'24 DC OT Jordan Seaton (Future Portal Entry)

I get it, but also Ginther and Perry are tackles for us - along with the blue chip guy I can't think of right now. Max Anderson could play tackle as well.

I mean, its uscjr - for all intents and purposes we should be able to take who we want over them. But that staff has some weird momentum right now, especially in the DC area. Think it has something to do with Under Armour or something. Maybe that falls off this coming season when they have another 7-5 season, highlighted by getting wrecked by us.
I'm not disagreeing or discounting that they have that weird connection to DC, right now. It's very much true and strange. I just think our depth chart, specifically in the 24 class has to be more appealing to Seaton. Whether he is or isn't, Seaton's clearly got to believe he's better than Ginther or Perry. It feels like we are maybe trying to hope they can be tackles out of necessity, when in reality, both (along with Anderson) may actually project better at guard.

I'd just be a little hesitant about being an "outsider" and casting my lot with USCe, having two other elite options at my position in the same class, especially them both being instate kids. That's all I'm saying, and having said that, I think we can agree that both sides probably feel like they have an edge for the reasons we've discussed.

See the recruits we have missed on already or are about to miss on because we are supposedly "not going to overpay"... that can also be used as a good excuse when you don't have the funds to pay... Just showing both sides...
How so? How does unwillingness to overpay suggest someone couldn't if they were foolish enough to do so? Every rich person I have ever personally known has a strong aversion to overpaying... most insist on underpaying even when they were able to pay full price. By habit they don't run into the quick stop and buy a 2L Coke for double what they'd pay at Walmart. And that's a big reason they're rich.

The same principle is at work here. Your best result will always come from correctly identifying value and refusing to overpay.

UT isn't missing on recruits according to reports because their NIL offers aren't good and fair. It isn't like they're insulting these recruits. Kids have a lot of reasons to choose one school over another. NIL is part but not all of it. UT has WON recruits in this cycle without having the highest NIL offer. All of the things that have always counted in recruiting still count. If you can't handle "losing" in recruiting emotionally... then you don't want your team to pursue great talent because those are the guys other top programs want too.

Last edited:
That's not really how supply and demand works. That's guessing.

Is a sheet of plywood worth $250 due to an incoming hurricane? A desperate person might pay it at that moment, but that's not really a sign of the worth of the plywood, it's a sign of the desperation of the person. Despite those who characterize our lack of willingness to overspend as weakness, I'd argue it is just the opposite. The guy who can safely walk away from the $250 plywood because he has alternatives is clearly better off than the guy who's wiling to buy it because he has no other choice. JMO.

How so? Every commodity you ever bid on will be subject to perceived value or in this case potential value.

This isn't a thing governed by S&D in the sense that the absolute values are known. A guy like Seaton may "look" good as a recruit so you pay him $400k in NIL... and then prove in time that he has the worth of Chris Donald as a player. If Chris Donald were being recruited today, he'd probably command a big NIL payout. And he'd still be a guy who couldn't start for UTC in spite of his 5* rating.

In my business we buy a LOT of feed corn. Our bids are largely pushed by S&D. The value in terms of starch, fiber, and fat are fairly well known or predictable. NIL for HS recruits is a LOT more speculative than that.
Chris Donald would not get a dime of NIL today. His age and history would guarantee it.

Reactions: sjt18
Is a sheet of plywood worth $250 due to an incoming hurricane? A desperate person might pay it at that moment, but that's not really a sign of the worth of the plywood, it's a sign of the desperation of the person. Despite those who characterize our lack of willingness to overspend as weakness, I'd argue it is just the opposite. The guy who can safely walk away from the $250 plywood because he has alternatives is clearly better off than the guy who's wiling to buy it because he has no other choice. JMO.
I'm well aware of how price gouging and artificial inflation works. One key problem with your little analogy.....plywood didn't hit the market for the first time about a year ago. The market price has been established.

I'm well aware of how price gouging and artificial inflation works. One key problem with your little analogy.....plywood didn't hit the market for the first time about a year ago. The market price has been established.

And neither did paying players. NIL changed nothing except the legality.

We first dropped in the Monday night chat the news that offensive tackle Jordan Seaton had reached out to Tennessee and other schools of late. The DC native, who plays for IMG, will be in Nashville next weekend to play Lipscomb and Tennessee is hoping to get him to town for an official visit for the UTSA game with IMG on a bye that week.
-VQ

I have a subway gift card with $4.56 left on it. An unused $10 burger king gift card, expired bed, bath and beyond coupons and I'll even throw in a punch card that is one smoothie away from a free smoothie at a local Jacksonville place.

I can't imagine he'll turn that down.

Damn thought that said expired bed, I was sold, but nvm now

Reactions: RikidyBones
And neither did paying players. NIL changed nothing except the legality.
That's not even remotely true. No program has ever even been accused of paying an athlete anywhere near a million dollars before NIL and now it happens all the time. The market price and the game are completely different.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
You hit the nail on the head with the market price. It’s just a weird market. Still figuring out what market price is on most these kids. Also NIL budgets are going up as we go and some NILs are also just crazy like Miami and will come out and throw a crazy figure at a player. I think Spyre likely believes that some programs will spend themselves out on just a few players. IE Missouri going all in on a player.

VN Store

Back