Recruiting Forum Football Talk LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great hire.

Amazing staff.

I also, after reading about him, like the Fitz hire.

Glad Johnson will be in tonight to see the WR croots in town.

Boom!

Reactions: 1 person
My buddy, who is a former Memphis player, is going to be disappointed that Johnson was hired. He was Memphis' best recruiter, and they had to play some of the freshmen he recruited. He said his family had grown to love Memphis. When I said that we could almost double his salary, my buddy said, "well then it will be tough to turn that down."

I like Mike Leach, but I wouldn't have liked the hire. It's insane that so many Vols fans were on board with that hypothetical.. He fits in the Big XII or Pac, not in the SEC. And the first time we lose to an FCS school (which he did twice in a row at WSU, and not in his first two years on campus), I don't wanna hear it.

He was infinitely better than the other two main options we were having forced down our throats at the time, a little context helps understand why some of us felt that way. On the other hand, how it turned out is definitely infinitely better than Leach and I think most all of the Leach hire supporters would agree.

Reactions: 2 people
There was a big stink when a D3 school coached by Hal Mumme got their satellite camp canceled. From what a remember, he had blocked out-of-state P5 schools from camps and for the most part the high school coaches didn't care too much. But when he blocked a D3 camp they got pissed because those recruits don't overlap and they saw that as a move that might impair some of their players from going to college.

Ah yes, that was it. Pretty ****ty thing to do. Some of the lower level recruits who won’t go D-1 need that exposure and coach O took that exposure from them. High school coaches had a right to be angry.

He was infinitely better than the other two main options we were having forced down our throats at the time, a little context helps understand why some of us felt that way. On the other hand, how it turned out is definitely infinitely better than Leach and I think most all of the Leach hire supporters would agree.

Thanks Gill for putting this in the context that was missing. I was one for Leach only because like you said, he the better of the other coaches that we thought we could have ended up with. Am I happy we got Pruitt instead of Leach, HECK YEAH!

Reactions: 3 people

I agree with all this and like Pruitt a lot more. He probably should have been the first option. But man I love leach. He may have failed here but he's a good coach and his team's are fun to watch. Plus his press conferences. Hahaha. I've heard some stories about him out here in Texas and he's supposedly just a really down to earth good guy. Despite his pirate nature. Haha

I like Mike Leach, but I wouldn't have liked the hire. It's insane that so many Vols fans were on board with that hypothetical.. He fits in the Big XII or Pac, not in the SEC. And the first time we lose to an FCS school (which he did twice in a row at WSU, and not in his first two years on campus), I don't wanna hear it.

You have to remember where we were at by then. Doeren “turned us down” but if he had a Twitter account and typed his name, he saw the welcoming he had in store for him. To go from that to Leach was the giantest of leaps! If Currie had interviewed and offered Leach after Brohm, he’d still be writing letters to the fans. Our recruiting and coaching staff would be nowhere close in quality, but the media would be hailing us. I like the trade.

I remember the coaching search and the context of Mike Leach, trust me.

Just because his name is trotted out with Doeren and Schiano, it didn't elevate Leach in my eyes. Sure, better record, but you still have to be blind if you can't see the contradiction of styles/identities between Leach and Tennessee. I guess that's desperation :/

It's nice to see us taking coaches from successful programs. Coaches that make sense and have a proven track record.

We had a couple of those under Butch, but also a ton of us trying to understand why coaches like Mike Canales were a good idea.

One area that Butch seemed to fail at was surrounding himself with big personalities that brought their own ideas to the table. He wanted guys that would follow his lead and coach his way. Which is fine at some programs. Especially small ones where you're giving a lot of young coaches their first opportunity and letting them get their foot in the door. But at this level of college football it gets you beat. You need a room full of smart, strong willed, experienced coaches who can all put their heads together to figure out how to beat Alabama. You can't attract coaches like that unless you give them a voice.

Super excited about what we could accomplish under this staff.

I remember the coaching search and the context of Mike Leach, trust me.

Just because his name is trotted out with Doeren and Schiano, it didn't elevate Leach in my eyes. Sure, better record, but you still have to be blind if you can't see the contradiction of styles/identities between Leach and Tennessee. I guess that's desperation :/

It did elevate him in mine..he does some things very well. The other ones don't.

Ah yes, that was it. Pretty ****ty thing to do. Some of the lower level recruits who won’t go D-1 need that exposure and coach O took that exposure from them. High school coaches had a right to be angry.

Ed Orgeron is a complete idiot. That ship is sinking fast down there IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back