UF Spring Game

Exhibit A.

Have a great week butchna...I'll give you the courtesy of having the last word.

Gracias. You start a thread on my board and one day later I “magically” post on it. Bluetooth technology must have you consulting a shaman! :w00t:

Reactions: 1 person
Was Franks just not good/overhyped to begin with, damaged goods because he wasn't coached well, or what?

He was touted as a gifted athlete with a big arm, but raw. Coaching and development in high school was very limited.

When he struggled to light up the second teamers in last year's spring game, after redshirting, I should have seen the train wreck coming.

Watched the game on TV and my thoughts are:

Franks has a cannon for an arm and is capable if the throw is 30 + yards to an open receiver who can maneuver under it. He seems to struggle with changing plays at the line if the defense mixes it up beyond the packages he's prepared for. He can't thrown an effective shallow or out pattern.

Trask can move between receivers in sequence. He can make the efficient throw in that 5 to 10 yard window. He's probably going to be a bit of an interception machine, though. Its not that he doesn't see coverage - its that he underestimates how quick they are.

Jones has the greatest potential, by far, of the three. He throws 30 yard missiles. If he could get in synch with a couple of receivers and get to the point where they can anticipate one another, he could be better than Wuerffel at that aspect of the game just by sheer arm strength.

They will probably try to redshirt Jones. Trask and Franks will likely dual QB it with Trask a few games in getting pretty much the bulk of the playing time.

RBs are solid, and will have productive games. But, the offensive line remains tragically inept.

I coach a travel basketball team my daughter plays on and I was talking to an opposing coach this weekend before a game, he said "well we re not very good, how is your team looking?"

My response, "Well, we found the right gym."

:eek:lol:

I just think that any coach that can get Miss State to that level of play while Bama is in a historic run, Ole Miss was playing very well under Freeze, LSU and Auburn always have talent and A&M had Manziel and tons of great skill guys it’s pretty impressive. I think UF got their guy. Now hopefully we have ours as well and the Big 3 in the East can be competitive year in and year out with the West .

I would choose the other side, I am not discounting him as a coach I just believe that he may not be everything that Florida is looking for especially if he isn't winning the SEC East in a few years!

JMHO, the leash is short at Florida, much shorter if you aren't winning Championships!

You mean 3* recruit Dak Prescott who got offers LSU, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, North Texas and TCU?

As if Prescott was some can’t miss, 5* Tim Tebow/Deshaun Watson clone who required little to no coaching or development on Mullen’s part. :eek:lol:

No offense but does that make Kevin Sumlin qualified to coach at Florida? Manziel had perhaps the greatest season ever for a QB and he was a low 3 Star. Heck, Sumlin beat Bama.

No offense but does that make Kevin Sumlin qualified to coach at Florida? Manziel had perhaps the greatest season ever for a QB and he was a low 3 Star. Heck, Sumlin beat Bama.

No offense taken...

I was responding to the suggestion that Mullen inherited some superhuman talent in Prescott who didn’t require coaching up, when that wasn’t the case.

Regarding your Kevin Sumlin comparison, it’s a bad comparison. Mullen has a better track record of developing QBs than Sumlin, A&M was never ranked #1 under Sumlin, and Mullen has history with UF’s program that Sumlin doesn’t.

So while you could argue Sumlin is “qualified” to be our coach, Mullen was more qualified in my opinion.

No offense taken...

I was responding to the suggestion that Mullen inherited some superhuman talent in Prescott who didn’t require coaching up, when that wasn’t the case.

Regarding your Kevin Sumlin comparison, it’s a bad comparison. Mullen has a better track record of developing QBs than Sumlin, A&M was never ranked #1 under Sumlin, and Mullen has history with UF’s program that Sumlin doesn’t.

So while you could argue Sumlin is “qualified” to be our coach, Mullen was more qualified in my opinion.

I agree with you btw. I like Mullen and think he will do well at Florida.

I would choose the other side, I am not discounting him as a coach I just believe that he may not be everything that Florida is looking for especially if he isn't winning the SEC East in a few years!

JMHO, the leash is short at Florida, much shorter if you aren't winning Championships!

When in doubt, I'd take the guy that did more with less (Mullen) than the guy that did less with more (Sumlin).

Sumlin underachieved at A&M just as much as Butch did at Tennessee, maybe even more. I think it is telling that far and away Sumlin's best year was his first, which featured a Heisman winner he didn't even recruit and truly develop. His teams got worse the longer he stayed there, and he wasn't even able to keep on the team, much less develop, the 5-star QBs he did recruit.

Reactions: 2 people
relatively speaking, he did elevate MSU's recruiting. back during the search, i went back and checked out MSU's recruiting rankings. and i don't recall right off hand, so going from memory, they were a top 40-50 type program in recruiting the 3 years prior to Mullen, and they immediately moved in to the top 30, and i think wound up over the course of his tenure in the high 20's/low 30's....

nothing that should make anyone stand up and say "wow", but i do think it's a bit erroneous to say "never". i think he he broke in to the top 20 a couple times as well.

now why he never got better...it's all theory. could be he didn't like recruiting all that much, and he didn't really have to excel at it so long has he could go to bowl games and keep the natives happy. could be that it's just hard to sell Starkville over Baton Route, Tuscaloosa, Auburn etc....

either way, he's in another spot, where he really won't have to spend a lot of effort recruiting, b/c intrinsically will be able to get better athletes overall than he could at MSU.

the ? is will that be enough to keep the new natives happy? the expectations are wholly different.

i think Mullen goes from being a 7 win coach at MSU to a 9 win coach at UF. and i think it may have more to do with him being at UF, than UF getting him. i don't know how much Mullen 'elevates' UF. didn't know how much he'd elevate UT had he come here.

i think he's probably better than Mac and Butch. don't know how much better, and if it means all that much to the end result. i think in the end, he's in a better situation personally b/c of familiarity, in state recruiting and aside from GA, being in the East vs. the West.

2015 was his highest year at #18 according to 247. Otherwise, you are correct he stayed in the 25-40 range.

Which typically won't cut it in SEC play.

I think he's a great developer of talent and wrings the most out of the players he gets. However, he's now recruiting against a resurgent FSU, Miami and even smaller programs like UCF and FAU. Along with whatever other SEC team comes into town playing the recruiting games with the Florida high school talent. I question whether he can/will be able to recruit at a high level when I've just not seen it in the past.

In his defense, he seems to be able to motivate 3 star talent into getting the most out of them, so recruit rankings might be a moot point. However, the big question is whether or not UF and its fan base will give him the time to translate and develop that talent.

2015 was his highest year at #18 according to 247. Otherwise, you are correct he stayed in the 25-40 range.

Which typically won't cut it in SEC play.

I think he's a great developer of talent and wrings the most out of the players he gets. However, he's now recruiting against a resurgent FSU, Miami and even smaller programs like UCF and FAU. Along with whatever other SEC team comes into town playing the recruiting games with the Florida high school talent. I question whether he can/will be able to recruit at a high level when I've just not seen it in the past.

In his defense, he seems to be able to motivate 3 star talent into getting the most out of them, so recruit rankings might be a moot point. However, the big question is whether or not UF and its fan base will give him the time to translate and develop that talent.

Prior to Mullen, how many Top 15-20 recruiting classes did Mississippi State have that didn’t involve Jackie Sherrill cheating?

Prior to Mullen, how many Top 15-20 recruiting classes did Mississippi State have that didn’t involve Jackie Sherrill cheating?

I'm not sure where you're going with this...

No, they didn't have good classes. However, there was no reason that in the eight years he was at Moo State he never once cracked the top 15 with a recruiting class even after hitting that #1 ranking. I'll give he is a good in game coach and develops talent. But I don't know if he's every going to break through that 8-10 win barrier. Which is unacceptable at UF.

No, they didn't have good classes. However, there was no reason that in the eight years he was at Moo State he never once cracked the top 15 with a recruiting class even after hitting that #1 ranking. I'll give he is a good in game coach and develops talent. But I don't know if he's every going to break through that 8-10 win barrier. Which is unacceptable at UF.

This is what I think as well.

Your argument against Mullen is based on him not accomplishing something at Mississippi State that likely no other coach has ever accomplished there.

If you don’t think Mullen can pull top recruits to UF, that remains to be seen. I’m curious to know the answer too, and the jury is out.

If you think it’s possible to sustain Top 15 recruiting classes at Mississippi State year over year, then we should go ahead and agree to disagree.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back