Recruiting Football Talk VII

Yall see Elijah Herrings PFF grade? Lol in the 30s and we kept putting him on the field.

Telanders was just shy of 60 and he only played 29 snaps.

Telander is going to be a beast, if he was the same size as Elijah Herring (6'3" 240ish) then he would be a monster.

They have Telander listed at 228...but he seems thinner to me. Unfortunately though Banks seems to prefer guys who know the plays over guys that can make the plays. (Tank still starting, Mitchell last season, Elijah this season)

But if he really wants to run zone so damn much he better find some players with length and speed to burn.

I think they'll let it play out. Some staffers may leave on their own and that will determine how it dominos. CJH has been conservative with personnel. Stability was important, and nobody wants to upset that, but perhaps there is benefit in bringing in a little fresh perspective.
What do you think of the younger staff on the offense side? Like Pope and Abeln?

I know Halaze is just new at oc so he’ll get better

I think he is a great run blocker and someone you can rely on to get you those 5 yds you need to keep a drive alive.

Will he come back from that ankle injury okay though? That’s the question, that type of break/dislocation changes a player for life.
Id call that writing on the wall.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Not the UTAD. CJH chose status quo last year and promoted from within where necessary. He will have the same choice this year. UT is giving him both support and space to manage and optimize his personnel.
If he has complete authority, that is a major mistake IMO. We want him to succeed here, not hang himself. He still has a lot of growing to do as a HC.

May be a bumpy ride if what you say is true. Again, this offseason will determine his future IMO.

Thanks for the reveal......✌️
no-problem.gif

SECMike has a good point here, OL is the hardest position to recruit and everyone else is pushing for OL. Mincey, Campbell, Mays and Spraggins all have an extra year of eligibility left, we should honestly just spend the NIL we would have spent on transfer OL to keep them here an extra year

All of which were injured, three early in the season. They are all quality SEC level players. Sometimes the best recruits are the ones already on the team that you retain.

If he has complete authority, that is a major mistake IMO. We want him to succeed here, not hang himself. He still has a lot of growing to do as a HC.

May be a bumpy ride if what you say is true. Again, this offseason will determine his future IMO.
Successful coaches must be given complete authority to run their operations in their own way or they will absolutely fail. If his way "hangs himself", then he was never going to succeed in the first place. AD's stepping in and controlling coaching personnel decisions is part of what got us into this mess many years ago.

Season tickets for next year...I think current season ticket holders are in their window to renew, move, add, etc. Is that correct? If so, does anyone know when the remaining tickets will go on sale. I'd really like to try to get two for next year, and I've never had them before.

You're wrong for this one.
Bru does a ton of small things well, he can make tough grabs, and he's a bully on the outside when it comes to blocking. We need him back.
Agreed. For ex. on the RB screen to Sampson where Squirrel gets obliterated while trying to block that UGA safety, that doesn’t happen to Bru. Sampson still picked up several yards but if Bru was out there instead of Squirrel, it’s likely a first down if not more.

SECMike has a good point here, OL is the hardest position to recruit and everyone else is pushing for OL. Mincey, Campbell, Mays and Spraggins all have an extra year of eligibility left, we should honestly just spend the NIL we would have spent on transfer OL to keep them here an extra year

I agree with the concept but there is something going on with Mincey. I do hope he gets whatever is wrong turned around and all four return. Would be huge.

@jave36 I think you follow this program. I don't think Arky fans will be too happy about this. What do you think?
Fans really like him. Most I know want him to come back. He's an extremely likeable guy, and he's been right on the cusp of getting over the hump. 1 score away at Bama, lsu, MSU, byu, couple others.

Agreed. For ex. on the RB screen to Sampson where Squirrel gets obliterated while trying to block that UGA safety, that doesn’t happen to Bru. Sampson still picked up several yards but if Bru was out there instead of Squirrel, it’s likely a first down if not more.
Exactly.
Also the one double stack play we like to run, Bru was typically the "pick" guy who took out the DB and let the other guy get loose. He was the only one who could run it without getting OPI called.

My little stats are what coaches are judged on by their peers, and based on that, defense has gotten better overall, year after year, even considering the roster issues, depth issues and playing along side of a fast offense last year and an offense this year that has regressed and is struggling to score.
Well
The offense won more games then the damn defense did but whatever
The defense didn’t give us a chance this year against good offenses

3rr down was automatic for good teams against us

I know bama changed dcs after last year and they were pretty damn good but I guess it’s ok to just win the games we’re supposed to and not worry about the big games we get our asses kicked in
No reason to try and win those but hey, at least the defense is good against bad competition anyways
No reason to want to win

Again what’s the stats in the big games, those are the ones that matter. Going 8-4 won’t get you in the playoffs

Support, guidance and resources-- yes. Demands and ultimatums-- no, I don't see that at this point with this admin and this coach. I agree that CJH needs to continue to grow as a HC, and he will be given what he needs to do that. He has been given the freedom to build the staff he thinks is conducive to program growth and success, as well.

I've said before that there is a fine line between stability and stagnation, and we want to stay on the right side of it. I think it's a good time to assess where we are and adjust accordingly. But that's JMO.

You don’t want your AD picking your assistant coaches. How would White be better at that than Fulmer…who was an experienced HC and not good at it?

VN Store

Back