Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

They (Lady Vols Hoops) should have turned off or limited the comments on their posts. My mom just texted me to tell me everyone hates the new coach šŸ˜­

Agree - I don't think it is that everyone necessarily hates the new coach, but many are baffled with the hire and expected something very different.

Thanks Iā€™m trying to wrap my head around exactly that. Simply no one wanted it. Thatā€™s a stunner for longtime fans. Also makes it surprising DW didnā€™t just stick w Harper plus NIL funding for another year.

And yes, the desperate cheerleading this hire is painful but what else are you going to do. My PR angle might be everybody loves an underdog and you canā€™t be much more of an underdog than this coach and this roster right now.
This coach had nothing to do with this roster. We got a young fresh, up and coming
Coach!!! Bunch to be pleased about!!
The fan base should be pleased, only time will tell. This is not "desperate cheerleading" it's called " give the woman a chance".

Reactions: Exiled and jp1
We really just Kiffinā€™d her from Marshall . šŸ˜†

She was there one year , had success, and left for a job with more prestige and money .

Reactions: PRG
They (Lady Vols Hoops) should have turned off or limited the comments on their posts. My mom just texted me to tell me everyone hates the new coach šŸ˜­

Thatā€™s the Kellie Klowns. Itā€™s sad.

The only people Iā€™ve seen not support the new hire are the cohort of people in Knoxville who know theirs days of special treatment are over.

Leaving the Lady Vol family with the hire means the new coach does not have to cater to them, listen to their 30 year old stories or force the players to be nice to a group of odd people.

The basketball world at large seems to think we made a really good hire. Itā€™s definitely a gamble but it tells you the state of the program. The Lady Vol brand was dead, people worrying about us being ODU or LaTech. NEWS FLASH we were already there like 8 years ago.

Hiring a young up and comer who can really win gives us our best chance of getting back in the conversation for real. We werenā€™t even a top 25 team this season and we have the #3 wnba pick on our roster. Sad.

All the content that has been shared of Kim so far has me salivating. Her body language and the way she speaks just give off ā€œIā€™m seriousā€ vibes and thatā€™s what we need. You see that with the other top coaches, she doesnā€™t seem like someone who is going to mince words or make concessions.

Her top scorer left the program in early part of the season and they went on to have the most historic season in Marshall history. THAT IS COACHING. Our top scorer went out for 8 games, we went 4-4 and it derailed our entire season and was used as an excuse.

If Kim has the donor support, AD support and staff support she needs I think we will be very pleasantly surprised. This is a big job, but she just seems like sheā€™s got ā€œit.ā€

The only people Iā€™ve seen not support the new hire are the cohort of people in Knoxville who know theirs days of special treatment are over.

Leaving the Lady Vol family with the hire means the new coach does not have to cater to them, listen to their 30 year old stories or force the players to be nice to a group of odd people.

The basketball world at large seems to think we made a really good hire. Itā€™s definitely a gamble but it tells you the state of the program. The Lady Vol brand was dead, people worrying about us being ODU or LaTech. NEWS FLASH we were already there like 8 years ago.

Hiring a young up and comer who can really win gives us our best chance of getting back in the conversation for real. We werenā€™t even a top 25 team this season and we have the #3 wnba pick on our roster. Sad.

All the content that has been shared of Kim so far has me salivating. Her body language and the way she speaks just give off ā€œIā€™m seriousā€ vibes and thatā€™s what we need. You see that with the other top coaches, she doesnā€™t seem like someone who is going to mince words or make concessions.

Her top scorer left the program in early part of the season and they went on to have the most historic season in Marshall history. THAT IS COACHING. Our top scorer went out for 8 games, we went 4-4 and it derailed our entire season and was used as an excuse.

If Kim has the donor support, AD support and staff support she needs I think we will be very pleasantly surprised. This is a bad job, but she just seems like sheā€™s got ā€œit.ā€
I really hope I can get there, and truthfully it doesnā€™t matter if I do or donā€™t cause the deal is done šŸ˜‚. I am full of qualms, but Iā€™ve also said before Iā€™m risk averse!

This coach has everything to do w this roster. Itā€™s her team. And she must improve on it immediately. Which is why a coach who could bring SEC level talent and was a proven recruiter was so vital.

As far as giving chances, message board posters have no role in that. Season ticket holders and donors do. Of course I wish the LVs the best. But with the level the SEC is at, this is a monumental hill to climb

Thanks Iā€™m trying to wrap my head around exactly that. Simply no one wanted it. Thatā€™s a stunner for longtime fans. Also makes it surprising DW didnā€™t just stick w Harper plus NIL funding for another year.

And yes, the desperate cheerleading this hire is painful but what else are you going to do. My PR angle might be everybody loves an underdog and you canā€™t be much more of an underdog than this coach and this roster right now.
In hindsight, it may not be that surprising. One might think that if two LV legends got roasted by the fan base for only making it to the elite 8 or s16 , maybe I donā€™t need the stress when I am loved for doing as much or sometimes less st my school. And itā€™s not clear that the LV job would more attractive than Big ten champs Indiana. The people who predicted Gottlieb would high tail it to K-town were completely clueless. But it is the gig of a lifetime for an up and comer coming from pretty far down the hierarchy.

I really hope I can get there, and truthfully it doesnā€™t matter if I do or donā€™t cause the deal is done šŸ˜‚. I am full of qualms, but Iā€™ve also said before Iā€™m risk averse!

Iā€™m also risk averse, but after sleeping on things Iā€™m happy with this. Iā€™m ready for the season, ready to see a team play with some fire.

So we now know that at least 2 other coaches with more experience said no and there may be others. KC was not the first choice. I realize the university is not going to say that and will continue the publicity to try to make this look like the greatest hire ever, but it wasn't. Though it would probably be more acceptable to folks and allow them to move on and rally behind her if they realized she was the best that said yes and that with the coaching search there was at least an attempt to secure a coach with more experience / success at the D1 level.

Just admit those others said no and let the chip be on this coach and the future Lady Vols to make them wish they had said yes.

It would be interesting to find out who said no ! I wonder? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Weā€™re not gonna know what the deal was there but itā€™s obvious White and the Harpers were done working together.

We were not a top 25 team almost all season. Thatā€™s been part of his AD criteria I believe.

I do really think conversations were had after the OSU and MTSU losses. We saw improvement but not enough to save their job. Kellie and Jon seem like great people, but the idea that they were taking us back to the top is silly. Year 5 and we looked worse than any of the previous 4 seasons.

Iā€™m also risk averse, but after sleeping on things Iā€™m happy with this. Iā€™m ready for the season, ready to see a team play with some fire.
I also donā€™t love her style of play, which I think is hurting my ability to get on board. Again, I will just continue to hope she kills it in the portal, brings on some talented assistants, and budget appropriately for the ridiculous TBA beer prices.

Also very rare in WBB for head coaches to leave.

Kim Mulkey is the only coach I can even recall who left a championship program at the height of her career. Just donā€™t see it in the womenā€™s game.

One thing that has evolved is the hiring of mid-major and up and coming coaches. In the past it was often a top assistant from a program who was hired. Big coaches would say ā€œno thanks, but youā€™ve gotta talk to my assistant.ā€

I think hiring an assistant with no HC experience is way scarier than hiring someone with a 90% win/loss record but most of it was in DII. At least we know she can be a head coach.

Anyone remember MSST? It hasnā€™t been that long. NMP was NOT a good hire for them. Everyone was freaking out like they were going to be the next South Carolina and Tennessee fans were pissed we had not tried to hire her ourselves. It was a complete dumpster fireā€¦

In hindsight, it may not be that surprising. One might think that if two LV legends got roasted by the fan base for only making it to the elite 8 or s16 , maybe I donā€™t need the stress when I am loved for doing as much or sometimes less st my school. And itā€™s not clear that the LV job would more attractive than Big ten champs Indiana. The people who predicted Gottlieb would high tail it to K-town were completely clueless. But it is the gig of a lifetime for an up and comer coming from pretty far down the hierarchy.
Maybe not that surprising but how in the world did we get this far behind freakIng Kentucky?

If Kim has the donor support, AD support and staff support she needs I think we will be very pleasantly surprised. This is a bad job, but she just seems like sheā€™s got ā€œit.ā€

It is not just the Kellie supporters but fans in general - that is why the publicity push is over the top right now to make this seem like the best hire and the only one that should have been considered. It isn't and it should not have been. And based on reports that are now surfacing, there was consideration given to successful and seasoned D1 coaches that said no.

I have never gotten special treatment and I am baffled as well, so to toss this off as if it is some special society of fans is just avoiding the conversation that needs to play out for folks to accept this and move on. Many fans are in the WTH mode right now.

You said the basketball world at large seems to think this was a good hire. Where have you seen that because I haven't? Have you seen any former Lady Vols comment on this yet?

The first thing though she needs to do is learn how to recruit at the D1 level. She has yet to sign / recruit any player for a D1 school. She signed no one at Marshall. Even she admits she doesn't know how to recruit at this level. That is a big learning curve for her.

Also very rare in WBB for head coaches to leave.

Kim Mulkey is the only coach I can even recall who left a championship program at the height of her career. Just donā€™t see it in the womenā€™s game.

One thing that has evolved is the hiring of mid-major and up and coming coaches. In the past it was often a top assistant from a program who was hired. Big coaches would say ā€œno thanks, but youā€™ve gotta talk to my assistant.ā€

I think hiring an assistant with no HC experience is way scarier than hiring someone with a 90% win/loss record but most of it was in DII. At least we know she can be a head coach.

Anyone remember MSST? It hasnā€™t been that long. NMP was NOT a good hire for them. Everyone was freaking out like they were going to be the next South Carolina and Tennessee fans were pissed we had not tried to hire her ourselves. It was a complete dumpster fireā€¦
Thatā€™s interesting, and I largely agree. I would feel more comfortable with an assistant with extensive D1 experience though. Her comments around recruiting make me very nervous, and an assistant would understand what recruiting at a P5 looks like and needs. A lot of my judgment of this hire hinges on who the assistants are.

I also donā€™t love her style of play, which I think is hurting my ability to get on board. Again, I will just continue to hope she kills it in the portal, brings on some talented assistants, and budget appropriately for the ridiculous TBA beer prices.

Interesting! I do really enjoy that style of play, I like a team that forces turnovers and gets up and down. Maybe not so keen on the frequent line change subs, but if youā€™re going to play with the energy she requires itā€™s best to do it in 2-3 minutes increments.

Mentally that is a good setup for young players too. You just need them to go in and go hard for 2-3 minutes at a time. They arenā€™t out there long enough to make compounding mistakes and knock their confidence. Plus, this gets a lot of players on the floor which is a very, very good thing in the days of the transfer portal.

To those really quality players transferring who probably know they are coming off the bench somewhere Tennessee should suddenly look very attractive. Because the way she coaches about 10 players are going to get 18 plus minutes a game.

It is not just the Kellie supporters but fans in general - that is why the publicity push is over the top right now to make this seem like the best hire and the only one that should have been considered. It isn't and it should not have been. And based on reports that are now surfacing, there was consideration given to successful and seasoned D1 coaches that said no.

I have never gotten special treatment and I am baffled as well, so to toss this off as if it is some special society of fans is just avoiding the conversation that needs to play out for folks to accept this and move on. Many fans are in the WTH mode right now.

You said the basketball world at large seems to think this was a good hire. Where have you seen that because I haven't? Have you seen any former Lady Vols comment on this yet?

The first thing though she needs to do is learn how to recruit at the D1 level. She has yet to sign / recruit any player for a D1 school. She signed no one at Marshall. Even she admits she doesn't know how to recruit at this level. That is a big learning curve for her.
The womenā€™s college basketball subreddit is largely positive on this, but they are also mostly new fans and college students.

Reactions: travis929
Weā€™re not gonna know what the deal was there but itā€™s obvious White and the Harpers were done working together.

We were not a top 25 team almost all season. Thatā€™s been part of his AD criteria I believe.

I do really think conversations were had after the OSU and MTSU losses. We saw improvement but not enough to save their job. Kellie and Jon seem like great people, but the idea that they were taking us back to the top is silly. Year 5 and we looked worse than any of the previous 4 seasons.
Eh, not sure about that if you take out the 4-4 slump during Rickeaā€™s injury. they had so many close losses this season where a play or a shot could have turned an L to a W. In the end close but no cigar is a reason for making a change but they were playing well down the stretch. Getting knocked out in another close game by a pending FF team is not exactly a disaster

Last edited:
It would be interesting to find out who said no ! I wonder? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Sounds like Gottlieb and Moren from Indiana for sure said no. No other credible reports I can see.

I saw those two - there was also an article about Lawson staying put. She may or may not have been contacted but the article and commentary came out during the search.

Reactions: madtownvol
We really just Kiffinā€™d her from Marshall . šŸ˜†

She was there one year , had success, and left for a job with more prestige and money .

Not sure this is a good thing. :confused: Kiffin did not fare well at his dream job and had to move back to the mid-majors and a stint under Saban to work his way back into a D1 job.

Eh, not sure about that if you take out the 4-4 slump during Rickeaā€™s injury. So, they had do
Many close losses this season where a play or a shot could have turned an L to a W. In the end close but no cigar is a reason for making a change but they were playing well down the stretch. Getting knocked in amother close game by a pending FF team is not exactly a disaster

I always go back to the season Notre Damn had like 4 key players with ACLs and won a title with 6 healthy players. If you can coach, you can coach.

I think it was Turner and Achonwa, who else was out? They were not nobodies.

I donā€™t respond to your posts because you seem to be a teenager? No?

Iā€™m always careful about arguing with children on the internet.
This happens to me on the womenā€™s basketball subreddit all the time. Suddenly I realize Iā€™m arguing with someone who only has knowledge of this century, and I feel old and foolish of which I am neither.

Reactions: madtownvol

Gee...she has been here 2 days and hasn't signed a recruit......talk about pressure..

VN Store

Back