Jalen Hurd on Baylor and leaving Tennessee...

You must not grasp what hate is or can be Behr. I have a very low tolerance for boorish and horrible behavior, like the poster child for that which Jalen Hurd became as a Vol football player. I don't wish or want the young man's future to be anything, I'm ambivalent about it, he's not associated with Vol football any longer, I care for him like I would any other unknown player at Baylor.

You need to get mature on what hate actually is and not glibly toss the term around where it does not apply.

You're not the only one here.

Reactions: 2 people
I will say if he gets decent QB play Jalen will have people's attention this season. He's a freak athlete. Glad we aren't playing Baylor.

I would have liked him better in a run-style offense for TN. His size would have been perfect for CJP's offense.

This. To me, it looked like Jalen was born to be a power back in an I formation...three steps behind the QB and taking the handout with a head of steam before crashing into the LOS. It made no sense to me at all to have him standing next to the QB and taking the handout with no running start and no lead blocker. Jones tried to force a square peg into a round hole...and, still, this guy would have walked away with the Tennessee rushing record.

How he left and the timing of it all...we will never know how this was handled. He knows it doesn't look good.

I wish this Tennessee kid the best. Hope he becomes the player he's working to be.

Now use the 2015 before he got seriously hurt and played the whole season. He averaged 4.6 yards per run and 4.7 in 2014.

He missed most of 2016.

Stop using skewed facts to make your point.

He averaged 4.7 2014.
4.6 in 2015
And 3.7 in 2016 when he could barely walk sometimes.

And outgrew means he was 6’4 in 2016. How many NFL backs you know of that are 6’4????

Lol??? “Barely walk sometimes”??? Talk about skewing facts to try and make a point. Where in the world is your proof that he could barely walk in 2016? Haha, you can’t make this stuff up......although you just did.

And btw, if you’re using his 4.6 and 4.7 yards per carry stats, which are well below average for a college running back in general, as “proof” that he was good at Tennessee, then you’re helping make his point.

Hurd was solid as a “3 yards and a cloud of dust guy” who could occasionally “bust” a 10-15 yard run. But he didn’t have the burst or the speed to be the elite college college running back we all thought we were getting coming out of HighSchool. And fact was that his best attributes were his blocking and his receiving abilities coming out of the backfield.

I hope he does well. Many here forget what it’s like to be 20 and your career is entirely in your own hands. Just wish he would have finished the season at UT.

It amazes me to see so much hate, for a kid that most don't think was that good anyway, just because he quit. :crazy:

I hope he succeeds.

It’s in no way hating on Hurd to accurately portray his performance and the type of player that he actually was at Tennessee. He was a good, solid running back who got us some tough yards at times and was actually better catching the ball than he was running the ball.....and he never should’ve gotten near the touches that he did in 2015 and 2016 with Kamara on the roster.

Reactions: 1 person
He's quit at both the Hs and college level. He has problems following through.

Tore the labrum in his shoulder playing safety in the nationally televised opening game of his senior season. “Quit”. VN’s a tough crowd.

Reactions: 4 people
Tee Martin had Hurd pegged correctly early it seems and he tagged the young man as "soft." Go down the history of Vol RBs and ask yourself how many young men went to the coaching staff at the time and asked them to run him differently so as to limit the hard hits? Curt Watson? Johnny Majors? Chuck Webb? Jamal Lewis? Reggie Cobb? Travis Henry? Alvin Kamara? To just toss a few names out there and I cannot recall any of them EVER going to the media or having their friends (which is even a factor of wussification hard for me to grasp) go for them to explain how hard thge hits are, and how tough it was, and how bruised and hurt he was after games??? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Hurd made his shiznit sandwich, took a giant bite of it, and then walked off, the epitome of a quitter. He has his txrd polishers and painters here on VN, polish and paint away, the underlying legacy of Jalen Hurd at UT is a shiznit sandwich of his own making. He's Baylor's issue now, let them manage whatever it is he has become as a football player.

Jamal Lewis has problems with short term memory loss and did an interview where he stated that he won’t let his kids play football because of the toll it took on him. By your definition...he’s a whiner.

This team should've lost to Appalachian State but Hurd won the game for Jones. Was whipped over and over in the 1st half against Virginia Tech and went on to have one of the worst defenses in history sans this past season and the Sal Serra era. Yet you talk as though Butch Jones was on the verge of greatness.

Where in the name of hell did you read any mention of Butch Jones in my post? I said "Tennessee will not return to winning championships recruiting players" like Hurd. And I stand by that. Players who put personal goals and ambitions above team performance don't win championships.

The entire 2016 team was a cluster from the start of spring practice (Players lead team) throughout the season. That was, is and forever be on Jones. But that team should have won the SEC East and been competitive with Bama.

But these are two completely different issues. There are young men who have aspirations for pro careers but also want to win and are willing to commit to it. Whoever the coach is better recruit players who has winning as a priority. Otherwise, it will be much of the same we've experienced the last 10 yrs.

he did what he thought was best for him...don't begrudge him for that at all...hope he has a great senior season...:thumbsup:

GO BIG ORANGE!

It’s in no way hating on Hurd to accurately portray his performance and the type of player that he actually was at Tennessee. He was a good, solid running back who got us some tough yards at times and was actually better catching the ball than he was running the ball.....and he never should’ve gotten near the touches that he did in 2015 and 2016 with Kamara on the roster.

This is funny coming from you KB. Let one ore two posters say anything negative about Phil or anyone else, that disagrees with your opinion and we get a two or three paragraph about all the hate being spewed towards them.

I'm sure that's different though.

But okay, I was wrong. No one is hating on Jalen. Every single post in this thread and all the other threads with his name or his mothers name, have simply been just normal criticism.

Reactions: 4 people
He probably should have chose TE. I just don’t see him being an elite WR. I could see him being a pretty good TE if he could take the hits along the line but that just may be too much for him. Maybe he could find a good flag football league.

Jamal Lewis has problems with short term memory loss and did an interview where he stated that he won’t let his kids play football because of the toll it took on him. By your definition...he’s a whiner.

Off the top rope!

The miles people walk in others shoes...

4.7 is not impressive for a college back.

He had a season's worth of carries in just seven games. For the sake of fairness, I only used the rankings of backs who had more than 100 carries. He was simply that terrible.

Barely walk?

He's the same height as Eddie George. Eddie did just fine.

Yo, who needs a good offensive line to look better than you really are. A good back can get his own yards.
-Signed
NFL scrub Trent Richardson

Hurd never had a carry longer than 49 yards. Routinely caught from behind and averaging anything less than 5 yds per carry at the college level is pedestrian. He was not that good. Period.

We can all agree John Kelly was a good back. Do we not think Kelly isn't any good because he probably got less the 100 total yards the last 5 games combined last year. We can admit that is awful. But look at that offensive line play - putrid.

The reality is Hurd faced the toughest teams on the Vols schedule. Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Virginia Tech...not the dregs of the schedule Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri and weak was water defenses like Texas A&M. Everybody knew he was getting the ball in Jones's predictable offense.

Hurd quit during a game. Butch and Company didn’t help the kid by allowing him to skip practices etc. Hurd has animosity towards Kamara. He should have probably left but wait until after the season. He cost us a couple games.

Butch quit during the year.

VN Store

Back