Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

Will all of the people praising the hire still be doing the same when she doesn’t make the NCAA Tournament next year? Not her fault. She’s a proven d2 coach, but keep that same energy next March.

Again, her saving grace is that DW will get her NIL money so he can save face from firing our top 3-4 SEC coach. Hopefully she schedules a good portion of the Conference USA as opposed to our #1 schedule nationally this past season with 20 wins.
Please pass me your crystal ball. Thanks.

Reactions: Exiled
This woman has been a HC for 8 years and has won close to 90% (.875) of those games. I think I will consider this a good hire until my eyes tell me it wasn't. All of y'all about to jump off the ledge look absolutely ridiculous IMO.
Wise words Knecht

Sorry, but I disagree with you. KH was 12-37 against ranked opponents. Her wins came from mediocre & bad teams. She only recruited 3 Freshmen in the past two years. You can't sustain a program with JC transfers and portal gains. In the Women's game, the players usually stay in school for 4 years (no one and done). It's important to go out and get Freshmen. Who knows? There might be a Ju-Ju or Hildago in the class.
Nyla Brooks was an elite player in the 2025 class but we loss her.

What elite player wants to commit to a coach with one year at a mid-major college, with a blowout loss in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Winning at D2 won't attract names also being recruited by Uconn, Texas, LSU, SC, Stanford, USC, and now even Kentucky. (and more) BTW, how did Kentucky end up with Kenny Brooks and we get a Newby who may or may not advance the program.
Those who want to win a a major university and play for a coach who will prepare them for a bigger and better future.

but KC hasn’t proven she can win or recruit at this level. that’s what they’re trying to say. yes, we know kellie didn’t do AMAZING here, but she was “good.” i hope kim can elevate us above that good mark, but she isn’t at marshall anymore. she’s recruiting against dawn, kenny, vic, mulkey, etc. she’s inexperienced at this level, ppl have every right to be wary of that.
She has proven she can win almost 90 percent of the games she has coached and can/does win titles. Best hire that could have been made at this time. Congrats to AD White.

Reactions: 24/7vol
I like the way DW gets something when he makes a change. I don't know if this lady can win at this level but we are buying a high octane offense and a full time pressure defense. This seems better than hiring someone who we think can coach the ball screen offense better then the last ball screen offense coach. Something new, similar to the JH and other hires. I was sad to read her comments on recruiting, in the end womens basketball down to who gets the top 20 players.

She has proven she can win almost 90 percent of the games she has coached and can/does win titles. Best hire that could have been made at this time. Congrats to AD White.

Stop with the 90 percent blather. Div. II is not Div. 1 is not major college. I'm sure there are high-school coaches who have won 90 percent of their games. Most don't get snapped up by major colleges. Let's not act like we zoomed in and snapped her up before six other majors could get to her. Not the case. But if she sprinkles fairy dust on her players and we go 30-3 or somesuch within the next 3 years I'll eat a hat before the LV diehards.

Stop with the 90 percent blather. Div. II is not Div. 1 is not major college. I'm sure there are high-school coaches who have won 90 percent of their games. Most don't get snapped up by major colleges. Let's not act like we zoomed in and snapped her up before six other majors could get to her. Not the case. But if she sprinkles fairy dust on her players and we go 30-3 or somesuch within the next 3 years I'll eat a hat before the LV diehards.
Best Hire that could have been made. No one else was even close.

It's women's basketball. Are the rules different in the SEC than everywhere else?

Reactions: Alto1
I really feel like none of this would be happening if not for recruiting woes and the distinct possibility of being 2 years away from being the next school to hold open tryouts after a couple of injuries bc the roster is so darn thin - not even on talent but sheer numbers. Soooo let's see what the roster looks like a month from now. Recruiting will be everything to get back on track and assistants are critical to that process so too many unanswered questions to panic.

Interesting that the players did not immediately run to the portal in the past week. The only one that immediately bailed was Tamari. While they all seemed to like Harper, it is possible they also sensed a need for a change. It's possible for both to be true at the same time. Use the breath of fresh air and appeal of her style of play (and improved NIL) to get some missing pieces... let's see where it goes🤞🏻🤞🏻

The more I read and learn about her the more I like this hire. She’s a winner. I think a lot of folks are gonna be eating crow in a couple years.
A lot of folks just have questions. Very few are adamantly against it. I swear some people see a comment of "she is a bad hire" and are like 'dis be how everyone thinkin grunt fart grunt.'

What makes u think she will get elite recruits to come here?
Brand sells itself. She has a plan. This is Tennessee who now has an innovative coach who lets her team play and have fun while being aggressive. She has won at every level in her career. I don't see any reasons why she can not win in the SEC if given support by our fan base. NIL is gonna be big regardless of Coach.

Yes they are. You must have multiple highly ranked, highly skilled elite players to come close. If you don’t have them, you must recruit them quickly. That’s the difference.
She will get athlete's on the same level as other SEC schools. This is the Lady Vols we're talking about. When those players get here she'll just keep on winning like everywhere else she's been. I don't think it will take long. I think she'll have a competitive team in year 1.

Reactions: Exiled

VN Store

Back