If you could add any player from vol history to the current roster...

Peyton Manning..

I will probably be banned from this site after this but I am not sure Peyton is the guy you want anymore in college football. The pocket passer has just not been that successful in CFB. In the NFL it is still the standard but without NFL caliber lineman you really need a QB that can scramble. That is what made Hooker so dangerous. I will always love Peyton. I have one of his signed jersey's in my man cave, but give me a running QB that can make high completion passes any day (again, in the NCAA. In the NFL Peyton is my fantasy team every time).

I might throw in Jamal Lewis. A bruiser of a back like him in this offense would make it near impossible to defend. Run softens pass coverage etc.
( yes I know defense has a greater need but dang it would be fun)

Eric Berry for need but to have an OG the caliber of Chip Kell or Bill Mayo or Harry Galbreath. . .special

Last edited:
Reactions: ankh83
I'm torn between two schools of thought. On one hand a great DB, say Berry, would fill an obvious position of need and man could he play.

OTOH if a large part of our defense is predicated on assuming other teams having to play keep up with our offense would our most "bang for the buck" be in pressuring their QB? In theory I could be playing DB if the opposing QB is under duress almost immediately after every snap.

So I'm going to settle for Plan B and after much ruminating between Reggie White and Doug Atkins have decided to go for the latter. Partly because there's no way he wouldn't be a terror even if we shipped him straight from the 50's but I'd be very curious to see the results of what modern nutrition and training would have done with that beast.
Doug wouldn’t have liked today’s training regime. He would have always been in the doghouse with the coaches, and the coaches would have been scared to death to try and discipline him. But not nearly as close to the fear that every QB and OL in the SEC would have.

My first thought was Reggie White. But how about some Chuck Webb!

I still believe as a pure runner Webb is as good as we've ever had. That he made such an impression with such a truncated career speaks volumes to his talent. However, it's a gamble on his ability to catch passes since he basically never did. In this offense I'd want that to be a vetted ability so put me down for Charlie Garner.

VN Store

Back