*****Grant Williams named SEC Player of the Year

Grant Williams was probably one of the most “schemed for”/gameplanned for in the SEC and still had incredible stats. That is why stats can’t be the sole argument for player of the year.

Reactions: 2 people
Is Grant Williams the best player in the SEC? No. But he is the best player on the best team. Tennessee’s offense runs through Grant. Tennessee’s defense is dependent on Grant Williams. Coaches scheme to stop GW. Tennessee’s success is tied to Grant Williams. The other players are really good too. But the cog that drives this team is Grant. Coaches know their opponents. This time the COACHES got it right.

Reactions: 1 person
Grant may not be the SEC's leading scorer or rebounder, but he was the most schemes against player in the league and still found ways to be effective on a pretty consistent basis, whether it was scoring or opepning things up for teammates. There's a reason the coaches, the people who actually know the game and look at far more than stats, voted him POY.

Some truth to that but also some truth to the fact he choked when games were on the line. His team couldn't buy a close win and the SEC POTY has to take over when games are on the line. What did he do Saturday when the game was on the line? Wasn't it 0/9 the second half?

He did hit a 3 pointer.

................and just a few weeks ago GW wasn't even in the conversation on the SEC Network. I thought at the time I can't believe they didn't even mention his name.

I might add, the Admiral is one of the most well spoken people I've ever seen. I mean the guy could probably be elected president, but he's not dishonest enough for that.

Pretty sure, Dale Ellis won it once, as did the Wizard, Tony White

I looked it up. Here's the full list of SEC POY winners I found in the media guide.

SEC PLAYER OF THE YEAR
1967 Ron Widby (UPI, AP)
1972 Mike Edwards (UPI)
1975 Bernard King (UPI)
1976 Bernard King (UPI, AP)
1977 Ernie Grunfeld (UPI, AP)
Bernard King (AP)
1982 Dale Ellis (UPI, AP)
1983 Dale Ellis (AP)
1987 Tony White (UPI)
2003 Ron Slay (AP)
2007 Chris Lofton (AP)

Widby was the man! Edwards was smooth...money as Bert would say. Those were the days.

I looked it up. Here's the full list of SEC POY winners I found in the media guide.

SEC PLAYER OF THE YEAR
1967 Ron Widby (UPI, AP)
1972 Mike Edwards (UPI)
1975 Bernard King (UPI)
Bernard King (AP)
1983 Dale Ellis (AP)
1987 Tony White (UPI)
2003 Ron Slay (AP)
2007 Chris Lofton (AP)

Yes, I forgot Edwards, Ellis, and White.

Congrats, Grant Williams!

Your SEC Player of the Year award is a well-earned honor.

All that hard work keeps paying off as it should!

Reactions: 3 people

SEC PLAYER OF THE YEAR
1967 Ron Widby (UPI, AP)
1972 Mike Edwards (UPI)
1975 Bernard King (UPI)
Bernard King (AP)
1983 Dale Ellis (AP)
1987 Tony White (UPI)
2003 Ron Slay (AP)
2007 Chris Lofton (AP)

Kinda surprised Allan Houston didn't make the list

Auburn program/players maybe getting less votes from SEC coaches because they know the program cheated? I don't know.

100% positive this is not the case at all. Maybe have given a slight edge to Barnes in COY votes at most.

The Auburn players made what they deserved (for the most part cough cough Heron cough). Brown had some big struggles down the stretch which knocked him down to 2nd team. Harper making 2nd was right where he should have been IMO (though one couldmake an argument for 1st team). Heron was awfully snubbed, but you’re always gonna have that happen to someone on some team.

And lmao at your apparently factual statement that Auburn cheated. Would love to hear the proof.

Big congrats to Williams, Barnes, Admiral, and Turner on their awards. 100% deserving each of them.

100% positive this is not the case at all. Maybe have given a slight edge to Barnes in COY votes at most.

The Auburn players made what they deserved (for the most part cough cough Heron cough). Brown had some big struggles down the stretch which knocked him down to 2nd team. Harper making 2nd was right where he should have been IMO (though one couldmake an argument for 1st team). Heron was awfully snubbed, but you’re always gonna have that happen to someone on some team.

And lmao at your apparently factual statement that Auburn cheated. Would love to hear the proof.

Big congrats to Williams, Barnes, Admiral, and Turner on their awards. 100% deserving each of them.

The other coaches dislike Bruce Pearl. Fact.

Kinda surprised Allan Houston didn't make the list

Houston had the numbers and talent, but I'm sure the teams he was on didn't win enough. Btw, I didn't realize Ellis won it twice, very impressive. Bernard King impressive. I think Ellis might have been consensus 1st all-American, too. Kinda surprised Dyron Nix didn't win it, I know he led the SEC in rebounding his junior year and in scoring his senior year. Once again, his senior year team probably didn't win enough, when he was 1st in scoring and top 3 in rebounding

Maten: PPG 1st, FG% 7th, FGM 2nd, RPG 2nd, rebounds 2nd, total OR 107, total DR 158, blocks 8th

Williams: PPG 11th, FG% 5th, FGM 5th, RPG 17th, rebounds 18th, total OR 59, total DR 115, blocks 9th

As I said, these are individual awards. It's not Most Valuable, it's the best player individually. That's Maten.

Not according to SEC coaches. :ermm:

The only argument I have for Grant winning is looking at mediocre NBA teams and how they always have someone putting up huge numbers that doesn’t make the all NBA teams because it’s easier to put up big numbers on horrible teams.

Happy for Grant

VN Store

Back