Marvel's Black Panther

The story is kinda typical? Not really. They blurred lines between villains and heroes. That's not typical at all for a comic book movie.
Captain America Civil War kinda broached that two years earlier.

I just mean it's typical for a comic book movie. Something over the top with some kind of twist somewhere. Not realistic or grounded in actual reality.

This movie wasn't celebrated because the story, acting, or special effects were something special. It's a typical Marvel movie. They all have good actors, great special effects, and some comic book level story. It was celebrated because it was a successful movie that featured a predominantly black cast and director.

Captain America Civil War kinda broached that two years earlier.

I just mean it's typical for a comic book movie. Something over the top with some kind of twist somewhere. Not realistic or grounded in actual reality.

This movie wasn't celebrated because the story, acting, or special effects were something special. It's a typical Marvel movie. They all have good actors, great special effects, and some comic book level story. It was celebrated because it was a successful movie that featured a predominantly black cast and director.

Not really. That was good guys vs good guys.

Complaining that it's nothing special because it has some kind of twist and it's not grounded in reality is just nitpicking.

I named 2 bad comic book movies that won Oscars, and I named 2 bad comic book movies that did as well as Black Panther. Black Panther was actually good. Maybe not the best movie ever, but the idea that it's all about the blackness is just ludicrous. How dumb would the conversation be if we were all talking about Age of Ultron and IM3 succeeding because of whiteness, yet the reverse of that **** flies around here.

It getting a Best Picture nomination is the only thing I took issue with, because I didn't think it was that good. Otherwise its Oscar wins and nominations weren't controversial at all. And one of the things people (rightly) complained about was the special effects/CGI and it didn't get a nomination for that.

Reactions: BenGrimm
It getting a Best Picture nomination is the only thing I took issue with, because I didn't think it was that good. Otherwise its Oscar wins and nominations weren't controversial at all. And one of the things people (rightly) complained about was the special effects/CGI and it didn't get a nomination for that.

This year the best picture field was super weak and they expanded recently. If it had always been 8-10 nominees, you'd have seen more comic book movies with nominations.

Not really. That was good guys vs good guys.

Complaining that it's nothing special because it has some kind of twist and it's not grounded in reality is just nitpicking.

I named 2 bad comic book movies that won Oscars, and I named 2 bad comic book movies that did as well as Black Panther. Black Panther was actually good. Maybe not the best movie ever, but the idea that it's all about the blackness is just ludicrous. How dumb would the conversation be if we were all talking about Age of Ultron and IM3 succeeding because of whiteness, yet the reverse of that **** flies around here.
I get that you enjoy being the devil's advocate in pretty much every topic, but this just seems like a weird stand to take.

For the most part as far as I can tell, when people talk about why this movie was good, it ain't because of the story/character arc/ect. With regards to movie stuff it's standard Marvel fare. It's an entertaining movie. It's good in those areas, but nothing special. It's "blackness" was put front and center and used as a selling point.

When you get bored google "why should black panther be celebrated" and peruse a few of the links.

Why ‘Black Panther’ Is a Defining Moment for Black America
Behind the Revolutionary Power of Black Panther
5 Reasons Why ‘Black Panther’ Is Expected to Dominate the Box Office
The glory of Wakanda: "Black Panther" has America celebrating Africa
Black Superheroes Matter: Why ‘Black Panther’ Is Revolutionary – Rolling Stone
Black Panther's Political Message Was Too Conservative for Its Revolutionary Title

I get that you enjoy being the devil's advocate in pretty much every topic, but this just seems like a weird stand to take.

For the most part as far as I can tell, when people talk about why this movie was good, it ain't because of the story/character arc/ect. They're talking about it's "blackness" as you suggest.

When you get bored google "why should black panther be celebrated" and peruse a few of the links.

Why ‘Black Panther’ Is a Defining Moment for Black America
Behind the Revolutionary Power of Black Panther
https://studybreaks.com/tvfilm/black-panther-2-2/
The glory of Wakanda: "Black Panther" has America celebrating Africa
Black Superheroes Matter: Why ‘Black Panther’ Is Revolutionary – Rolling Stone
Black Panther's Political Message Was Too Conservative for Its Revolutionary Title

You can cherry pick some articles to try and prove your narrative, but lots of people on VN have raved about this movie and I don't think anybody did it for its blackness. Coincidentally, many have complained about that aspect of the movie and reception...

Btw, it takes a total lack of a sense of irony to nitpick a popular movie about there being a twist, and then call me devil's advocate ; )

Reactions: NashVol11
It was a solid movie, but as we’ve all stated multiple times, vastly overrated.

It cracks me up that it’s won so many awards, more than any other MCU movie. We’re such a PC world these days. Other MCU movies have been far more deserving of a trophy case full of awards, but this one I guess made some kind of statement about black people/Africa, so it gets littered with awards, even though it’s mediocre at best.

In fairness it did have some spectacular costume design.

Did it deserve a Best Picture nod? No... but it didn’t when and wasn’t even really expected to win.

SIAP, but a lot of this was shot in Atlanta.

The museum that is robbed is the High Museum. and the projects where the uncle lived, seen at the start and the end, is Wheat Street Tower. Right next to the The King Center, and part of the Historic area. The tower is also a project my firm is helping remodel. No real exterior changes, besides a paint job and new windows. But we are excited and joking with the guy in charge how he liked working with Wakandans and if our redesign makes it into the second movie. I put the chances as slim to none, but its fun seeing some stuff I am familiar with in big time movies.

Almost all of the Marvel movies have been filmed in ATL.

This year the best picture field was super weak and they expanded recently. If it had always been 8-10 nominees, you'd have seen more comic book movies with nominations.

True. In the MCU I think Winter Solider might have gotten one and it would have been deserved. Possibly the first Iron Man too.

True. In the MCU I think Winter Solider might have gotten one and it would have been deserved. Possibly the first Iron Man too.
Outside of the two you mentioned, the rest are standard to below standard comic book flicks.
Cool thing about Winter Soldier, it didn't have to fall back on snark and silly comic relief to make up for the lack of plot and logic like the other MCU flicks.

Outside of the two you mentioned, the rest are standard to below standard comic book flicks.
Cool thing about Winter Soldier, it didn't have to fall back on snark and silly comic relief to make up for the lack of plot and logic like the other MCU flicks.
still a better love story than twilight

We get it. You don’t like Superhero movies

I'll tell you a 3rd time....move on.

I hate country music, you know what I don't do? Constantly piss and moan about how bad it is and make sure to tell everyone about how much I hate it.

Name one major award that it won that you find so controversial? I'll save you the trouble. It won MTV awards and then Oscars for score, costume, and production design. Maybe you could gripe about it winning a SAG for best ensemble cast, but I doubt anybody here knew who won any SAG's ever. BTW, Spiderman 2 won best visual effects. Suicide Squad won best makeup. It's a PC conspiracy!

The perception that Black Panther was well received because of its blackness is some dumb ****. It's the flip side of the same hypersensitive PC culture coin. There are plenty of movies filled with PC blackness that don't win awards and none of them have ever been box office smashes. You guys are complaining as if this movie played to a small crowd of Hollywood elitists. Almost everybody saw this movie, and almost everybody loved it.
Dude, it was nominated for best picture and screenplay. It’s not even in the top 15 of superhero films. Those were absolutely “token” gestures.

Dude, it was nominated for best picture and screenplay. It’s not even in the top 15 of superhero films. Those were absolutely “token” gestures.

Name the movies that got snubbed for best picture nominee and screenplay. Have you even thought about its competition? It was good writing. Probably best aspect of the movie. The assumption that it's "token" makes you worse than what you're suggesting about the academy.

Name the 15 better movies.

Remember when Return of the King WON best picture? ****ing token white people, right?

Last edited:
Name the movies that got snubbed for best picture nominee and screenplay. Have you even thought about its competition? It was good writing. Probably best aspect of the movie. The assumption that it's "token" makes you worse than what you're suggesting about the academy.

Remember when Return of the King WON best picture? ****ing token white people, right?
Avengers, Spider Man Homecoming and Into the Spiderverse all had better stories and thats just superhero movies.

Avengers, Spider Man Homecoming and Into the Spiderverse all had better stories and thats just superhero movies.

I haven't seen spider verse, but no to the others. It's a moot point because it WASN'T actually nominated for best screenplay.

Here’s 15 better superhero movies. I’m a superhero movie fan and was looking forward to this. It was unwatchable. There have been very few movies I’ve stopped watching because they were so bad.

The Dark Knight
Wolverine
Logan
Man of Steel
Wonder Woman
At least three of the X men movies
Iron Man
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Dr. Strange
Deadpool
Guardians
Superman The Movie

Here’s 15 better superhero movies. I’m a superhero movie fan and was looking forward to this. It was unwatchable. There have been very few movies I’ve stopped watching because they were so bad.

The Dark Knight
Wolverine
Logan
Man of Steel
Wonder Woman
At least three of the X men movies
Iron Man
The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
Dr. Strange

Deadpool
Guardians
Superman The Movie

Ridiculous

Ridiculous
Ok, you’re entitled to your subjective opinion. take those out and I’ll bet we can think of several more.
The fact is that there were around 10 on that list, that you agree, were better that didn’t get anywhere near the consideration.

VN Store

Back