‘23 FL OT Lucas Simmons (FSU commit)

I would think the draw of USC would actually get less attractive. You go there for the nice weather and end up playing in the cold of the big ten
I don’t think the weather would be as big of a deal for him though being from Sweeden. I remember his OV here for the spring game he talked about how it reminded him of home when it was snowing then raining, then sunny etc.

As a general rule the teams dominating the last few years have higher rated players. Of course there are always a few surprises and busts. To say you don’t care about the star ranking at all is simply naive if you want UT to be competitive in the SEC or Nationally.

Since well more than half of the NFL was not 4 or 5 star, you could theoretically build a championship college team with zero blue chip players. The limitation is purely evaluation and development. Any rational person wants all the blue chippers we can get, but if our coaches accept the commitment of a 3* early in the cycle, they likely did so because they really wanted the player and feel like he is better than his ranking. Sometimes a teachable high character 3* with a high ceiling is more effective than a 5* jerk who won't do the work.

So yes, when they fit, bring me all the 5 stars, but if the coaches like a lower rated guy, I look forward to seeing what they see.

Since well more than half of the NFL was not 4 or 5 star, you could theoretically build a championship college team with zero blue chip players. The limitation is purely evaluation and development. Any rational person wants all the blue chippers we can get, but if our coaches accept the commitment of a 3* early in the cycle, they likely did so because they really wanted the player and feel like he is better than his ranking. Sometimes a teachable high character 3* with a high ceiling is more effective than a 5* jerk who won't do the work.

So yes, when they fit, bring me all the 5 stars, but if the coaches like a lower rated guy, I look forward to seeing what they see.
…and then you outscheme everyone else with well disciplined players

I’m not arguing against specific 3 stars. I’m talking about the overall star ratings for the Alabama’s and Georgia’s and a couple other teams that routinely make the cut for the 4 team bowl playoff.

Reactions: Naterade_23
Ok let me ask you something. Why do the same teams get the most highly rated “star” players every single year? So you want players that fit our system right? Well do the elite teams do that?

Let’s take Bama and UGA. Now they get tons of blue chip players. So does it just so happen that every blue chip player they get magically fit their system? Or is it that they get the best talent they can and tailor the system to fit the strengths of the talent the have?

Remember Botch Jones told Trevor Lawrence he didn’t fit his system. Yet he seemed to fit Dabos just fine.
That’s total fiction, man. Butch made enough mistakes…there’s no need for fake conspiracies.

No idea but "no" is to Elarbee being RoY for Simmons and Ramil.

Afaik this staff recruits by region, not position.

Nor is this OL class anywhere close to a nationally elite positional group of commits. Let's be real.

Reactions: VolNash17
Coming out of HS he sure was. We were a few years removed from not signing a OT prospect at all so excuse me for getting excited that year.
He was elite in ranking only….. our evaluations of players have been bad for years…. It’s why so many of our four to five star players have done absolutely nothing at Tennessee. A few years back….. they did a re-ranking of teams over a four year period…Clemson had finished outside the top 10 originally but were number 2 after being re ranked. The reason Alabama and Georgia have been so good is bc a good percentage of their evaluations have been correct.

People expect us to land players that typically go to UGA, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma. We are coming off 7-6 season lol. When we start winning 9+ games a year on a regular basis THEN it will be okay to bitch and complain about missing on elite players. But we aren't there yet and that's facts. This will still be a nasty class. 24 class will have legit top 5 or top 7 potential. Go Vawls!!!
I would also add that guys like Trevor Duncan and Sham were 3 stars about 5-6 weeks ago which proves these coaches are great at evaluating talent. I would expect guys like Conyer and Jalen Smith to see a bump as well. Just because guys we're chasing aren’t *currently* top 300 guys doesn’t mean they won’t end up there. The talent evaluation — even on guys we don’t land — has been wildly impressive.

I would also add that guys like Trevor Duncan and Sham were 3 stars about 5-6 weeks ago which proves these coaches are great at evaluating talent. I would expect guys like Conyer and Jalen Smith to see a bump as well. Just because guys we're chasing aren’t *currently* top 300 guys doesn’t mean they won’t end up there. The talent evaluation — even on guys we don’t land — has been wildly impressive.
Serious question here. What do you trust more? The recruiting service evals or our coaches' evals?

Serious question here. What do you trust more? The recruiting service evals or our coaches' evals?
I’ve been hurt by enough coaching staffs here that I immediately lean services, but I do legitimately think this current staff has a great eye for talent. They coached up players at all positions and I think they’re recruiting guys that fit their system. It’s also interesting to see that guys we’re recruiting all seem to be rising in the rankings as the process goes along, which as Tennessee fans, we’re used to seeing the opposite throughout the cycle. Until Heupel & Co give me a reason to question them, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt on anyone they accept a commitment from.

I'm going with choice #3..............On the field play.
I want team captains, players from winning teams, and guys that put up numbers in HS. Don't give a rats arse about 7on7.

VN Store

Back