Coach.......stop the Insanity

When Pat started coaching at Tennessee she had to wash the players uniforms and take the girls to the games in her station wagon. Kentucky tried to hire Pat but would not pay her 75 dollars moving expanses so she stayed at Tennessee. Now we are running a two million dollars a year deficit. Holly going to make 660.00 next year. We will just have to wait and see what Phil will do with Holly. Tennessee will have at least 5 young ladies that can play the guard position next year, nothing I've ever seen at Tennessee. Anastasia Hayes, Evina Westbrook, Meme Jackson, Zarielle Green, and Jazmine Massengill. We will miss Mercedes Russell and Jaime Nared. Will have Cheridene Green, Kasiyahna Kushkituah, Kamera Harris, Rae Burrell, and Amira Collins to choose from to replace them with. Rennia Davis could be the star of the team. As always go Lady Vol's.

Reactions: 2 people
USCe and MSU may not be as good next season. So she could survive by having more talent than anybody else. Not hard to do in women's basketball. The new measurement is winning the SEC, not winning NC's. Those days are gone as long as she is there.

I think that the predictions for the demise of SC and MSST next season are premature, if only because Tennessee is losing an awful lot from their roster this year. If SC's Harrigan continues to play like she has the last few weeks, I'd pick SC to win the SEC. They fix their main issue with lack of guard scoring with the return of Cuevas and addition of Cooper and Henderson. MSST will still have McCowan, and enough experience and other pieces to surround her that they will still be towards the top of the SEC.

Tennessee will have a very young, inexperienced team without dominant size and with Holly Warlick as a coach. I think next season has the potential to get real ugly quick.

Reactions: 4 people
Please do yourself and the Lady Vol's a favor and retire graciously.
The job fell into you lap. No one can blame you for taking it. But you can be blamed for taking the Program to all time lows.
Retire, fund raise, ride that Harley and enjoy life. Let some one else attempt to get this thing fixed.
You have given your ALL. Let it go. To do otherwise would be insane.

Amen!

Reactions: 1 person
Oh Hell, here we go again.

"Here we go again" Enemy of the truth! I always ask this question, "if one doesn't know how to tell the truth the way it is, how do u raise ur own kids? Do u lie to them to make them happy when they're doing horrible?

Program all time lows ... Time for a history lesson. This should be good, hope I don't lose any of ya!

Tennessee Lady Vol Basketball didn't really start until 1960.
So what did Lady Vol basketball look like? I'm sure just undefeated seasons right?
Sadly no, the program started out at a all time low. Please quote me on this. :)
Joan Cronan was the first coach in 1960 and went 8–10 over two seasons before being replaced by Margaret Hutson, who coached for four years with a 60–18 record.

Then the world changed when Pat Summitt came. The rest is history. But I must point out it wasn't SEC championships and National Champions in her first 8 years. In the 1974–1975 season, Pat Summitt took over a 25–2 Lady Vols team. In her opening season, the Lady Vols won the TCWSF Eastern District Championship for the third straight year. (Coach Summitt's first though) However, the team finished only 4th overall in the TCWSF (they had been 2nd the previous two years), and were not invited to the AIAW Women's Basketball Tournament. After finishing 16–11 her second season, Head directed two 20-win teams, winning back-to-back AIAW Region-II championships. 1978 included the Lady Vols defeating 3-time AIAW champion Delta State by 20, and Tennessee's first number one ranking.1978 saw the Lady Vols participate in their first AIAW Final Four, where they finished 3rd. Summitt ended the 1970s by winning the first ever SEC tournament, and returning to the Final Four, where they finished runner-up to Old Dominion, 68–53.

So, Pat Summitt didn't win an SEC until 1980 ... in her 6th year.

Let's talk National Championships ....
Coach Summitt didn't when her first national championship until 1987 .... whoa!
Yes that's right, you heard it hear first (I say first because most of you seem to not know this) I'm not good at math so someone help me ... Coach Summitt didn't win her first National Championship until 1987, and she started coaching the 74-75' season ... you do the math!

Well ... Let's talk about Coach of the Year .. I mean come on this is Pat Summit!!!!
Welp, that award didn't come until 1983. (Please hold all gasp until the end)

I know facts don't sit well with most of you but try and stay with me.

Now let's talk about the dreaded awful, how could she ever, Holly Warlick!!! (I know most of you are yelling with your pitch forks at this moment but please, show some restraint)

Like Coach Pat Summitt, Warlick took over a team that was some what successful team. So Warlick, like coach Summitt, had some good stuff to work with. So naturally, Warlick in her first season finished 1st the SEC and made it to the elite 8 in the tournament.
Then, after her first year she was awarded the Maggie Dixon Award, which is awarded to the coach with the best performance in their rookie year as a head coach. (I can't believe it either, how could they? Don't they know?)

Warlick is in the final piece of her 6 year as head coach. In these 6 years, she hasn't complied a losing record ever, finished every season 20+ wins, 3 elite 8's, and two other ncaa tournaments as sweet 16 and 2nd round exits.

So ... back to the "all time lows" - thinking about just the facts. Warlick isn't anywhere near taking the lady vols to all time lows. She would have to have 2 losing back to back seasons to even have that idea considered. I understand that most of you on here still have your pitch forks ready to poke people and your fire lanterns ready to burn something but I would hold off on that for a bit.

History does state that Coach Summitt made it to her first final four in her 3rd year, (granted only 16 teams were allowed to play, regardless, it's still a wonderful accomplishment) But Coach Summitt didn't win her first national championship until 13 years of coaching.

Does Coach Holly Warlick not get that same amount of time and respect that Coach Summitt got?

If we followed the logic that most of you are using - Coach Pat Summitt should of been fired because it took her 13 years to win a national championship. I'm probably crazy for saying this but I just think that we need to put the pitch forks away and blow out the fire.

I agree; you ARE crazy for saying this. Remember, before Pat Summitt nobody really cared about women's basketball.. All anybody heard about was the men's team and football. We knew we has a track team, because we had a track. We knew we had a swim team because we has an aquatic center. But unless somebody qualified for the olympics, these were nameless athletes. And so were the Lady Vols players before Pat.

Pat built a brand from practically nothing. Now, it should be a national icon IF Holly did the things to make the Lady Vols a feared presence when the national tournament starts. Trying to give Holly the same consideration Pat got means she starts over from scratch. Her teams play in the alumni gym, and her players have to ask people they have a class with to come to games. (No kidding, that happened.)

Now, if Holly wants to coach a women's motocross team, yeah we will take our sweet ass time about starting a following and giving a damn about it. But if you follow a Pat Summitt, you need to either get things right or get the Hell outta the way. You don't let it fade to something we tell bedtime stories about to little kids who think, "You're lying, Grandpa. I've seen the Lady Vols. No way they were ever that good."

The AD can choose not to extend her contract and she will have one more season and it will be over. When Fulmer extends her contract at the end of the season guess we can all shut up and move on about Holly. I agree she should not coach anymore but since none of us are in a position of power to do anything about it guess we'll live with the AD's decision.

Maybe Fulmer will hire the womens coach at Louisville.

I will resist the temptation to answer the same post everyone is responding to..... Pat was amazing... and one of a kind... of that there is no question.... so many great things came from her.... one of the best things I respect about her is that she took a program that was essentially dormant and brought it to the pinnacle.... that is emblematic of a stellar job.... Auriemma has done the same at UConn Scott Rueck ditto at Oregon State... only several years ago he was unable to attract players to fill his roster so he advertised in the campus paper.So much respect for that.... and yes certainly Holly was given an elite program. So the comparison of how many years to hit benchmarks vs Pat is way out of whack.

I will resist the temptation to answer the same post everyone is responding to..... Pat was amazing... and one of a kind... of that there is no question.... so many great things came from her.... one of the best things I respect about her is that she took a program that was essentially dormant and brought it to the pinnacle.... that is emblematic of a stellar job.... Auriemma has done the same at UConn Scott Rueck ditto at Oregon State... only several years ago he was unable to attract players to fill his roster so he advertised in the campus paper.So much respect for that.... and yes certainly Holly was given an elite program. So the comparison of how many years to hit benchmarks vs Pat is way out of whack.

Holly was not given an ELITE program. Holly was handed an above average program. Pat's teams after 2008 were not close to elite.

Reactions: 4 people
Typical response from the "We don't care about being elite again...cuz having a winning record is just fine with us" camp.

You don’t know what I do or don’t care about. You don’t know a damn thing about me. My response was to a comment that was basically saying someone’s post would only be logical to second graders i.e. bashing the poster because they didn’t agree with the “fahr Holly” narrative. People have a right to their opinion but you get called stupid on here if you don’t jump on the “fahr Holly” bandwagon.

Last edited:
Holly was not given an ELITE program. Holly was handed an above average program. Pat's teams after 2008 were not close to elite.

You are delusional. Holly inherited a team that was top 2 in name recognition and prestige for recruiting, the largest fanbase, the richest history, a roster full of five star players, one of the top recruiting classes, and more.

It's laughable that you want to compare her situation to what Dawn, Vic or Jeff have done with much less. No one in their right mind would believe otherwise.

Reactions: 5 people
Tennessee is much like Duke and North Carolina. Both used to be top 5 each year and priorities have shifted in each AD. Now they are both top 25 material, but both have been passed by the likes of Louisville, Baylor, Notre Dame. Virginia Old Dominion and La Tech were elite in the 80s and early 90s, but are all now an afterthought in the game. Recruits now werent even alive when these programs were relevant. If a change doesn't happen soon, our beloved Lady Vols will be in the same boat... or should I say sinking ship?

Same ol’ same ol’. Another year of mediocrity, delusional “fans” hiding behind a meaningless overall record, while we continue the downward trend to irrelevancy and non-competitiveness against the best teams. “Next year”, “super recruiting class”, blah blah blah. As was said roughly this time last year, a year from now we will be in exactly the same place. No doubt she gives her all. But it’s never going to happen and we’re squandering the prestige CPS brought to the program.

Reactions: 3 people
It's time folks, we need a plan... Barnes shows what a difference real coaching makes... Phil needs to go back-channel and find a replacement for Holly, and then give her an option to retire or be fired... her contract's up in 13 mos, so it's up to her if she wants to go gracefully or make it messy for just a year's pay.

Program all time lows ... Time for a history lesson. This should be good, hope I don't lose any of ya!

So what did Lady Vol basketball look like? I'm sure just undefeated seasons right?
Sadly no, the program started out at a all time low. Please quote me on this. :)
Joan Cronan was the first coach in 1960 and went 8–10 over two seasons before being replaced by Margaret Hutson, who coached for four years with a 60–18 record.

Then the world changed when Pat Summitt came. The rest is history. But I must point out it wasn't SEC championships and National Champions in her first 8 years. In the 1974–1975 season, Pat Summitt took over a 25–2 Lady Vols team. In her opening season, the Lady Vols won the TCWSF Eastern District Championship for the third straight year. (Coach Summitt's first though) However, the team finished only 4th overall in the TCWSF (they had been 2nd the previous two years), and were not invited to the AIAW Women's Basketball Tournament. After finishing 16–11 her second season, Head directed two 20-win teams, winning back-to-back AIAW Region-II championships. 1978 included the Lady Vols defeating 3-time AIAW champion Delta State by 20, and Tennessee's first number one ranking.1978 saw the Lady Vols participate in their first AIAW Final Four, where they finished 3rd. Summitt ended the 1970s by winning the first ever SEC tournament, and returning to the Final Four, where they finished runner-up to Old Dominion, 68–53.

Yes that's right, you heard it hear first (I say first because most of you seem to not know this) I'm not good at math so someone help me ... Coach Summitt didn't win her first National Championship until 1987, and she started coaching the 74-75' season ... you do the math!

Well ... Let's talk about Coach of the Year .. I mean come on this is Pat Summit!!!!

Now let's talk about the dreaded awful, how could she ever, Holly Warlick!!! (I know most of you are yelling with your pitch forks at this moment but please, show some restraint)

Like Coach Pat Summitt, Warlick took over a team that was some what successful team. So Warlick, like coach Summitt, had some good stuff to work with. So naturally, Warlick in her first season finished 1st the SEC and made it to the elite 8 in the tournament.
Then, after her first year she was awarded the Maggie Dixon Award, which is awarded to the coach with the best performance in their rookie year as a head coach. (I can't believe it either, how could they? Don't they know?)

Warlick is in the final piece of her 6 year as head coach. In these 6 years, she hasn't complied a losing record ever, finished every season 20+ wins, 3 elite 8's, and two other ncaa tournaments as sweet 16 and 2nd round exits.

So ... back to the "all time lows" - thinking about just the facts. Warlick isn't anywhere near taking the lady vols to all time lows. She would have to have 2 losing back to back seasons to even have that idea considered. I understand that most of you on here still have your pitch forks ready to poke people and your fire lanterns ready to burn something but I would hold off on that for a bit.

History does state that Coach Summitt made it to her first final four in her 3rd year, (granted only 16 teams were allowed to play, regardless, it's still a wonderful accomplishment) But Coach Summitt didn't win her first national championship until 13 years of coaching.

Does Coach Holly Warlick not get that same amount of time and respect that Coach Summitt got?

If we followed the logic that most of you are using - Coach Pat Summitt should of been fired because it took her 13 years to win a national championship. I'm probably crazy for saying this but I just think that we need to put the pitch forks away and blow out the fire.

Nice try but apples and oranges....Pat did not inherit these facilities, fans and 8 Mac All American including the #1 ranked player on the roster. If she had there would be 6 more banners hanging in TBA.

Reactions: 3 people
You are delusional. Holly inherited a team that was top 2 in name recognition and prestige for recruiting, the largest fanbase, the richest history, a roster full of five star players, one of the top recruiting classes, and more.

It's laughable that you want to compare her situation to what Dawn, Vic or Jeff have done with much less. No one in their right mind would believe otherwise.

101% correct!

Did Pat have over 20 five stars to work with her first 6 years? You really can’t compare the two because Holly has had more advantages and talent to work with in her first 6 years. She threw a donut in 2015, which was simply ridiculous. She usually has a good defense plan but a suspect offense plan. She does not manage her timeouts or really the development of her players. Most of the time she is out coached. What do we do keep on throwing more 5 stars at the problem, increase Holly’s salary and cross our fingers that things automatically workout? If she has not shown any signs of being a top ten coach in 6 years, it is suspect that Holly will reach that plateau in the next 6 years. It reaches a point when you have to realize that what you have is not working with the talent you have.

VN Store

Back