'09 GA LB Dexter Moody

Yes, he's said that he's ready to sign if we offer. Here's the deal and what the coaches are looking so hard at: Georgia already had him on a one-strike policy. He got his strike when he assaulted his teacher, and they cut ties. The question is, why did they have him already on that short leash. I have heard that he has had issues previously, but I am not aware of any specific instances. Whether or not the coaches find out anything I also cannot say. This is a wait and see situation.

In addition to the incident with his teacher, he also (allegedly) slept with his high school coach's wife...so, that didn't do a lot to help his character in the eyes of the Georgia coaches.

Seriously? Wow!

Yep, that's my understanding.

I'd heard rumors about it before Georgia released him...came from a buddy in Emanuel county who knows the coaching staff at ECI. He'd said the Georgia coaches were looking into it to see if there was any validity, and that they'd be taking action if they found it was true....sure enough, a couple of weeks later, they released him.

From Tony Basilio's "X" man

After talking to someone last night, here are my observations about where UT stands with Dexter Moody.

On Moody, just for clarification, the deadline has passed for prospects to sign National Letters of Intent. So, technically, if UT offers him a scholarship I don’t believe he would “sign” anything. Provided he gets his grades in order and is admitted by the University, all he does is enroll and show up.

I think there are four issues at work here:

1) My understanding is that he still has grade issues that he has to work through. In fairness to Dexter Moody, a lot of prospects at this point still in the school year either have classroom work to do or have to make a test score. Remember that he originally signed a Letter of Intent with Georgia so he has been on an academic track to meet/comply with SEC and NCAA requirements.

2) I understand information is still be gathered on the incident(s) that may have occurred at his high school concerning an alleged confrontation with a teacher. I believe though if UT thought there was a huge issue there they wouldn’t have invited him up for the spring game ;

Taking Dexter Moody would further help UT with its recruiting efforts in the state of Georgia. UT ‘s recent signing class include Darren Myles, Robert Nelson, Toney Williams, Nigell-Mitchell Thornton all from the state of Georgia and all these kids will have a chance to play next year I'm convinced. UT has offered scholarships to approximately 20, 2010 prospects in the state of Georgia and is actively recruiting 10 to 15 others. Some of their most coveted prospects for 2010 live in the state of Georgia. Conversely, if they take Dexter Moody and it doesn’t work out (see item 2 above), it has the potential to backfire on them; and,

4) I think this is a very important point that is being overlooked. There is no doubt Dexter Moody is an athletically gifted prospect. However, it needs to be said that he played high school football in one of the lower, if not the lowest, football classifications, in the state of Georgia.

I understand part of the decision is whether he is a prospect that can come in and play quickly (which is what they need) OR whether he is so raw technique-wise and the competition level he played against in high school was so weak he was able to get by on athleticism alone.

If he needs some “seasoning” so to speak (ie a red-shirt season as an example), maybe there are 2010 linebacker prospects UT is currently recruiting they prefer?

I hate to draw comparisons but Chris Donald , currently running second team linebacker at UT, was a highly rated linebacker prospect from West Tennessee coming out of high school when he signed with UT. Chris Donald played high school football in one of the state’s lower football classifications. I don’t believe anyone would question that Chris Donald’s transition from high school football to SEC football has been slow.

I'm certain of one thing… this staff has done and continues to do its homework. The decision to take this prospect is based upon the above AND how20taking this prospect fits into the 2009 season and their longer term recruiting plans.'

In addition to the incident with his teacher, he also (allegedly) slept with his high school coach's wife...so, that didn't do a lot to help his character in the eyes of the Georgia coaches.

I was aware of that as well, but it seems to be hearsay. It's one of those things people say. The same thing is being said about Markeith Ambles. They say he slept with a coach's wife. I don't pretend to know the truth in either situation.

If I were the husband and my wife was banging a high school kid, I would probably kill myself.

But I'm not the husband, and Dexter Moody is awesome.

Well I AM the husband and that's what I was thinking too...

jk Dexter Moody is pretty awesome we should let him in

lol forreal no offense to you Tennesseans but there is no comparison btw TN hs football and GA hs football in ANY classification

I take exception to that, in 1992, my senoir yr, We Copper Basin (TN Class A enrollment 331) beat Fannin Co (GA Class AA enrollment over 1000) 13-9. Basin also plays N GA teams on a regular basis and usually wins. Speaking of players from single A schools, a couple of names come to mind Carl Pickens (Murphy, NC), Heath Shuler (Swain Co, NC) and Eddie Moore (South Pittsburg). Pickens and Shuler were all-Americans and Moore was all-SEC (I think).

From Tony Basilio's "X" man

im born and raised in tennessee and love the state alot but ive lived in georgia for the past ten years. i played high school ball in TN and been around alot of football and im sure alot of the AA schools in georgia from what ive seen would beat the 5 A schools in TN just my evaluation.

I take exception to that, in 1992, my senoir yr, We Copper Basin (TN Class A enrollment 331) beat Fannin Co (GA Class AA enrollment over 1000) 13-9. Basin also plays N GA teams on a regular basis and usually wins. Speaking of players from single A schools, a couple of names come to mind Carl Pickens (Murphy, NC), Heath Shuler (Swain Co, NC) and Eddie Moore (South Pittsburg). Pickens and Shuler were all-Americans and Moore was all-SEC (I think).

Fannin County is THE worst high school team in georgia.

Fannin Co? Give me a break. Not every single team in GA is amazing, and DEF not Fannin Co. Also, the N GA teams Basin plays prob aren't the best N GA teams. Furthermore, everybody in GA knows that the real deal all star D-1 football is in South GA....and Buford, and I KNOW they haven't played Buford bc that would be a big L for Basin whoever that is.

Last edited:
Fannin Co? Give me a break. Not every single team in GA is amazing, and DEF not Fannin Co. Also, the N GA teams Basin plays prob aren't the best N GA teams. Furthermore, everybody in GA knows that the real deal all star D-1 football is in South GA....and Buford, and I KNOW they haven't played Buford bc that would be a big L for Basin whoever that is.

Warner Robbins is pretty good usually

VN Store

Back