What is Tom Brady's place among the 5 greatest QBs in NFL history?

Otto Graham is like George Mikan. He played such a different brand of football I can’t really rank him to be quite honest.

Bart Starr probably deserves more credit but man did he play on some stacked teams. Like people criticize Brady for the “oh it was the system” but Starr was even more like that.

I find Bradshaw to be overrated. I know it was a different game, and he was better than Eli, but that’s how I view him. A 70’s version of Eli that won Super Bowls with loaded teams.

Sorry. But, NO. Not overrated. A winner. Yes, he had a great backfield and the best defense in history, but HE won several playoff games and TWO of those Super Bowls with his play.
He's one of three QBs I'd pick if I had one game I had to win. Plus..........He called his own plays. Let's see a QB today that can do that....

Reactions: volmanjr
Bradshaw is properly rated. Nobody (besides maybe Steelers fans) was throwing him in the GOAT convo (even before Brady put it to bed) and he has 4 SB's, so he's certainly not overrated.

Reactions: TC 83
Which QB out of all the greats listed (not counting the recently retired like Brees, Manning, Brady because we know how) would perform best in today's NFL.

Of course they'd all thrive, but I think Steve Young could rival P. Mahomes on the highlight reel.

Where does everyone put Warren Moon btw? Is he top 15 at least? I would think so.

Which QB out of all the greats listed (not counting the recently retired like Brees, Manning, Brady because we know how) would perform best in today's NFL.

Of course they'd all thrive, but I think Steve Young could rival P. Mahomes on the highlight reel.

Where does everyone put Warren Moon btw? Is he top 15 at least? I would think so.

I think all of the greats of years past would light it up due to all of the rule changes that benefit offenses. You were allowed to touch the QB and defenses could throw receivers on the ground when they played. Even Montana up to the early 90s got hit hard. They better question to ask is “how would the QBs of today do in the old NFL? “ my vote is “not as well”. Don’t give me that bigger stronger faster nonesense either. The QBs in the past were tougher with more challenging rules. Brady wouldn’t have lasted 5 years in the 70s or 80s. Before you young pups call me a boomer, I’m actually a gen x er.

I think all of the greats of years past would light it up due to all of the rule changes that benefit offenses. You were allowed to touch the QB and defenses could throw receivers on the ground when they played. Even Montana up to the early 90s got hit hard. They better question to ask is “how would the QBs of today do in the old NFL? “ my vote is “not as well”. Don’t give me that bigger stronger faster nonesense either. The QBs in the past were tougher with more challenging rules. Brady wouldn’t have lasted 5 years in the 70s or 80s. Before you young pups call me a boomer, I’m actually a gen x er.

Well that’s fine but you’re still 100% wrong about Brady not lasting five years. Maybe he doesn’t play till he’s 44 but he’s one of the toughest QB’s in NFL history.

While the game was more physical, those 230 lbs that ran 5.0 40’s in the 60’s and 70’s would see one Patrick Mahomes scramble and throw, believe he was an alien and retire.

Reactions: NashVol11
Sorry. But, NO. Not overrated. A winner. Yes, he had a great backfield and the best defense in history, but HE won several playoff games and TWO of those Super Bowls with his play.
He's one of three QBs I'd pick if I had one game I had to win. Plus..........He called his own plays. Let's see a QB today that can do that....

Bradshaw had a 212/210 TD-INT ratio, he only lead the league in TD’s once in a full season and his completion percentage was below average compared to other top QB’s of his era. He had three HOF skill players and an elite OL. Plus the best defense of the era.

He was great in the 78 playoffs, but the other years he didn’t tear it up. And yeah it’s cool he called his own plays with about 70-80 plays (I’m not sure calling Franco Harris’ number 30 times is that impressive anyway) but QB’s have to know and do so much more pre snap in today’s era.

I got no problem with him in the HOF. Want to put him top 25? I won’t argue. He doesn’t deserve to be top 10 though.

T
Bradshaw had a 212/210 TD-INT ratio, he only lead the league in TD’s once in a full season and his completion percentage was below average compared to other top QB’s of his era. He had three HOF skill players and an elite OL. Plus the best defense of the era.

He was great in the 78 playoffs, but the other years he didn’t tear it up. And yeah it’s cool he called his own plays with about 70-80 plays (I’m not sure calling Franco Harris’ number 30 times is that impressive anyway) but QB’s have to know and do so much more pre snap in today’s era.

I got no problem with him in the HOF. Want to put him top 25? I won’t argue. He doesn’t deserve to be top 10 though.

Top 10 (probably #10) and will always be Montana, Manning, or Bradshaw if my life depended on 1 game.

Well that’s fine but you’re still 100% wrong about Brady not lasting five years. Maybe he doesn’t play till he’s 44 but he’s one of the toughest QB’s in NFL history.

While the game was more physical, those 230 lbs that ran 5.0 40’s in the 60’s and 70’s would see one Patrick Mahomes scramble and throw, believe he was an alien and retire.

There is nothing tough about Brady and it’s laughable to say he is one of the toughest. He wasn’t touched for most of his career. His o line in NE gave him enough time to eat a sandwich and stand there throwing 5 yard slants all day. Maybe the avacodos or whatever his quack trainer gave him helped a bit.

Montana in today’s game owns Brady.

Montana played in a bounty gate era.

They aren’t even close to being on the same level.

Absolutely. Montana got hit very hard in his day. It today’s game he would be awesome. He was also more athletic and mobile than Brady so I agree he would do well in today’s game.

Reactions: NEO

You must be a youngster. Have many times have I told you all that you can’t compare stats of the 70s and 80s with stats of today. The online couldn’t block with their hands, defensive backs could hit receivers hard off the line. You could tackle the QB as hard as you wanted to. They didn’t call pass interference every time someone put a finger on a WR. I guarantee today’s QBs wouldn’t have the same kind of stats they do today if they played back then. The rules are so different they aren’t even playing the same game.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and NEO
There is nothing tough about Brady and it’s laughable to say he is one of the toughest. He wasn’t touched for most of his career. His o line in NE gave him enough time to eat a sandwich and stand there throwing 5 yard slants all day. Maybe the avacodos or whatever his quack trainer gave him helped a bit.

Yeah, no. I’m not gonna argue with someone who just hates.

You must be a youngster. Have many times have I told you all that you can’t compare stats of the 70s and 80s with stats of today. The online couldn’t block with their hands, defensive backs could hit receivers hard off the line. You could tackle the QB as hard as you wanted to. They didn’t call pass interference every time someone put a finger on a WR. I guarantee today’s QBs wouldn’t have the same kind of stats they do today if they played back then. The rules are so different they aren’t even playing the same game.

Horse collar tackle was legal.

Clothes line was used and excessive.

Targeting was legal.

Unless you are older and actually watched the 70s and 80s you have no idea how hard the hits those guys took.

Buddy Ryan literally put bounties on players and you got paid extra for injuring a player.

Brady is an amazing player but none of the QBs literally fear for their life’s now. They get tackled the D player has too basically caress them to the ground or it’s a penalty. Pre 2000s if the QB got sacked he was going down like it was a WWF finishing move.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Well, I’ve watched a lot of football since 1964. I have a hard time with the word “greatest”. Too subjective, too hard to define. So I go with a scenario. If a football game were played to save the planet, who would I want quarterbacking Earth’s team. I’ll take any of the following five: Unitas, Brady, Staubach, Montana, Elway. Those five just flat out refused to lose and did what it took to win.
I want Peyton running the offense then.

Vick, dude. We got a taste of what Vick would be in the modern NFL based on what we saw in Philly with Reid. Imagine if he were in Mahomes spot right now, same age? I don't think he'd be better than Mahomes but it'd be more electrifying

To be such a whiny ass people sure do think the world revolves around a QB with 1 ring and a few miracle throws.

Rodgers is average at best.

If Manning never met Brady he would be up there all alone.

Brees is also to high. A lot of high statistical years but nothing to show for it.

Horse collar tackle was legal.

Clothes line was used and excessive.

Targeting was legal.

Unless you are older and actually watched the 70s and 80s you have no idea how hard the hits those guys took.

Buddy Ryan literally put bounties on players and you got paid extra for injuring a player.

Brady is an amazing player but none of the QBs literally fear for their life’s now. They get tackled the D player has too basically caress them to the ground or it’s a penalty. Pre 2000s if the QB got sacked he was going down like it was a WWF finishing move.

They've taken some of the danger out of the position with rule changes, but Staubach (for example) wasn't dropping back 40x a night*, and being a sitting duck in the pocket for 40 snaps in a protected league is probably about as dangerous as handing the ball off 40 times and running waggles in a league with fewer rules and much smaller players. 1970s offensive linemen were the size of today's linebackers.

Think about it. How often do you see a QB get hurt outside the pocket? Both QB's got good lower leg bangs in the pocket in the SB last night. The pocket is dangerous.

*Looks like his big seasons were about 27 attempts per game, and you know a lot of that was not from dropbacks.

Last edited:
They've taken some of the danger out of the position with rule changes, but Staubach (for example) wasn't dropping back 40x a night*, and being a sitting duck in the pocket for 40 snaps in a protected league is probably about as dangerous as handing the ball off 40 times and running waggles in a league with fewer rules and much smaller players. 1970s offensive linemen were the size of today's linebackers.

Think about it. How often do you see a QB get hurt outside the pocket? Both QB's got good lower leg bangs in the pocket in the SB last night. The pocket is dangerous.

*Looks like his big seasons were about 27 attempts per game, and you know a lot of that was not from dropbacks.

The guys were not as but the head blows we’re insane. The CT issues from that era price it. Young retired due to concussions. The way they could slam you back then was brutal. Concussion protocol didn’t exist either so those guys were playing light headed and dazed.

VN Store

Back