Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vol Calls

Pruitt: We’ve had a good start to the week. We need to finish out the week. The game this week is why you come to Tennessee, to play in games like this.

Big thing staff has been working on is getting our guys to have the right mindset.

On JJ Peterson – big difference between training back home and training with coach Fitz. He’s working hard and coming along.

On the new redshirt rule - We’re trying to win every game so that’s our first concern. We’ll use anyone who can help us win.

First thing for the offensive line to improve on this week is no penalties. Second thing is no mental errors. The line is a unit of 5 guys so the longer these guys play together the better they will get.

Vol Navy has already started arriving.

Caller asks again about the offensive line – Pruitt says the guys are getting better. He likes our guys. Caller was asking about size – Pruitt said when you look at Jahmir beside Trey, Jahmir looks like he’s 14.

Caller asks about Pruitt’s impression of the Vol Walk

It’s one of the most impressive sights I’ve ever seen. You can see and feel the passion of this fanbase. I had told our guys they were going about it the wrong way if they were waiting for the Vol walk to get up for the game. I was wrong. You can feel it more than I ever imagined.

Mullen’s teams stress special teams. We need to find a way to create an edge for us in the kicking game Saturday. Our kickers have been solid. We had a muffed punt last week. We can’t do that this week.

On Jordan Allen – working hard, coming along, best football is ahead of him.

Has confidence in both quarterbacks.

Caller asks about putting pressure on Franks – They keep 7 guys in a lot to protect him. Most of the pressure stats people are talking about happened when they were playing from behind against Kentucky.

Very familiar with the staff at Florida. Says Franks is a really good athlete, he can run and he can throw it from here to that bridge over there. (Bob adds, “yeah, we saw that last year.”)
Do you think our OLine will attack pretty well against Florida? Pruitt says our guys have improved every week. Grantham’s defense presents some challenges but if our guys play together we’ll be fine.

Expectation is for us to be at our best this week. We’ve had good practices so far this week, we need to finish that off and I think we’ll play well on Saturday.

Florida’s defense schematically is similar to ours so our guys are more familiar with what to expect.

Caller calls in slamming our former bricklayer is very fired up for Pruitt being here and knows he’s going to have our guys ready to punch some gators in the mouth this weekend. The guy was really fired up. Pruitt said he might consider bringing the guy in to talk to our team on Friday night.

Caller asks about the transition from coordinator to head coach. Said he trusts the guys with the other units and still spends more focus coaching defense during the games but he’s in on Sunday nights starting out breaking down special teams films and goes through the whole game.

Bob asks about the Burnout factor. Working a lot of hours probably needs to do a better job of managing his hours as the season goes along.

Caller asks about attitude on defense. Pruitt says intangibles are incredibly important to earning respect on the football field.

Says wants the 98 guys to rub off on our guys. They set the standard for Tennessee football and we want them to influence our players. Want them to come around as often as they can.

Practice Thursday, walk thru Friday – ready to play on Saturday.

All the chills.

Related: got a wild hair and up and decided I was driving up from Baton Rouge to catch this game. What made it crazier was that I convinced my Pops to come with me. Planning on hitting up Calhoun’s to see @marker912 before. Y’all drop your tailgating spots so we can compare Baton Rouge / Knoxville tailgating :)

He, shy, Phillips, Gooden and bain have all looked pretty good. If Taylor and kongbo and the rest of them really, could just finish the play when the get to the qb instead of coming up just short every time the narrative would be a lot different.
I expect Frank's to get smacked a few times this game.

Quotes like these is why I miss Fulmer!..he would never just look at a Florida game like any other game,this S**t is serious around here every year act like it,let me see your urgency as a head football coach,the kids feed off of that
I’m probably gonna get Swansoned by several people but......

Fulmer made way too big a deal of the UF games and the team was always tight as a drum. Pruitt wants them to play loose it seems. I like it.

Thinking about driving up from Chatt for the game this weekend.

How would my chances be of getting a ticket at the stadium (not from a scalper)? Cheaper than a place like StubHub?

I’m probably gonna get Swansoned by several people but......

Fulmer made way too big a deal of the UF games and the team was always tight as a drum. Pruitt wants them to play loose it seems. I like it.
We were talking about that today. I don't think that Fulmer or the VOLS were intimidated by any team that they played (SEC or not) except for Florida. It wasn't just the team, it was the fans, too. Florida game determined the SEC East winner, and that put pressure on everyone.

All the chills.

Related: got a wild hair and up and decided I was driving up from Baton Rouge to catch this game. What made it crazier was that I convinced my Pops to come with me. Planning on hitting up Calhoun’s to see @marker912 before. Y’all drop your tailgating spots so we can compare Baton Rouge / Knoxville tailgating :)
I’ll be at Calhoun’s to tailgate too. Solid spot.

Reactions: Geaux_Vols
This will be my first game in about 4 years and I used to just go get hammered at tailgates but trying to find somewhere close to campus to eat around 12-1 on Saturday before starting to tailgate. Will somewhere like Calhoun’s already be too packed to get in and eat or does anyone have any other good suggestions on strip or old city?

Not sure why JS is so confident we can run it on an SEC caliber D line with ease.

I think we might have some success but their D line is going to whip our O line.

Probably because our run game isn't going to look as plain as it has the past couple of games....

Expect to see more sweeps, etc. We will probably have a lot of success on the ground to be honest.

Reactions: Sleegro
Second post you made that shows limited knowledge. Fulmer had his butt so tight that the team was tight and would not play well. We had some luck in the 98 game wit turnovers. Glad it happened but CPF was scared when Steve was on the opposite sideline.

Eh, maybe early on. But they didn’t play tight in 2000, even in a loss. Henry gashed them, but they just couldn’t get TD’s. In 2001, they gashed them again- one of the best rushing performances at UT. I was in school then, and I recall Will Ofenheusle leaving our class to head to the airport. He said they expected to win.

Reactions: RiotVol
Eh, maybe early on. But they didn’t play tight in 2000, even in a loss. Henry gashed them, but they just couldn’t get TD’s. In 2001, they gashed them again- one of the best rushing performances at UT. I was in school then, and I recall Will Ofenheusle leaving our class to head to the airport. He said they expected to win.
Phantom TDs were allowed in 2000 though

He’s manning his spot fine...I bolded that so you would understand but you typically act confused for the sake of your argument. 😉 It’s not an EXCUSE, it’s the reality of the situation. He isn’t sharp at LT as he wouldn’t be sharp at OG...he’s playing off the rust. The “playing badly” is your new narrative. You let know it all VN experts and the ones paid to pretend they are in recruiting dominate your thinking...that’s on you. Trey was the number one ranked player on ESPN. They never hand that out to interior linemen. They projected him as an elite LT until he committed to UT, then they scrambled to project him as an OG. If he had picked Bama or OSU as projected, they would have held pat. I’ve always stated that your best OL doesn’t have to play LT as long as there is somebody ADEQUATE to man the spot...we don’t have that option. That’s why he took over last season and was playing well. Leave him in place and he’ll excel there...he’s that good. He’s the Bruce Matthews or Larry Allen of our time. They both played OG but could have been All-Pros ANYWHERE on the line. That’s generational talent. So quit your contrived belly-aching and our coaches will play him where he’s NEEDED.

I agree with you Butchna. However, like I've said before I like him at guard. He is a monster in the middle. Like you pointed out, unless we have someone serviceable to play at LT it makes no sense to move him back to guard.

Reactions: butchna and SugarCC
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back