still stands, just not in relation to your comment as it turns out.

Yeah, losing Aidoo has also complicated that... since him, ZZ, and DK were the 3 major contributors offensively. Seems like it's an area the staff is trying to fix in the portal. Dubar, Tyson, Igor, Lanier and even Tucker are all guys that were offensive contributors at their previous schools.
Yeah and if Shacks offense stays the same I just can't see him getting 20 plus minutes a game. Literally an entirely new team this year really besides ZZ as a starter. Behind that is unknown right now

This is what they have currently…

PG: Cadeua
SG: Davis/Trimble
SF: Jackson/Powell
PF: Withers
C: Washington/High/Brown

They’ve talked about Thiero coming in as a starting 4, if that happens then it would appear to be like a serious logjam for minutes 1-3 unless they’re going to bench one of their 2 Top 15 five stars.

You may end up being correct, but that's a pretty shallow defense of your stance.

What would Felix Okpara's numbers look like if he played for North Florida, Charlotte, or Hofstra instead of playing for Ohio State in the Big10 against Zach Edey, Kel'el Ware, Clifford Omoruyi, etc.?

Additionally, most tend to look at offensive stats to say a player is good/bad, but Okpara was 2nd in the Big10 in blocks/gm, 6th in defensive box +/-, 8th in defensive rating and top-10 in both offensive and defensive rebounding %.

It isn't all about scoring, especially at his position in today's game, where that is probably more true than any other. Okpara is an eraser and a rebounding machine. We are bringing in plenty of capable scorers. He doesn't have to be a 15 ppg guy to make a significant impact.

Edit: I see now that you were talking about Mashack. I, too, thought you were talking about Okpara. My mistake. All the above still stands, just not in relation to your comment as it turns out.
I'm talking about Shack not Felix.

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back