Recruiting Football Talk VII

SECMike has a good point here, OL is the hardest position to recruit and everyone else is pushing for OL. Mincey, Campbell, Mays and Spraggins all have an extra year of eligibility left, we should honestly just spend the NIL we would have spent on transfer OL to keep them here an extra year

this is exactly right

Bud Elliott brought this up last year when he was checking in with multiple staffs going into ESD and the portal period. He said all the coaches were like "ah, we missed on this OL or that OL, but we're going to be active in the portal" and Bud said that literally everyone was saying it. He basically said the same thing Mike is saying, but a year ago.

That's why guys like Francis last cycle and Seaton this cycle are going to command a huge NIL, and are probably worth it. And to mccoy's point, we have to find a way to get current guys to stick around.

You can analyze into a zillion metrics if you choose. But the difference between O and D with D points allowed versus O points scored will always give a good indication of the W's & L's at season end. TL;dr.

30 on O vs. 21 on D in 2023 = 9 points = 8 win season plus TBD

46.1 on O vs. 23.5 on D in 2022 = 22.6 points = 11 win season and #6 ranking

Schedule - in general was similar. Regression strongly occurring at the end of 2023. Pretty obvious where the issues are.

National/SEC elite programs of UGA and Bama have scoring D's below 18 PPG both seasons. Both have O's scoring over 36 PPG. UGA is ahead of Bama by 4-5 PPG in each, which explains why they have won two NC's in a row and on pace for a third.

Which leads back to what we need to do to be at their level. That is obvious as well.

#1 - Improve the assistant coaching staff and recruiting as needed. Recruiting needs to take off now that the NCAA is behind us. We have the NIL money. No more excuses for under performing in that area. OC has to improve or be replaced. The new QB may be the answer to that if we can retain and develop an O line. We missed Golesh badly this season.

#2 - The O scoring regression has been what has caused a 2-3 game difference in W's. The previous year's roster had better players at a number of positions. That opens the playbook. However, the talent level actually playing on the field has been equal except at QB, receiver and at OC. The coaching staff chose not to utilize their own younger players they recruited over playing the older players.

#3 - Get a scondary. Portal and recruiting. Develop better, call coverages better, etc. Again, a change at secondary coach. No elite secondary players are going to be Vols with CWM there.

Roster turnover of older players will handle the rest. Addition by subtraction.

Done - moving on to recruiting and basketball.

this is exactly right

Bud Elliott brought this up last year when he was checking in with multiple staffs going into ESD and the portal period. He said all the coaches were like "ah, we missed on this OL or that OL, but we're going to be active in the portal" and Bud said that literally everyone was saying it. He basically said the same thing Mike is saying, but a year ago.

That's why guys like Francis last cycle and Seaton this cycle are going to command a huge NIL, and are probably worth it. And to mccoy's point, we have to find a way to get current guys to stick around.
This is why left tackle is one of the highest paid positions in the NFL. It will be the same way in college football.

So you agree, we've regressed.

The sooner Banks is gone the sooner we can start building a defense That's even close to SEC quality.

SC last year, 7 straight drives, 7 straight TDs. 🤣
Yeah, but they had our defensive signs and knew exactly what we would be doing defensively. This is a well established fact that cannot be disputed.

That being said, I am neither pro or con on Banks. I think the defense is better than it was in Heup's first year but is still frustrating to watch in many cases. We go into soft zone and force the other team to dink and dunk their way down field. Last year we would bow up in the red zone quite often and force a FG but this year (especially after the Bama game) we have not been able to do that. I would almost rather us play press man and risk getting beat over the top than let the other team go on 8+ minute drives while our offense sits on the sideline.

I will say, regarding the bowl game, if the other youngsters at other positions (non-QB) don't get reps then that's a problem.

We need to keep the young, hungry guys that we have happy and invested, and out of the portal. And we need to identify who is not going to cut it so we can do our own portaling.

I guess it depends on the bowl game and opponent, but I'd rather some young guys, particularly in the secondary and on the OL, get some reps
I've thought about this some more. I don't think Joe needs to play in the bowl game. He is what he is on film at this point. He needs to shut it down and get ready for Pro Day and the Combine, which is where he stands to gain the most stock now.

Joe leading the Vols to a Texas A&M or Kentucky repeat vs some mid-tier ACC or Big Ten opponent does nothing for him, does nothing for the team going into 2024.

Gotta roll all our youngsters and depth players out for the bowl game. Get some teachable moments on film, measure your potential across all units.

Not the UTAD. CJH chose status quo last year and promoted from within where necessary. He will have the same choice this year. UT is giving him both support and space to manage and optimize his personnel.

That’s good news then. I’d rather have CJH have the freedom to make changes as needed. Status quo last year was perfectly reasonable. At this point though he must have a good idea of what holes need to be filled, and if the UTAD is in support, then it could be a net positive after the changes he implements.

Yeah......it's not about football, it's personal. Been tryin' to find out what Banks did to some of them because the hate is strong.

As fans, you should be encouraged and excited that the defense has improved and is heading in the right direction.

The DC job was one that nobody wanted even though it would have been one of the highest paid positions in college football. We threw money at some hot name coaches and they turned us down. They knew it was a rebuild and they knew what it is like playing opposite of a fast paced offense and NO ONE wanted any parts of this defense.

Coach Banks had the courage to step in do the work. It doesn't always look pretty, it's not always fun to watch, but he's done what has been necessary to help win some games and improve the D, but for that he gets hate from some of our own fanbase. It's personal....nothing to do with football.
I agree with Prof and FTL. I like the way the DL recruits and plays. I like the way the LBers play when healthy but we need to recruit better. Our safeties don’t bust a ton of coverages. Neither do our DB’s. We just need to improve our secondary most in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTProf
I've thought about this some more. I don't think Joe needs to play in the bowl game. He is what he is on film at this point. He needs to shut it down and get ready for Pro Day and the Combine, which is where he stands to gain the most stock now.

Joe leading the Vols to a Texas A&M or Kentucky repeat vs some mid-tier ACC or Big Ten opponent does nothing for him, does nothing for the team going into 2024.

Gotta roll all our youngsters and depth players out for the bowl game. Get some teachable moments on film, measure your potential across all units.

Yes. Younger guys (esp Nico) need to see live fire for a full game. Have to see how they respond to it. Thanks to Joe for getting us here but it’s time to move on.

I am hoping Joe will pass on the bowl game. He started in the Orange Bowl and knows it would be a big deal for Nico. He has always excelled at "being a team player." This would clinch it.

Also I really hope the fans give Joe in particular (and all these seniors) a gigantic cheer on Saturday like he was their all-time favorite. That would be the best way for him to transition out. And let the forward-looking bowl cheers go to Nico who "Joe has done so much to help to get ready for his own day." Let it be like that.

Last edited:
I think they'll let it play out. Some staffers may leave on their own and that will determine how it dominos. CJH has been conservative with personnel. Stability was important, and nobody wants to upset that, but perhaps there is benefit in bringing in a little fresh perspective.

Should of changed 2nd quarter vs Florida or 2nd half vs Alabama.

VN Store

Back