Recruiting Football Talk VII

I posted that NIL should be limited/capped on what each player can make….this is why. But I guess if we cap NIL, then we just go back to the old days where people are paying under the table…even though that’s still a thing.

Sports just suck, lol

Per @trillydonovan’s Discord: Jerry Jones (Arkansas booster) is willing to pay freshmen twice as much as they would get at Kentucky.
Does Jerry Jones think the lack of 5*s is what hurt Cal at UK?? 🤣🤣🤣

"yeah...we just need MORE 1 AND DONES!!"

I agree with that totally. My disagreement is about the "average." There was a much larger disparity in education level then, and the average was much lower. As was the median.

Some of the greatest minds in history have come from that era. I think there's something to be said for our current system actually stifling the development of great minds because we try to keep every kid on the same level by age instead of ability. So many highly advanced kids sit around bored because they have to sit through lessons that are easy for them and they already know just so an educator can spend more time with a student that takes longer or just flat out doesnt care. Also, for a long time we've treated ADHD kids as though they aren't as capable, when in reality once you get to Masters and PhD level I'd argue (at least in STEM) most of them have some form of ADHD or Autism because of their ability to hyperfixate on a topic that stimulates their interest. The reason they're a problem/distraction in an structured school system is a lack of intellectual stimulation.

Plus people with those attributes are a better fit for academia than industry because of their personality and social awkwardness. Not that they're any smarter than someone with a HS, BA/BS, or anything but that the structure of scientific method and experimentation is a great fit for their mental quirks and wiring.
We definitely structure our entire system around bringing everyone to the middle. Heck our "higher education" system has huge numbers of people who wouldn't even make it into high school 100 years ago. And that system prevents the Blaise Pascals and Einsteins of the world from realizing their full potential.

Our average student is certainly a lot better than 100 years ago, but our top students can't compete with top students in other countries or top students from 100 years ago.

Baseball didn't "decline". Football and basketball ASCENDED. Baseball network deals keep expanding upwards. Generational fan interest keeps it viable. NHL labor dispute revealed about a decade ago that their hand wasn't as stacked. Yet, their cult devoted fandom keeps them relatively stable and happy. Baseball is third in market share but players like Ohtani will be billionaires by the time they retire.
The “business” of baseball hasn’t declined (they still have big revenue, good sponsorship, etc) but viewership, both in person and on tv have declined. Youth participation has declined, although I’m sure youth participation in all/most sports has declined

Reactions: TnGray and SoilVol
You realize I.Q. tests are normed to the population taking the test at the time and to some extent they are valid over a period of years. Comparing I.Q. scores from a hundred years ago to today's is probably more art than science, and not really reliable. A 36 on the ACT is not the same as a 36 30 years ago.
Facts on the ground are that the math skill requirements to graduate the eighth grade of a 100 years ago wouldn't be met by most of the high school graduates today.
70% of the country could read basic words 100 years ago and you think they'd be considered geniuses 😆😅

High standards! And I get we lag a fair number of other 1st world countries, but basic metrics of education and intelligence have risen so much in the last 100 years that definitions have become more strict over time, not less. Even literacy no longer means you can merely read, but something greater functionally.

We definitely structure our entire system around bringing everyone to the middle. Heck our "higher education" system has huge numbers of people who wouldn't even make it into high school 100 years ago. And that system prevents the Blaise Pascals and Einsteins of the world from realizing their full potential.

Our average student is certainly a lot better than 100 years ago, but our top students can't compete with top students in other countries or top students from 100 years ago.
So, maybe, baseball was more popular then because everyone was dumber🤷🏼‍♂️

Fast forward 100 years people will be saying "see, we can't even put out top minds like Gates...Jobs...Musk...Degrasse Tyson...Hawking...Carlsen...Chomsky...!"

1) statistically many of the "great minds" in the next 100 years should be coming out of Asia and Africa.

2) actually none of this matters because AI will surpass the entire human collective many times over well before 2120

Reactions: SoilVol and jave36
Fast forward 100 years people will be saying "see, we can't even put out top minds like Gates...Jobs...Musk...Degrasse Tyson...Hawking...Carlsen...Chomsky...!"

1) statistically many of the "great minds" in the next 100 years should be coming out of Asia and Africa.

2) actually none of this matters because AI will surpass the entire human collective many times over well before 2120
I'm honestly looking forward to AI surpassing us

Agreed. And I don't recall anyone saying it was easy to play. I think goober made that up. He reduced "not as complex as he was making it out to be," to simply "not complex," then construed "not complex" to mean "easy to understand," and finally, by sleight of hand, that turned into "easy to play." I wouldn't guarantee that, because my eyes were glazing over and a skipped a lot of it, having assessed its quality pretty quickly.
Oh easy to understand ,I stand corrected. BTW I'm the damn quote "Goober" you're referring about.

VN Store

Back