‘23 FL OT Lucas Simmons (FSU commit)

Doesn't change the point. If a savant evaluator were able to identify with accuracy the 3* that goes to the league, and develops him well enough to do so, you could beat teams loaded with 5*. So the statement that it absolutely *requires* 5* players to win is provably false.

Does anyone exist that can do that? Probably not, but I'm sure some are better at it than others. As an example, Martinez has a pretty good track record of putting low ranked players in the NFL, so I'd give him some room to recruit lower ranked players if he wants them.

No doubt, take best every chance you get. I just find the stars argument to be overly simplistic and tiring. It's far more nuanced than either extreme of "stars don't matter" or "stars are all that matter".
Where did I say it requires 5 stars to win? I simply stated the track history has been and will continue to be that the programs with higher rated classes will compete for National Championships more than those schools that have lower recruiting rankings. So stars do matter as a whole for a class if a fan hopes his team can elevate their program to compete for N.C’s.

Where did I say it requires 5 stars to win? I simply stated the track history has been and will continue to be that the programs with higher rated classes will compete for National Championships more than those schools that have lower recruiting rankings. So stars do matter as a whole for a class if a fan hopes his team can elevate their program to compete for N.C’s.
Saban and a handful of others will keep getting talent in all likelihood. The recruiting sites will improve their "accuracy" by giving weight to the prospects those coaches like best.

Those teams aren't competing for championships because they're getting highly rated classes. They are winning because they know talent.

That's the opening. It isn't a huge one. Dabo is one of the few who was able to find it. There is talent that Bama, OSU, et al don't recognize or consider too risky. If a guy can string two or three classes together with even 5 underrated players in top 15 classes... then they can compete.

Again, small window of opportunity but probably more realistic than stealing Saban's candy or overcoming the recruiting advantage of UGA or the top Texas schools.

Saban and a handful of others will keep getting talent in all likelihood. The recruiting sites will improve their "accuracy" by giving weight to the prospects those coaches like best.

Those teams aren't competing for championships because they're getting highly rated classes. They are winning because they know talent.

That's the opening. It isn't a huge one. Dabo is one of the few who was able to find it. There is talent that Bama, OSU, et al don't recognize or consider too risky. If a guy can string two or three classes together with even 5 underrated players in top 15 classes... then they can compete.

Again, small window of opportunity but probably more realistic than stealing Saban's candy or overcoming the recruiting advantage of UGA or the top Texas schools.
Knowing talent = highly rated classes. This is especially true if the recruit g services are influenced by Bama, Georgia and a few others. I do agree that Dabo is an exception.

Reactions: sjt18

Oregon found the formula back in the day. It's similar to what we're doing now. They recruited athletes with speed. Not all were highly rated, but they all could run. Then they forced teams to keep up with a track team. We are currently recruiting speed and length. When we accumulate enough of it on defense.... look out. The offense will be there already.

Oregon found the formula back in the day. It's similar to what we're doing now. They recruited athletes with speed. Not all were highly rated, but they all could run. Then they forced teams to keep up with a track team. We are currently recruiting speed and length. When we accumulate enough of it on defense.... look out. The offense will be there already.
This is the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigl3327
As we are just a couple of days out from Clearwater Academy International (Fla.) four-star offensive tackle Lucas Simmons’ decision, I spoke to him last night to gauge where his head is at as he chooses between his top four of Florida State, Florida, USC, and Tennessee.
He tells me that he has not made his decision yet, and I believe it. There are aspects of each of his top four teams that stand out to him, but he maintains that his decision will ultimately come down to “the people.” There was no indicators in our conversation that he was leaning towards any specific program. However, he did tell me why he would choose each of the four schools when it comes down to it.
Why he would choose Tennessee:
“For me, the first time I went there, I thought they were going to use all the flash and glitz and glamour of it being Tennessee, SEC, the facilities and all that, like I thought that was going to be the main points, but once I got there, it was the people,” said Simmons. “That’s what really surprised me. Of course they have all the things that you would really want, but they are more focused on the people, and all the flashy things come second, so I just like where their heads are and what they think is real – what they think is important.”
Why he would choose Florida:
“I like how they have five O-line coaches and I know I'll get developed,” said Simmons. “There is constant development when you have five guys on you. I like where they are going as well.”
Why he would choose Florida State:
“I’ve been there so many times,” said Simmons. “I feel very comfortable with them. It feels real every time I'm there. It doesn't feel fake, and I’ve never had to question what they say. I trust them and I know what I'm getting from them, and they know what they are getting from me.”
Why he would choose USC:
“The opportunities and all,” said Simmons. “It’s a mix of the football side, then outside of football as well, talking about networking opportunities in LA and all of that. It could really set you up for life after football.
I also asked about the relevancy of NIL in his recruitment and whether that will factor into his decision as we come down to crunch time.
“No. Money comes in the league,” he responded.
If Florida State were to land Simmons’ talents, you could argue it as the biggest recruiting win of the Norvell era, as the 6-foot-7, 300-pounder is a legitimate left tackle prospect with obvious NFL upside.
We will continue getting updates on Simmons’ status as his announcement time approaches — 1pm on Monday.
The Sweden native checks in as the 13th best offensive tackle prospect, and the 109th overall prospect in the 2023 class by the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

When was the last time we nabbed a commitment from a prospect we weren’t supposed to? Just curious. Our guys tend to be pretty predictable.

This, this, this, and this.

As we are just a couple of days out from Clearwater Academy International (Fla.) four-star offensive tackle Lucas Simmons’ decision, I spoke to him last night to gauge where his head is at as he chooses between his top four of Florida State, Florida, USC, and Tennessee.
He tells me that he has not made his decision yet, and I believe it. There are aspects of each of his top four teams that stand out to him, but he maintains that his decision will ultimately come down to “the people.” There was no indicators in our conversation that he was leaning towards any specific program. However, he did tell me why he would choose each of the four schools when it comes down to it.
“For me, the first time I went there, I thought they were going to use all the flash and glitz and glamour of it being Tennessee, SEC, the facilities and all that, like I thought that was going to be the main points, but once I got there, it was the people,” said Simmons. “That’s what really surprised me. Of course they have all the things that you would really want, but they are more focused on the people, and all the flashy things come second, so I just like where their heads are and what they think is real – what they think is important.”
“I like how they have five O-line coaches and I know I'll get developed,” said Simmons. “There is constant development when you have five guys on you. I like where they are going as well.”
“I’ve been there so many times,” said Simmons. “I feel very comfortable with them. It feels real every time I'm there. It doesn't feel fake, and I’ve never had to question what they say. I trust them and I know what I'm getting from them, and they know what they are getting from me.”
Why he would choose USC:
“The opportunities and all,” said Simmons. “It’s a mix of the football side, then outside of football as well, talking about networking opportunities in LA and all of that. It could really set you up for life after football.
I also asked about the relevancy of NIL in his recruitment and whether that will factor into his decision as we come down to crunch time.
If Florida State were to land Simmons’ talents, you could argue it as the biggest recruiting win of the Norvell era, as the 6-foot-7, 300-pounder is a legitimate left tackle prospect with obvious NFL upside.
We will continue getting updates on Simmons’ status as his announcement time approaches — 1pm on Monday.
The Sweden native checks in as the 13th best offensive tackle prospect, and the 109th overall prospect in the 2023 class by the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

He said the people is why he would choose a school then literally said that’s what he likes about Tennessee. Vol

Why he would choose USC:
Vol!

Why he would choose USC:
The gators have 5 OL coaches? That seem excessive.

Didn’t mention anything about development when talking about us 😞😞😞

Reading into his comments I would say we are his 4th choice.

I’d go:
1. USC
2. Florida state
3. Florida
4. Vols

I think he misunderstood. I heard they are putting a Five guys burger joint on campus.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back