2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Would you want pay Aidoo the same as Knecht for a year? Because I certainly don’t…we have money we’re just not going to spend it frivolously, that is difference..
And teams with more money are willing to spend less frivolously. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp. Where we choose to spend it is always up for debate, but the more money you have, the better. It creates more options.

So saying we need more money, like I did, is not incorrect?
That’s not what he is saying, the market has shifted and teams are throwing out big offers for players that we don’t value as much as they do…if teams want to throw offers for Aidoo to what Knecht was making more power to them, but that’s not smart money in my mind so yeah we were blindsided with other collectives offering more than their value.

However it’s a two way street and it opens up more resources for us to use on a replacement

That’s not what he is saying, the market has shifted and teams are throwing out big offers for players that we don’t value as much as they do…if teams want to throw offers for Aidoo to what Knecht was making more power to them, but that’s not smart money in my mind so yeah we were blindsided with other collectives offering more than their value.

However it’s a two way street and it opens up more resources for us to use on a replacement
Forget Aidoo. There are players we are currently pursuing in the portal that we fear may choose elsewhere for more money. I'm assuming we're pursuing them for a reason and being frugal could potentially cost us their services.

And teams with more money are willing to spend less frivolously. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp. Where we choose to spend it is always up for debate, but the more money you have, the better. It creates more options.
So your assumption is their collectives have more money because they are offering Aidoo more?

This is no different than free agency in basketball. If a team values a player they do whatever to sign him over another team.. we don’t value Aidoo like they do and we will use our resources on other free agents if that makes sense…

Reactions: LaagerVol
The total fund is healthy. I’m not sure if that’s what you mean by “more money”. The fund is flush. How we see individual player comp is going to change due to the market.
Demand creates market value. We need to be able to adjust quickly to rising market value.

Reactions: BisonVol
No offense to Awaka, but I don’t think he has earned the right to “see how our roster takes shape.” That implies he doesn’t think we are going to be very good next year so he wants to leave the door open to flee if we miss on all our targets.

Jump in the boat or don’t. He should realize that he has an important role to play in that roster taking shape, too.
I am reading that as the opposite. He doesn't want to come back if transfer portal additions look like a threat to his playing time.

Things not working out in putting together a quality roster that will once again compete as a top team
I definitely wasn’t trying to imply we’re in crisis. We just need some things to break our way with the players deciding in the next few days. My statement about Lanier may be paranoia driven.

Forget Aidoo. There are players we are currently pursuing in the portal that we fear may choose elsewhere for more money. I'm assuming we're pursuing them for a reason and being frugal could potentially cost us their services.
We have a competitive offer for Tyson, but it comes down to playing time for him and fit…that is what has been said so far

Reactions: LaagerVol
I understand there are a lot of different variables at play. But at some point, you need to create your own luck. Can't just always be this "Well things didn't fall our way because X & Y."
But that happens more often than not because of the number of players involved and the number of schools going after these players. We "created our own luck" with DK and Dubar. Losing players is going to happen.

I definitely wasn’t trying to imply we’re in crisis. We just need some things to break our way with the players deciding in the next few days. My statement about Lanier may be paranoia driven.
I’m with you on those guys, but I think there’s also a bunch more guys who we’ve Tier 2’d that we could likely circle back around to. Clearly the staff identified and targeted Dubar, Tyson & Igor very early on and made their move, they’re waiting to get answers from those guys before doing too much more, and those answers should be coming sooner rather than later.

What player in particular are we not getting due to uncompetitive nil offer?
None yet, but the possibility has been discussed about both Tyson and the kid visiting Baylor. Baylor having lots to spend this cycle was mentioned several times. Even in regard to Aidoo being connected to Baylor. And UNC is UNC. Them having a much deeper war chest for basketball just makes sense.

None yet, but the possibility has been discussed about both Tyson and the kid visiting Baylor. Baylor having lots to spend this cycle was mentioned several times. Even in regard to Aidoo being connected to Baylor. And UNC is UNC. Them having a much deeper war chest for basketball just makes sense.
I can’t speak on Baylor because I honestly don’t know their roster, but UNC is in a dilemma at the moment. Hubert can sell playing time but if Harrison Ingram returns he no longer has that angle to play with Tyson…

Guys, if Igor is getting paid it is not legal. International students CANNOT get NIL. His commitment will not come down to money. It will be down to fit and where he’s most comfortable. Tyson on the other hand will have a pull to UNC being a North Carolina kid, and he may also get some NIL. Just hope for our sake that UNC will be full in his position.

Rumors UK about to get both Great Osobor, and Amari Williams from the portal.

Wish we could have a post like that lol

VN Store

Back