Have Mercy...but What If the Unspeakable Happens...?

I don’t post much, and have seldom, if ever created a thread, but then again I’ve never seen my beloved Vols where they are right now. Let it be clearly stated that I BELIEVE we will win this Saturday, but then again I absolutely thought we would have won last Saturday with no problems.

So...WHAT IF we lose to BYU (surely not), lose to Chattanooga (Lord have mercy), and then get destroyed by Florida in the Swamp? Does anyone at all survive with an 0-4 start, and we’re suddenly facing the distinct previously unspeakable possibility of going completely, 100% winless in 2019?

*BTW, I hate the negative tone of my own post, and it’s not my nature to think this way...but after last week maybe it bears discussion...
What about 1-6 or 2-5?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
UAB went 11-2 last year and are always a little dangerous to play no matter their record.
UAB's offense will run circles around our defense. UAB can score points, on anyone. We might be in big trouble.

I don’t post much, and have seldom, if ever created a thread, but then again I’ve never seen my beloved Vols where they are right now. Let it be clearly stated that I BELIEVE we will win this Saturday, but then again I absolutely thought we would have won last Saturday with no problems.

So...WHAT IF we lose to BYU (surely not), lose to Chattanooga (Lord have mercy), and then get destroyed by Florida in the Swamp? Does anyone at all survive with an 0-4 start, and we’re suddenly facing the distinct previously unspeakable possibility of going completely, 100% winless in 2019?

*BTW, I hate the negative tone of my own post, and it’s not my nature to think this way...but after last week maybe it bears discussion...
I’d prepare myself for it, cause it’s very likely to happen.

What about 1-6 or 2-5?
Both are equally repugnant.

Let’s face it...most reasonable, realistic fans were expecting to sweep the 4 non-con games, (or at the very least go 3-1 with a possible struggle with BYU and maybe UAB). Most probably expected to also pick up 2-4 SEC wins to finish somewhere around 6-6, 7-5, or maybe even 8-4, but just about everyone considered GA State a sure win. Maybe that was the problem? When we lined up and got whipped in that game everything about this season changed. Now I feel like we’ve got to win the BYU game just to have a chance to show we can maintain our current state of mediocrity or meet/exceed reasonable expectations.

Again, I’m hoping last Saturday was a fluke, a mistake, and is not a true representation of our talent, our coaches, and our future. We’ll find out soon enough.

This type of thinking is why we are in the situation we are in now. It costs more to hire cheap no good coaches (and replace them with more cheap no good coaches) than it does hiring competent coaches on the front end. We have proven this with 4 straight bargain bin hires. Regarding the $$$$, if we hired the right coach, money wouldn't be an object (see Alabama with Saban, UGA with Kirby, UF with Mullen, etc.) The UTAD generates over $100M in revenues annually with a crap football program and any buyouts would be paid over 48 months (if after this season). The lost revenue next year from bringing back a 2-10 Pruitt next season would far exceed the amount of the buyout payments we would make to him in 2020.

I was going to make a similar comment -- that continued mediocrity (or worse) is so expensive over time that you end up better off paying him to leave.

But now I have a question because from my perspective UF went through that not too long ago. So we pay Muschamp to GTFO. And now the alumni scramble for tickets. Not so with the students. They don't seem to me to back in the fold. I see pockets of empty seats in the student sections. Not huge. But noticeable.

So my question is, at UT games are you also seeing way more alumni support and attendance compared to students?

Reactions: VolAllen
I was going to make a similar comment -- that continued mediocrity (or worse) is so expensive over time that you end up better off paying him to leave.

But now I have a question because from my perspective UF went through that not too long ago. So we pay Muschamp to GTFO. And now the alumni scramble for tickets. Not so with the students. They don't seem to me to back in the fold. I see pockets of empty seats in the student sections. Not huge. But noticeable.

So my question is, at UT games are you also seeing way more alumni support and attendance compared to students?
I think student attendance has been cut in half just about everywhere. Kids are weird these days. Rather drink mimosas and eat brunch lol

I think BYU is the crossroad. Win and we have a chance for a few more Ws; Lose and I really don't see more than 1-2 wins ,if that. Regardless, I think CJP gets through 2/3 of the season before he's gone. The program is easily one of the worst in the nation and may be on the verge of disarray for another decade. Anybody got $40-50 million to bail it out?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
We aren’t losing to Chattanooga. Everyone is over reacting. Wish Saturday would hurry and get here sheesh.

I think BYU is the crossroad. Win and we have a chance for a few more Ws; Lose and I really don't see more than 1-2 wins ,if that. Regardless, I think CJP gets through 2/3 of the season before he's gone. The program is easily one of the worst in the nation and may be on the verge of disarray for another decade. Anybody got $40-50 million to bail it out?
If BYU wins I think they go 8-4 while Tennessee wins 2 games or less.

GA State was a like...what? 97.5/2.5?
As of this morning, we’re still a 3.5 point favorite (at home) vs. BYU. Take away the home field and it’s basically a pick-em. I think I t will ultimately depend on how we respond to last week’s disaster, and we’ve gotta have a strong start out of the gate.

My concern with this team (and head coach, unfortunately) is that just when the time is right to step up, they’ve historically fallen down. (Just see Mizzou and Vandy last year). Maybe this will be the game when they do step up. If so, there may be hope to salvage some respectability and still get to a bowl game. If they don’t, it’ll probably be a long, miserable season, and we’ve had enough of those recently.

Reactions: VolAllen
As of this morning, we’re still a 3.5 point favorite (at home) vs. BYU. Take away the home field and it’s basically a pick-em. I think I t will ultimately depend on how we respond to last week’s disaster, and we’ve gotta have a strong start out of the gate.

My concern with this team (and head coach, unfortunately) is that just when the time is right to step up, they’ve historically fallen down. (Just see Mizzou and Vandy last year). Maybe this will be the game when they do step up. If so, there may be hope to salvage some respectability and still get to a bowl game. If they don’t, it’ll probably be a long, miserable season, and we’ve had enough of those recently.
If Tennessee loses to BYU this could be a terrible season the like of which Tennessee and it's fans has never seen

Reactions: BOB in GA

VN Store

Back