College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

7-4 for Missouri
4-5 for NCST

with only half the season being played that’s a pretty big disparity imo

Yeah when you aren't looking at what teams are involved in creating those numbers.

Missouri being ranked ahead of NCST isn't what bothers me about it. It's that they are waaaay ahead of them and they should be ranked about the same to me.

7-4 for Missouri
4-5 for NCST

with only half the season being played that’s a pretty big disparity imo

Another pretty big disparity is top 50 record....

1-2 Missouri
3-3 NCST

Drilling down further.....

NCST three losses came away from home. 2 away and 1 neutral. NCST's 3 wins were all 3 top 25. 1 of those was at a neutral site and the other two wins at home over teams ranked 1 and 6.

Yeah when you aren't looking at what teams are involved in creating those numbers.

Missouri being ranked ahead of NCST isn't what bothers me about it. It's that they are waaaay ahead of them and they should be ranked about the same to me.

The home loss to a sub 100 team is killing NCST, that’s a huge part of it...now if you wanna argue that home/away/neutral shouldn’t matter that’s fine, but it does and that’s a big part of it.

You get more credit for winning away/neutral/home and losses count more for home/neutral/away.

Another pretty big disparity is top 50 record....

1-2 Missouri
3-3 NCST

Drilling down further.....

NCST three losses came away from home. 2 away and 1 neutral. NCST's 3 wins were all 3 top 25. 1 of those was at a neutral site and the other two wins at home over teams ranked 1 and 6.

Again, you can’t dismiss games against teams 75-150, which is essentially what you’re doing.

Should Tennessee’s wins at Wake Forest, at Georgia Tech and neutral site against NC State not count?

The home loss to a sub 100 team is killing NCST, that’s a huge part of it...now if you wanna argue that home/away/neutral shouldn’t matter that’s fine, but it does and that’s a big part of it.

You get more credit for winning away/neutral/home and losses count more for home/neutral/away.

Yeah I get all that. I just think these two teams should be pretty close and they are not.

10 of NC State’s 11 wins have come at home

7 of Missouri’s 11 wins have come at home, 2 on a neutral court and 2 on the road

Again, you can’t dismiss games against teams 75-150, which is essentially what you’re doing.

Should Tennessee’s wins at Wake Forest, at Georgia Tech and neutral site against NC State not count?

Uh, no I'm not. (I do kinda do that for 150-351 or whatever the end number is. Those are all the same to me. Only matter if you lose them. Doesn't matter where)

I just took your top 150 wins record that you were saying was a big disparity and looked at the top 50 only. Then I compared those even further. Pretty big disparity there. More than evens things out in my book.

A win over a team ranked 150 isn't the same as beating Duke.

Again, I'm not asking how formulas work.

10 of NC State’s 11 wins have come at home

7 of Missouri’s 11 wins have come at home, 2 on a neutral court and 2 on the road

This is why UT should get a bump if they are in a group of equal teams. 5 road/neutral wins, all against P5 teams. I expect that to get close to 8-9 by the end of the year.

Nc State...Record:12-5 RPI:77 SOS:130
Missouri...Record: 11-4 RPI:27 SOS:23

So very simply their SOS is crap which in turn is dragging down their RPI, so picking apart the SOS formula is likely where the issue here lies.

Yep. Too much emphasis on placing a different weight on Robert Morris vs Charleston southern.

This is why UT should get a bump if they are in a group of equal teams. 5 road/neutral wins, all against P5 teams. I expect that to get close to 8-9 by the end of the year.

Yup, basically every metric I have seen is very favorable for Tennessee...it’s why I have thought 18-12 would be good enough to get them in, hopefully they surpass that mark though.

Yep. Too much emphasis on placing a different weight on Robert Morris vs Charleston southern.

Maybe a little, but NC State scheduled too many 280+ teams. It makes a difference. That's why Barnes said they tried to schedule buy games with teams that they thought would win their conference. Difference is Lipscomb instead of Bryant. Lipscomb is at 55. Should UT lose to Lipscomb?

Also, the RPI factors home versus road wins, so a team with the same record and schedule but more road wins will have a higher RPI.

Missouri didn’t play Robert Morris

I know. I was just listing them as a team around the 150 mark.

Wagner vs Charleston Southern.

In my book all those teams are the same. They are a sack of potatoes. Reach in the bag, pull one out and it looks just like the other one you just put back in there.

I know. I was just listing them as a team around the 150 mark.

Wagner vs Charleston Southern.

In my book all those teams are the same. They are a sack of potatoes. Reach in the bag, pull one out and it looks just like the other one you just put back in there.

I gotcha...so you’re basically saying categorize it 1-50, 51-100, 101-150...and then everything else count the same??

Yes. I know. And whoever did their scheduling is a moron.

It’s why I don’t feel bad for them at all...I’m surprised you of all people have this take (it’s not a knock) because Pearl was a master at manipulating the RPI. Even this year 12/16 of Auburn’s games are against 100+RPI teams, but non currently against 300+ RPI steams.

I gotcha...so you’re basically saying categorize it 1-50, 51-100, 101-150...and then everything else count the same??

Yeah pretty much. I would have to study it more to decide where exactly I would put those cutoffs. But pretty much that's how I view it.

And outside that last one I would only put a lot of weight into consideration if you lose one. But the wins against a team ranked 201 and a team ranked 351 shouldn't have a significantly different weight in my book.

Reactions: 1 person
It’s why I don’t feel bad for them at all...I’m surprised you of all people have this take (it’s not a knock) because Pearl was a master at manipulating the RPI. Even this year 12/16 of Auburn’s games are against 100+RPI teams, but non currently against 300+ RPI steams.

Yeah I don't feel bad for them. Terrible job scheduling.

Yeah pretty much. I would have to study it more to decide where exactly I would put those cutoffs. But pretty much that's how I view it.

And outside that last one I would only put a lot of weight into consideration if you lose one. But the wins against a team ranked 201 and a team ranked 351 shouldn't have a significantly different weight in my book.

My issue with that philosophy is that imo beating Georgia Tech at their place should not be considered the same as beating Presbyterian in our own building.

I could see...

1-50
51-100
101-150
151-200
200+

Last edited:

VN Store

Back