Herbstreit: "...it wouldn't shock me at all if this is Alabama's toughest test to this point."

He does have some kind of soft spot for Tennessee, not sure why. Perhaps because he lives in Nashville? He's been really complementary of JG this week, and I know he did have a big game, but it isn't some huge topic of conversation in the national media that covers CFB. When Tennessee is mentioned on GameDay, he calls for upsets more often than you'd think.

Maybe tired of catching heck from people in Nashville. I hope they are not giving his wife and kids heck.

Maybe tired of catching heck from people in Nashville. I hope they are not giving his wife and kids heck.
He moved to Nashville to get away from Ohio St fans. Not all of them per se, but there were some that just made his life miserable. Has said it himself numerous times.

Alabama really hasn't played anyone. Opposition defensives averages out at #88, and opposition pass efficient defense averages out at #106.

I would not be surprised by an Alabama blowout, but it could get interesting if Tennessee can shutdown the passing game a little. Tennessee's road has been much tougher... well, just about everyone's road has been tougher.

if Tua is still playing in the 4th qtr, yeah, sure, i'll call that a W.

but i don't see it. their offense puts way too much stress on their oppoents...on boht sides of the ball. and you just cannot make ANY defensive mistakes at all, otherwise, they probably score. and God forbid you turn it over or give them something cheap on special teams.

still think they win by 3 possessions. just stay healthy, and let's make a run in November.
My feelings exactly. Just come out of this game without any major injuries and the last five games are manageable. Need 3 out of 5.

Reactions: beamerman
Herbstreit is feelin TN lately. I think it will be closer than most think.

Herb is still on an apology tour with Tennessee after being a total hypocrite to Gaulden last year in an analysis that was dangerously close to having racial overtones. I put zero stock in what Herbie says.

Alabama really hasn't played anyone. Opposition defensives averages out at #88, and opposition pass efficient defense averages out at #106.

I would not be surprised by an Alabama blowout, but it could get interesting if Tennessee can shutdown the passing game a little. Tennessee's road has been much tougher... well, just about everyone's road has been tougher.
They've reached the point where that's gonna be true no matter who they play. Their ones face tougher competition each week in practice going against the twos than they ever face on gameday.

Herb is still on an apology tour with Tennessee after being a total hypocrite to Gaulden last year in an analysis that was dangerously close to having racial overtones. I put zero stock in what Herbie says.

Well, he vouched for Schiano. Must have been the same OSU vouching that OSU did for Zach Smith....

Reactions: VolNExile
I think it all comes down to if Tua plays or not. If he plays I'm not real sure we keep it close, is it possible? Yeah but realistically I don't see it. Now if Hurts plays I think we have a better chance, cause it's a totally different offense with him in there and not as good as one.

Reactions: beamerman
Not just lately. Herbie seems to have a soft spot for us. I remember him picking us to win the division in '06 despite the disaster the previous season. Off the top of my head, I know that he also picked us in '15 and '16 as well. I think it's safe to say that any criticism from him is, like many members of this site, due to his high expectations.

He was right in 06 and should have been right in 15 and 16 but it got botched Herbie knows his stuff. He annoyed me with Schiano crap but overall he is pretty good

Racial overtones? He evaluates college football for a living and has done so for about 25yrs. 80% of collegiate players are AA... I dont think there is an issue on that level

To his credit he later said he was wrong calling for Gaulden to be kicked off the team. I highly doubt race had anything to do with it.

It had "being harder on a less well-known player on a bad team" overtones. Baker Mayfield had done his nut grab a week or two before to much less condemnation.

Bama has won by
?? maybe 17

Closest final score was a 22 point margin, against A&M (45-23), though it wasn't that close in reality (A&M got a garbage-time TD in the 4th, or it would've ended 45-16).

As others have noted, every game has been pretty much over by halftime (Bama led A&M by 18 at the break).

So if we play them closer than anyone else this year, that can mean any or all of a few metrics:

1. Within two TDs at halftime ("still a game" ... or more of one than anyone else).
2. Still realistically open to a comeback at the start of the 4th Qtr (say, within 20 points).
3. Bama's (and Tennessee's) starters all still playing as the 4th Qtr begins.
4. Final score within 21 or fewer.

If we can achieve some or all of those, yeah, I'd call Herby right.

Doesn't mean we're going to win this game; slim chance of that (slim is better than none!). But sure, we can be their biggest challenge of the season so far.

Go Vols!

Racial overtones? He evaluates college football for a living and has done so for about 25yrs. 80% of collegiate players are AA... I dont think there is an issue on that level

He publicly condemned Gaulden for his double salute to the Bama fans and then publicly defended Mayfield for a crotch grab. I don’t know what’s in Herb’s heart, but in this day and time, he should’ve been much smarter than that.

Dpy9MR3XUAABpi3.jpg:large

via SEC Mike
Tenn needs several things to happen. 1=loud crowd 2= +3 in turnovers 3= over 150 in rushing 4= special teams touchdown 5= defensive score 6= no mistakes.!! Go vols

My hope is that we come out injury free for the final run for the season. Slow the game down to minimize the number of plays. The remaining games are winnable and we need all hands on deck. A fair to middling bowl invitation is possible. A strong finish will instill confidence for a great run next year. I want to beat the chickens, MO, KY gel, and commode doors aka Vandy Dandies in the worst way.

I hate bama worse than anyone else and more than the sum of the next five combined in the bammer hate quotient. That being said, for this game and this game only, I'll be happy if we are competitive and avoid injuries.

There is still a lot of football left after this game.

VN Store

Back