Have Mercy...but What If the Unspeakable Happens...?

What if we start 0-8 and finish 4-0?
Related to my expectations for 2019 prior to game one? Very disappointed with 4-8.

Considering what happened this past Saturday? Meh...something to build on for 2020, I guess. It would sure be nice to end on a winning streak again, but that would mean we would lose to Muschump, which is unbearable on its own. But at least we would beat Kentucky, Missouri, and Vandy for a change.

We should know more after BYU...here’s hoping the Vols show up to play this Saturday!

I don’t post much, and have seldom, if ever created a thread, but then again I’ve never seen my beloved Vols where they are right now. Let it be clearly stated that I BELIEVE we will win this Saturday, but then again I absolutely thought we would have won last Saturday with no problems.

So...WHAT IF we lose to BYU (surely not), lose to Chattanooga (Lord have mercy), and then get destroyed by Florida in the Swamp? Does anyone at all survive with an 0-4 start, and we’re suddenly facing the distinct previously unspeakable possibility of going completely, 100% winless in 2019?

*BTW, I hate the negative tone of my own post, and it’s not my nature to think this way...but after last week maybe it bears discussion...
Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

If JG is our best QB then yes it's possible but not likely. If JG performs like he did against Georgia State Saturday we are screwed. Routing for the guy but I just don't see much improvement from him. I think it's time to see Shrout or Maurer.

This is certainly as possible as a scenario like this has ever been regarding TN football. Lord have mercy if it happens, but I'm praying that it doesn't. All I can do is wait and see, because any speculation honestly depresses me at this point. I'm trying to move beyond my speculative phase and just take it as it comes lol.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I heard it. Again, the only thing keeping me from agreeing is the financial situation. I’m done believing we have people willing to pony up the buyout, and new coach money. If we did, it would have happened two hires ago and we wouldn’t be here now.

I hope you are right....I’ve thought he was a bad hire from the get-go. But UTAD doesn’t pull the ripcord that way.
I certainly don’t know, but perhaps Fulmer asking his buddies for the cash, as supposed to the previous AD’s, is more effective?

I certainly don’t know, but perhaps Fulmer asking his buddies for the cash, as supposed to the previous AD’s, is more effective?
Maybe....I really don't know about that. It’s never been that easy before.

I don’t post much, and have seldom, if ever created a thread, but then again I’ve never seen my beloved Vols where they are right now. Let it be clearly stated that I BELIEVE we will win this Saturday, but then again I absolutely thought we would have won last Saturday with no problems.

So...WHAT IF we lose to BYU (surely not), lose to Chattanooga (Lord have mercy), and then get destroyed by Florida in the Swamp? Does anyone at all survive with an 0-4 start, and we’re suddenly facing the distinct previously unspeakable possibility of going completely, 100% winless in 2019?

*BTW, I hate the negative tone of my own post, and it’s not my nature to think this way...but after last week maybe it bears discussion...
Sorry, but we’ll be 3-1 after Florida. #soon! Mullen will not beat Pruitt this time!👀💥☝️

I think the BYU game is a slippery slope scenario. If last week was an outlier and we win Saturday, especially convincingly, it can help right the ship and we could be OK (by today’s diminished VOL standards of 5,6,7 wins). If we look like last week and lose, I think we have the very real possibility of slipping into the dreaded pit of misery where any and every bad thing can happen. I’m hoping for a different Bug Orange Team this Saturday...
At this point, I'm gonna watch purely out of morbid curiosity. If we lose, you can only really laugh as the 20 year downward spiral would be complete and pretty much unprecedented. If we win, great.. maybe we'll win 4 or 5 games this season.

Last edited:
Let’s take the OP’s question one very possible step further. What if the current three game trend extends to four (as in the team doesn’t show up with any give a damn) and gets steam rolled again. What then? You folks still ready to ride with Pruitt?

Let’s take the OP’s question one very possible step further. What if the current three game trend extends to four (as in the team doesn’t show up with any give a damn) and gets steam rolled again. What then? You folks still ready to ride with Pruitt?
Nope!!!....I think Saturday night will make or break him!!

We can’t tolerate a 0-3 win season. He would have to be fired and it could happen with several games left on the schedule.

If he rebounds and by some miracle gets to 5 wins then what?

Do we even have the cash to buyout Pruitt and maybe even some or all of his staff? I don’t have a clue.

VN Store

Back