Back from Afghanistan

I'm pretty sure I'm suing Boeing for trademark infringement.

I was the first Massive Ordnance Penetrator and they stole my name.

I believe the original working name was Airburst Neutralize And Liquidate..but they ran into HR issues with that one...

Got back in the States a couple of days ago. Deployment got cut short by 3 months because of SFAB. Everyone came home in one piece and we only took contact with the Taliban a few times. Besides that, it went well and was better than I expected.

Thank you!:clapping:

Got back in the States a couple of days ago. Deployment got cut short by 3 months because of SFAB. Everyone came home in one piece and we only took contact with the Taliban a few times. Besides that, it went well and was better than I expected.

Glad you’re home safe!

We had attacks every week. One morning at 0530 I was doing a preflight and looked up and saw something with a plume of smoke coming from a mountain 7 miles away. It was a missle and flew over the base and exploded a couple of miles south of the runway. A-10’s took off with armament and came back with none. Killed those m’fkrs.

Yea so the amount of missiles and rocket the Taliban have now has been depleted. SF go out and ball up the arms dealers and EOD control dets anything they find. Whatever they are getting now are Russian and Chinese made 107mm rockets which they would fire once or twice a week at the base. but CRAM shot them down about 90% of the time.

Al Jabbar? Me too.

I spent 3 months at Jaber back in 2003 as we were closing it down. Cut my deployment from 9 to 3 months which was fine by me. I think they reopened it a few years ago.

We worked out of one of the bombed out shelters which was being used for storage while I was there. Weird place to be, especially at night.

Yea so the amount of missiles and rocket the Taliban have now has been depleted. SF go out and ball up the arms dealers and EOD control dets anything they find. Whatever they are getting now are Russian and Chinese made 107mm rockets which they would fire once or twice a week at the base. but CRAM shot them down about 90% of the time.
Good to hear C-RAM is working well

I spent 3 months at Jaber back in 2003 as we were closing it down. Cut my deployment from 9 to 3 months which was fine by me. I think they reopened it a few years ago.

We worked out of one of the bombed out shelters which was being used for storage while I was there. Weird place to be, especially at night.

They reopened it for the Iraq drawdown.

It was a mess according to a team we sent over.

Yeah, with mortar capabilities as well.

??? We have technology that can intercept mortars mid flight? Or is it a system that figures out where it was fired from and counter attacks?

Edit..just googled it. Super cool. Land version shoots down the mortars and rpgs or rockets with explosive rounds, then launches a drone with guns on it to go kill whoever fired the rocket or mortar, because the computer calculates where the round was fired from. Awesome tech, the navy article I read said they have a trailer towed version called Centurion that Israel has shown interest in. Bet that would be useful when Hezbollah starts lobbing rockets...just let it fire a drone to go kill em.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
??? We have technology that can intercept mortars mid flight? Or is it a system that figures out where it was fired from and counter attacks?

Edit..just googled it. Super cool. Land version shoots down the mortars and rpgs or rockets with explosive rounds, then launches a drone with guns on it to go kill whoever fired the rocket or mortar, because the computer calculates where the round was fired from. Awesome tech, the navy article I read said they have a trailer towed version called Centurion that Israel has shown interest in. Bet that would be useful when Hezbollah starts lobbing rockets...just let it fire a drone to go kill em.

Pretty sure we have both. CRAM is active shoot down. I believe we have an acoustic Counter Fires system that triangulates the tube thump to get eyes on target for ID and return fire.

CRAM is the repurposed Phalanx right? Interesting it’s doing that well in such a different RADAR background clutter environment. Nice job apparently on the detection sensor updates.

Any radar system produces something called a clear day map which allows the system to scan its environment and know what is stationary. So as the radar scans and gets returns from stationary objects its processing compares them to the clear day map and knows that those returns are stationary and ignores them.

I assume the C-RAM based on land has some sort of fixed array antenna that is near it or a small mobile x-band radar dish somewhere. Depending on the frequency its running in theory those things could detect objects the size of a bullet. Higher freq's = smaller range but more precise detection.

Any radar system produces something called a clear day map which allows the system to scan its environment and know what is stationary. So as the radar scans and gets returns from stationary objects its processing compares them to the clear day map and knows that those returns are stationary and ignores them.

I assume the C-RAM based on land has some sort of fixed array antenna that is near it or a small mobile x-band radar dish somewhere. Depending on the frequency its running in theory those things could detect objects the size of a bullet. Higher freq's = smaller range but more precise detection.

It is a stationary system. The land based version is anyway. Maybe that is the big enabler there. I assumed the clutter in land based or littoral would be tougher on it but being stationary even temporal differencing probably gives them a big heads up.

It is a stationary system. The land based version is anyway. Maybe that is the big enabler there. I assumed the clutter in land based or littoral would be tougher on it but being stationary even temporal differencing probably gives them a big heads up.

Clutter that I have seen in land based radars is often environmental. A heavy rainstorm can cause problems as RF can act funky when hitting rain. Smoke, and in the desert, dust, could be issues as well. But this system probably knows that any target not moving between X speed min and x speed max can be ignored. We have a radar in Orlando that detects aircraft landing, taxing, and objects on the runways (cars, trucks, etc). What it doesn't detect even though it can, are birds. And we got some big ass birds. It knows to ignore anything under a certain size and speed...and this thing is old. C-RAM is probably light years ahead of what I have.

I did not know that it could detect firing positions and send skynet drones to kill the enemy..awesome.

I did not know that it could detect firing positions and send skynet drones to kill the enemy..awesome.

I had no idea it could do that either. Kinda freaking scary frankly.

The small hostile drone threat defeat is making headway also. We already have a couple of small systems that have demonstrated accurate detect/engage/shootdown on quad copter class targets.

I had no idea it could do that either. Kinda freaking scary frankly.

The small hostile drone threat defeat is making headway also. We already have a couple of small systems that have demonstrated accurate detect/engage/shootdown on quad copter class targets.

Being able to detect where the shots come from is awesome. I always thought that would be cool tech to have when I served (98-06).

Being able to detect where the shots come from is awesome. I always thought that would be cool tech to have when I served (98-06).

That technology has been around for a bit. Pretty sure they had that around the surge.

Boomerang was the official name, no idea if it’s still called that or still in use.

Pretty sure we have both. CRAM is active shoot down. I believe we have an acoustic Counter Fires system that triangulates the tube thump to get eyes on target for ID and return fire.

Yea that’s how we found POO sites. But it harder when our ISR assets were down and the Taliban know this.

U.S. Officials Meet With Taliban Again as Trump Pushes Afghan Peace Process

meeting on Friday between the American diplomat, Zalmay Khalilzad, and the Taliban was the second that senior American officials have had with Taliban representatives in Qatar since the White House ordered direct talks this summer in the hopes of jump-starting the peace process. On Saturday, Mr. Khalilzad flew to Kabul to meet with the Afghan president, Ashraf Ghani.

The Taliban have long demanded that they meet with Americans directly instead of the Afghan government, which has made Afghan leaders wary of being sidelined. Western diplomats have described the Americans’ direct contact with the Taliban as “talks before talks” that could then grow into negotiations between the Taliban and the Afghan government.

VN Store

Back