Recruiting Forum Football Talk LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just doesn't sound right to me. Sure players have issues with one another and some have preferences for starting QBs but they typically put those things aside. JJ is such a competitor that I just can't picture him refusing to catch a pass from JG. It sounds like gossip but the kind of gossip that covers up something else -- like maybe JJ walking out because he hated Jones and being lied to.

Hell, he was injured most of the year and everyone knew Dormady was going to be the starter in game 1. The story they're telling just doesn't smell right to me.

Maybe JG took Jennings mom out for a nice seafood dinner..and never called her back? 😉

Seriously though..who knows? Maybe just a alpha clash turned them against each other? I know we sure didn't have coaches with balls big enough to put a stop to it.

Reactions: 1 person
I forget the details but I do remember last year he did in fact piss off a lot of Louisiana high school coaches. Not positive, but I think some of it had to do with pressure he put on some high schools to cancel college satellite camps from out of state.

There was a big stink when a D3 school coached by Hal Mumme got their satellite camp canceled. From what a remember, he had blocked out-of-state P5 schools from camps and for the most part the high school coaches didn't care too much. But when he blocked a D3 camp they got pissed because those recruits don't overlap and they saw that as a move that might impair some of their players from going to college.

tennessee head coach jeremy pruitt has completed his on-the-field coaching staff.

Saturday, pruitt completed his staff with the hiring memphis receivers coach david johnson.

Johnson has been at memphis the last two seasons. Prior to that johnson spent from 2012-2015 at tulane where he coached running backs and tight ends.

Johnson began his coaching career at millsaps college in jackson, miss. In 2005. Johnson left there and was the head coach at st. Augustine high school in new orleans for three seasons.

Johnson will be in knoxville late saturday night and will help in tennessee's weekend recruiting efforts then will hit the road for the vols on monday.

Tennessee has three receivers in town this weekend for official visits.

- vq

Reactions: 8 people
I like Mike Leach, but I wouldn't have liked the hire. It's insane that so many Vols fans were on board with that hypothetical.. He fits in the Big XII or Pac, not in the SEC. And the first time we lose to an FCS school (which he did twice in a row at WSU, and not in his first two years on campus), I don't wanna hear it.

Reactions: 3 people
I like Mike Leach, but I wouldn't have liked the hire. It's insane that so many Vols fans were on board with that hypothetical.. He fits in the Big XII or Pac, not in the SEC. And the first time we lose to an FCS school (which he did twice in a row at WSU, and not in his first two years on campus), I don't wanna hear it.

He sounded great to me after we had been turned down by 25 other coaches. But cooler heads prevailed in the end. I agree he wouldn’t have been a fit here.

Pruitt seems like a perfect fit. Inexperienced, but a perfect fit otherwise. Can’t wait to see what he accomplishes.

Reactions: 2 people
2018 Tennessee football staff

HEAD COACH
Jeremy Pruitt
OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR/QUARTERBACKS
Tyson Helton
RUNNING BACKS
Robert Gillespie
OFFENSIVE LINE
Will Friend
WIDE RECEIVERS
David Johnson
TIGHT ENDS
Brian Niedemyer
CO-DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR
Kevin Scherrer
DEFENSIVE LINE
Tracy Rocker
CO-COORDINATOR/OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
Chris Rumph
CORNERBACKS
Terry Fair
SAFETIES/SPECIAL TEAMS COORDINATOR
Charles Kelly
STRENGTH & CONDITIONING COORDINATOR
Craig Fitzgerald
DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL
Drew Hughes
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Todd Watson

- Best Staff in America

Reactions: 10 people

I think a lot of fans were alright with it because the other choices were so bad. Schiano, Doeren, etc.

Obviously we ended up with just about the best case scenario in Pruitt. Championship pedigree, elite recruiter, elite defenses at 3 top schools, & connections to the south that few coaches could rival.

The coach I am so happy for and I know must be sooo excited about being on this unbelievable staff and thats coach Gillespie. SO happy that he got to stay. The guy does an excellent job with our RB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back