Pruitt waiting until AFTER ESD to hire OC?

Your buddy Doug Matthews says Pruitt has his OC, the staff is not leaking any info to anyone and we all should relax.
To use logic with trying to decipher this is fruitless...but logic says that if he does have his guy, that they'd want to get him officially on the hook in writing, even if there's no announcement yet...for whatever reason, so there's no backing out and causing further embarrassment. If there is a contract of intent, I really find it hard to believe that no one on either side of the hiring fence (UT or current school) wouldn't have some sort of leaked information hit social media. Which leads me into "no clue" position with this hire. If someone's not lined up, then I'm really concerned...if they are, I don't know how you'd keep a lid on it (almost impossible).

...maybe not wanting to lose the locker room at your current job?

Seems like a pretty low risk considering we're talking an NFL team and professionally NFL people are used to people moving to other teams all the time.

Not to mention I find it pretty hard to believe that even if something isn't public, an NFL locker room would know something was up well before the public did.

Really? You really want to go against a guy that keeps everything close to the vest and non-emotional and makes it clear that you are being played?
apparently you don't know how auctions work..

While I win a low ball bid for a mint 1964 442 CJP is getting ready to pull the trigger on a Chevy Monza replica car..

This just reaffirms to me that Pruitt really doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing. Tyson Helton has been gone for 3 weeks, and Pruitt probably knew before that. Any coach worth a damn is gonna have a list of candidates at all times. This should have been a quick hire, new OC in the works, and on the recruiting trail. Now we are down one less recruiter in one of the most critical recruiting weeks of the year

I bet Pruitt & Fulmer had short lists, but their first five candidates said "NO" so where do you go from there??

O Line is in shambles. Q.B. is limited. Schedule of Bama, UGA & Florida every year might be intimidating to potential O.C's. Administration will give the money for a good staff but still don't support the football team in others ways that are not financial.

What quality O.C.,who is capable of other O.C. jobs, will come to U.T.? It will have to be an unproven O.C. who just wants a chance, like some position coach from a small school or someone who has been an O.C. before and wasn't successful.

Let's recall how long it took for Conzo to be hired. When I heard it was him and he was from Missouri State, I felt we hit the bottom. However; he had a solid program and even took us to the Sweet 16, he last year as coach. So, maybe if we hire a position coach or O.C. from a smaller school, we can still be successful.

From what my sources (2 players on the team) are telling me, we have offered several people so far and been turned down by all. The main two main reasons we’re getting turned down are concerns that the administration isn’t fully invested in the program and the weaknesses we have on the offensive line and to a lesser extent, at the QB position. All the OCs so far are afraid they are going to look bad with our roster and don’t know if they will be given the time needed for it to get turned around.
I'm not sure I buy this, but is plausible. To me, most all P5 coaches are like top level QB's who commit to top level schools without much thought of who is already on the roster...they all embrace competition and believe they'll come in and become the starter.

I think most coaches who are worth their salt are built the same way. They want to show the world they're better than everyone else. UT has facilities, backing, tradition, fanbase... if I were going for this position, I'd look at UT as a sleeping giant, just waiting for the right person. We've also shown that, w/ Fulmer and Pruitt, we're willing to pay top dollar. So, top dollar compensation and opportunity to put UT on the map is a great resume builder. Only caviat I see is possibility of lingering dysfunction above Fulmer...or if Pruitt has controlling mentality like CBJ did with Stoops. Don't really think either is true.

Makes sense that Pruitt is discussing who is turning us down with players though. Am I right or am I right?
Pruitt isn’t discussing it directly with the players obviously. These are just the rumors going around amongst the players on the team. Who knows if any of it is true....I am just telling you what I heard from these two players, not vouching for it’s accuracy.

Reactions: volfannbama
Players get their info the same place the fans do and that is from the media, head coaches don't share with players who has turned down a job or been given an offer. It just doesn't work that way. Now, they will be the first to know when it comes time to find out who the new OC is but not the innerworkings of the AD

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Players know: 1) who is turning us down, 2) inner working of administration and 3) the thought processes behind those who are saying no?
As I stated to the other poster who asked a similar question...I’m just telling you what I heard from two players on the team. I highly doubt they heard it directly from Pruitt. I don’t know if what they are saying is true but I thought it was interesting and just wanted to share what I’d heard. In some ways though, perception becomes reality. If the players feel like no decent OC wants to come here, they could start to lose faith in Pruitt and we could see more issues with guys not “buying in”. And it goes without saying that these types of rumors being prevalent, whether true or false, is not going to help us any on the recruiting front.

Is it frustrating to anyone else that there is this hush hush vibe over the whole thing like the whole fanbase are five year olds who can't handle the truth?

As I stated to the other poster who asked a similar question...I’m just telling you what I heard from two players on the team. I highly doubt they heard it directly from Pruitt. I don’t know if what they are saying is true but I thought it was interesting and just wanted to share what I’d heard. In some ways though, perception becomes reality. If the players feel like no decent OC wants to come here, they could start to lose faith in Pruitt and we could see more issues with guys not “buying in”. And it goes without saying that these types of rumors being prevalent, whether true or false, is not going to help us any on the recruiting front.

If it's true then CJP is in trouble, when players lose faith in a coach it is nearly impossible to get back especially when it is very likely to be another down season next year. Nothing is more damaging to a coach than to have players not "buy in". It doesn't matter how good of a teacher you are.

Reactions: C/O
Que sera sera. What will be will be. Fans may not like it, but they will have to live with it.
Let''s just hope we love it.

I've moved into the camp that thinks they know the fanbase won't like the hire and they don't want voltwitter going batshizcrazy right before ESD. There are only a couple of potential big hires left out there and they both have jobs and other suitors. I'm thinking NFL washout or promote from within.

It’s true like it or not
It's not worth debating someone who has their mind made up and has such a void of intelligence about a topic. If you don't think the wins against Auburn and Kentucky were partially BC of good coaching it's just simply not worth debating for either of us. I definitely will acknowledge we looked terrible against Vanderbilt and should have looked better; Missouri was an abysmal game but that was a horrid matchup for us anyways

L
From what my sources (2 players on the team) are telling me, we have offered several people so far and been turned down by all. The main two main reasons we’re getting turned down are concerns that the administration isn’t fully invested in the program and the weaknesses we have on the offensive line and to a lesser extent, at the QB position. All the OCs so far are afraid they are going to look bad with our roster and don’t know if they will be given the time needed for it to get turned around.
And by the way, the two players I know do read Volnation from time to time and listen to the local sports talk radio when major stuff is going on, such as this OC search. They said there is no way Doug Matthews is correct about us already having our guy. We are still interviewing people and they said once someone gets hired, the players usually always get word of it pretty quick. They think Fulmer or Pruitt is telling Matthews to claim we already have our guy just to try to get the fanbase to calm down. They said Pruitt is probably a tough guy to work for and he gets stressed out all the time...so panic mode has to be setting in at this point.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
If it's true then CJP is in trouble, when players lose faith in a coach it is nearly impossible to get back especially when it is very likely to be another down season next year. Nothing is more damaging to a coach than to have players not "buy in". It doesn't matter how good of a teacher you are.
Exactly. I really hope what these players are telling me is not true. But they do seem to firmly believe it. Then again, two players clearly don’t represent the whole team. These are just the only two guys on the team I am friends with. They do both play offense.

It's not worth debating someone who has their mind made up and has such a void of intelligence about a topic. If you don't think the wins against Auburn and Kentucky were partially BC of good coaching it's just simply not worth debating for either of us. I definitely will acknowledge we looked terrible against Vanderbilt and should have looked better; Missouri was an abysmal game but that was a horrid matchup for us anyways
Agreed, I think most of us can look at it several ways depending on which helps our thoughts regarding Pruitt and this team... I just can't rationalize that we won games against Kentucky and Auburn because of great coaching and then turn around and blame losses on depth.... were we not the same team for both? Coaches got out coached in Mizzou and Vandy Games, at least from my vantage point.

VN Store

Back