If you could add any player from vol history to the current roster...

ankh83

Stray dogma
... who would it be?

This was a question posted on twitter that sent me down a rabbit hole. Having only been a die hard vols fan for about 25 years now; there is still much for me to learn.

I came across the name Bob Johnson and thought it was worthy of sharing as this man deserves honoring.

Wiki - UTSports - NFF - Recent Podcast - Bangles Article

A very short list of his accolades...

First recruit of Doug Dickie
All American & All SEC in 66-67
Best lineman in the SEC - Multiple awards
Placed 6th for the heisman... as a center.
Won first Natty since Neyland was coach

First person ever drafted by the Bangles - first round - second overall
12 season - 11 as captain
If there is a hall of fame in regards to football, he is in it.
Harvard business grad

... who would it be?

This was a question posted on twitter that sent me down a rabbit hole. Having only been a die hard vols fan for about 25 years now; there is still much for me to learn.

I came across the name Bob Johnson and thought it was worthy of sharing as this man deserves honoring.

Wiki - UTSports - NFF - Recent Podcast - Bangles Article

A very short list of his accolades...

First recruit of Doug Dickie
All American & All SEC in 66-67
Best lineman in the SEC - Multiple awards
Placed 6th for the heisman... as a center.
Won first Natty since Neyland was coach

First person ever drafted by the Bangles - first round - second overall
12 season - 11 as captain
If there is a hall of fame in regards to football, he is in it.
Harvard business grad
He is why I started following the Bengals so many years ago

Lot of great players but if you want an instant impact that could give you a TD on a kick return, a punt return, a end around, a screen into a TD a long pass getting behind the receivers. It has to be Cordarelle Patterson the human hi-lite reel. Imagine what he would do with Hueple scheming even mediocre coaching didn't hold him back.

No question..............Al Wilson ! Best linebacker ever at Tennesse(IMO) and I have watched the Vols many many years ! And yes, there have been many good ones down through the year .
Favorite Vol of all time AND he makes everyone on BOTH sides of the ball BETTER. He’s one of the best leaders ever at UT. We’d just plain be better and our LBs would learn a ton.

Tough to choose only one and my mind immediately goes to defensive players like: Eric Berry, Reggie White, Dale Carter, Leonard Little, Albert Haynesworth, or John Henderson, since thats the side of the ball that has to make the biggest step. But how fun would it be to see this offense with Cordarrelle Patterson, Alvin Kamara, Willie Gault, or Donte Stallworth.

I'm torn between two schools of thought. On one hand a great DB, say Berry, would fill an obvious position of need and man could he play.

OTOH if a large part of our defense is predicated on assuming other teams having to play keep up with our offense would our most "bang for the buck" be in pressuring their QB? In theory I could be playing DB if the opposing QB is under duress almost immediately after every snap.

So I'm going to settle for Plan B and after much ruminating between Reggie White and Doug Atkins have decided to go for the latter. Partly because there's no way he wouldn't be a terror even if we shipped him straight from the 50's but I'd be very curious to see the results of what modern nutrition and training would have done with that beast.

Our offense is fine so it would have to be defensive guy. You guys have picked all the best ones already, Eric Berry, Reggie White and Al Wilson. Since we are weakest at linebacker I would have to go with Al Wilson

Yep. I'm just going to add Dale Carter, Deon Grant, Dewayne Goodrich, and Terry McDaniels. 😃 Those five are our nickel package. LFG!

Substitute Roland James for Dewayne Goodrich and I'm with you.

But I think the obvious answer to this would be a healthy Hendon Hooker (no disrespect to Joe).

Do a 3 way flip,of the coin between Michaels, Leonaerd, and Reggie White.

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back