Murphy Brown 2.0

I don’t even remember the show, what’s all the hubbub about?
Starred Candice Bergden (sp?). Sit com about her life and career at a news station (?). She kinda became an anthem (unfairly, imo) for single women "having it all" without the need for a hubby/man.

Starred Candice Bergden (sp?). Sit com about her life and career at a news station (?). She kinda became an anthem (unfairly, imo) for single women "having it all" without the need for a hubby/man.
why unfairly?

Reactions: Pacer92

She played a similar role on Boston Legal (until the last season of the show)

why unfairly?
Because it is a sit com. I don't believe they intended to have social commentary. Nor do I believe they wanted to be a show for single women (mass appeal being more profitable than miss appeal).
I do think the producers latched onto the "controversy" to stimulate buzz, new viewers, and PR.

What did I forget to check back on, ND40?

A) I was mostly pulling your chain.
B) some random thread a while back you asked basically the same question and I responded and we never followed up. I didn’t even do a “bump for...” post. You crushed me. Crushed I say I was so hurt.

I’m mostly just yanking your chain thus the 😬 appended. No true faux outrage here.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
Murphy Brown's success was caused by the change in the dynamic of the role of women in our society, not the other way around. You can use it as an example, but honestly you can go back as far as Mary Tyler Moore to see the same thing.

Murphy Brown's success was caused by the change in the dynamic of the role of women in our society, not the other way around. You can use it as an example, but honestly you can go back as far as Mary Tyler Moore to see the same thing.
Her success was because it was well written and funny (at one time). Just like all successful comedies (including MTM).

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

I think if you want to chose an actual person as a female independence icon Mary Tyler Moore is a better example. Candice Bergen gets a bit of a nod but I think Mary Tyler Moore’s business success and the respect she garnered in a very male dominated industry says volumes. If anything Bergen was a beneficiary of Moore’s achievement.

VN Store

Back