Retread University

The slide is Fulmer's fault. Literally EVERY defense of him just points points back to his good days and conveniently overlooks or deflects blame away from him during his last 4-6 years.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm speaking as a Vol fan from the Millennial generation. ... We are the future and we are a special generation who has arrived at just the right time to move this country and the world in a better direction based on our vision for the future.

A thoughtful, well stated position. I have to say, though, that it seems to apply only to hipster microbreweries, coffee shops and food trucks. I have been to hipster microbreweries, coffee shops and food trucks, and I was not impressed.

Reactions: 2 people
That "slide" is as good or better then any era in school history...except for the once in a program success that was the 90's. Blame? The blame is Hamilton. First Schumaker. Blame the guy that gave you the most success ever? Nope.

In the 2000's, they played in 3 SECCG's in 8 years. They had more All Americans then any other decade. More draft picks then most schools. They produced more future NFL Hall of Famers then this school had previously. Averaging about 9 wins per year in many years that had an 11 game schedule. Went against Florida and Alabama and LSU that was having as much or more success then they ever did. Not to mention Auburn. Tennessee is not in the same league as those programs. Only the 90's would be the exception. Get in where you fit in as a program. It is not at the top. Never has and with the exception of Fulmer, never will again.

You must have fallen asleep after the SECCG in 2001 and then woke up in 2008. You have some outright fabrications in there too.

Everyday I am thankful for VN and some of its posters. They allow me the opportunity to be amazed each and every time I visit the site..

An honest to god VFL like Fulmer gets ran down and his loyalty questioned by some folks. He is THE definition of Vol For Life.

A guy that risked a very lucrative NFL career to play one more year at UT gets made fun of by some here. All because he may or may not have supported or didn't support their most hated it most loved coach.

A guy that has little coaching experience at the college level gets more love than either of the first two. A guy eho didn't attend school here and has only tenuous ties to the university ( he married a former UT cheerleader) has dyed-in-the-wool followers who really think he's going to coach here. Worse than just thinking that, they WANT him to coach here.

A guy that embarrassed the football team, pissed in UT traditions and treated this program like a whore, is more highly though if by some on VN than the first two. A guy who has had two opportunities at Poeer 5 programs and failed at both...

If that isn't amazing I don't know what is.

What's amazing is people on here can't tell the coaches who WINS from those that don't. Yeah, there are the Fulmerites who bow down to him & kiss his ring among other things but those people are blind followers. They're the same ones who don't blame him for the downfall of the program which he, Fulmer, caused--he did, not anyone else, because he neglected the program and sat back on his rear. I guess the only way Kiffin can get Phil to look at him is for Kiffin to buy a Krispy Kreme franchise.

First of all, those usually doing the firing anywhere are knuckleheads. So being fired alone is not a reason to immediately think negative.

Retread?? OK. But many cases, the things that work just work. It is ok to do things that work. Anything else is usually a gamble. Saban is 66. Fulmer is 67. If age is a negative, then can Saban.

We really do not care what excites you. The greatest era in UT history excited and excites everyone. The recent era was a travesty.

Just take your corn hole game and go to someone else's tailgate. See ya!!

The point of age is you don't hire an old coach for a turnaround job in most cases. They simply ar ent going to be there long enough to secure the job, commits, and coaches. Your true fan argument is weak, as we are all true fans that have very different opinions of what works and what doesn't.

P.S. I highly recommended this book to all millennials.

Amazon.com: In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies (Collins Business Essentials) eBook: Thomas J. Peters, Robert H., Jr. Waterman: Kindle Store

Some of it is a little outdated, but the basic principles still apply.

I'm not a millennial, but I find it extremely ridiculous to blame them for everything. You so8nd just like the baby boomers blaming gen x for their failures. After all...who raises each generation? That's right..we do. If they fail, it's on us.

I'm speaking as a Vol fan from the Millennial generation. My generation is tired of old white retreads making all of the decisions regarding coaching hires, coaching firings, financial decisions etc. We need a youth movement in all areas of our athletic administration from the BOT down to the waterboy on the team. We are a generation that is used to expressing our valuable opinions on social media and effecting change with those opinions. We do not like or appreciate top down, authoritative decision making from out of touch old white men when it has a huge effect on the world we live in. We as a generation understand the times better than those over age 45 and it is high time that we are given our due in the decision making on the Hill. Not only here but across this country in all areas of social, political, financial and religious areas of society. We are the future and we are a special generation who has arrived at just the right time to move this country and the world in a better direction based on our vision for the future.

I posted this in another thread. It's time to let the younger generation take the lead in this. We are Retread U with Fulmer and now possibly Miles. We need both an under forty coach and AD and administration for that matter. The future is now for the Millennial generation and we should be given the reins for the good of the school and athletic department.

Other than your racist remarks at "white" people, I agree with most of what you stated, by the same token most of these old people have earned their way into those positions through hard work and gained the experience that you do not have and have not been "given" everything. Although I have great reservations with Fulmer doing a good job here, I sincerely hope he makes a great decision on getting this program back on track. However, I'm not going to "take a knee" on this program because I don't get my way. And YOU, need to get to the back of the line. When you have EARNED something other than a loud mouth then maybe someone would recognize your accomplishments and give you a seat at the table based on merit, not your perceived social injustice.

Reactions: 4 people
Ok so this will rub people the wrong way but I’m looking for some decent feedback. First, Fulmer doesn’t excite me at all - in fact, it’s the opposite. It feels old and stale. In addition, what little “insider” info I have on him isn’t good (this was from when he was fired). He’s power hungry and always has been in my opinion (which means Gruden is out for all the Grudenites). Regardless, he hasn’t been involved in college football in a decade, no one hired him after he was fired, and now he’s rumored to be looking at Les Miles - who also went unhired after being fired (and LSU seems to be doing fine without him).

So what I’m asking is - why does hiring retreads that didn’t get hired by anyone else feel exciting? Because Fulmer bleeds orange? I bleed orange and I have no business near an AD office or football field.

I fear Fulmer is on a power run to get back everyone that “wronged” him when he was fired. That’s the wrong motivation. He has no attachment to younger coaches or fan bases. In the end, he doesn’t excite me and neither does Les Miles.

It feels like Retread University.
Phil was done dirty behind the scenes on his firing. Second he didn't want to coach anywhere else but TN and he had grandchildren born so decided to spend time with family and friends. Bought a motorcycle etc.. enjoyed life is what Phil has been doing last 9 years. He's given his entire life to Tennessee and can't stand to see the shape it's in. The younger generation more than likely will not understand this as the older ones will. I'm very excited to have Phil as AD. And whomever he chooses I will support without issue as we all need to so we can get behind our University so we can get back to tradition that is the University of Tennessee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm not a millennial, but I find it extremely ridiculous to blame them for everything. You so8nd just like the baby boomers blaming gen x for their failures. After all...who raises each generation? That's right..we do. If they fail, it's on us.

Not blaming anything on anybody, and tend to agree that the previous generations since the Greatest, inclding mine, haven't necessarily done a bangup job. All I'm trying to point out is that not all old school ways are automatically wrong. And that Fulmer is who we need at this particular moment in time.

It matters in this context. Did we get there "because of" the coaching staff or "in spite of" that coaching staff?

Here’s a way to look at it. We got out played badly that year by Florida. We outplayed Georgia that year badly. Happens with every team every year. Sometimes you can overcome it, sometimes you can’t. Almost every super bowl champion in the history of the nfl at some point needed another team to lose, to put them in position. There’s no asterisks on those trophies.

Coach Fulmer to AD feels alot like Bob Woodruff and Doug Dickey to AD. Familiar faces that had gone elsewhere or been out of the loop and asked back to fix things on the Hill. Many forget that Fulmer was the president of the coaches association back in the day. He is way more connected as any jackleg pencil pushing sports management major that's been leading us into the desert for the last 15 years. It would have been much easier for him to hold a grudge and turn his back on his university 10 years ago. He's always referenced UT as 'We and 'Us'. Think Hamilton, Hart or Currie will? I trust Coach Fulmer implicitly with making me proud of my alma mater once again.

I don't know how Fulmer will be as AD but I'll take him any day over another one of Haslam's stooges, or another Bama or UF grad who we seem to always have running the athletic dept or university.

Alright this is fair. Maybe we’re not at a place where exciting is possible. We’re at a place of finding some semblance of stability (which I think will be a bit of mediocrity for a while) but then that stability may bring the framework for great coaches in the future. I get this argument - don’t like it - but I get it.

Tee will be HC at UT. Just a matter of time when. It’s prob unfair to throw him in there right now anyway. There is gonna be turbulence for awhile.

I still don’t understand the logic behind giving complete control of the program to the same guy that was fired a decade earlier. Should’ve hired Blackburn, then brought Phil in as a special advisor. It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Maybe he shouldn't have been fired in the first place!

Miles might be a solid fit under the current circumstances. He's not a long term solution. Can't see him here more than 3-5 at the most. Big question will be what kind of staff can he put together. I can see him and Fulmer working well together. I'm expecting it to go down this way.

Why cant more people understand this? If Miles was hired he is nothing more than a stop gap and mentor. Help to stabilize the program where its more attractive for the next coach.

Coach Fulmer to AD feels alot like Bob Woodruff and Doug Dickey to AD. Familiar faces that had gone elsewhere or been out of the loop and asked back to fix things on the Hill. Many forget that Fulmer was the president of the coaches association back in the day. He is way more connected as any jackleg pencil pushing sports management major that's been leading us into the desert for the last 15 years. It would have been much easier for him to hold a grudge and turn his back on his university 10 years ago. He's always referenced UT as 'We and 'Us'. Think Hamilton, Hart or Currie will? I trust Coach Fulmer implicitly with making me proud of my alma mater once again.

True and well said. I personally dont think Fulmer is going to be AD that long. Not because of his abilities or anything. I just think he will be here for a couple, maybe 3 years to right the ship. Then UT will hire a more long term AD.

I’m still amazed at the amount of hate for Phil. He played here, coached here, and came back to help even after he was treated like crap on his way out.

Treated like crap? I wish someone would fire my sorry a$$ and line my pockets with millions on the way out. He's got reasons to love UT, millions of them.

Why cant more people understand this? If Miles was hired he is nothing more than a stop gap and mentor. Help to stabilize the program where its more attractive for the next coach.

That's what Butch Jones was suppose to be. That failed horribly.

Ok so this will rub people the wrong way but I’m looking for some decent feedback. First, Fulmer doesn’t excite me at all - in fact, it’s the opposite. It feels old and stale. In addition, what little “insider” info I have on him isn’t good (this was from when he was fired). He’s power hungry and always has been in my opinion (which means Gruden is out for all the Grudenites). Regardless, he hasn’t been involved in college football in a decade, no one hired him after he was fired, and now he’s rumored to be looking at Les Miles - who also went unhired after being fired (and LSU seems to be doing fine without him).

So what I’m asking is - why does hiring retreads that didn’t get hired by anyone else feel exciting? Because Fulmer bleeds orange? I bleed orange and I have no business near an AD office or football field.

I fear Fulmer is on a power run to get back everyone that “wronged” him when he was fired. That’s the wrong motivation. He has no attachment to younger coaches or fan bases. In the end, he doesn’t excite me and neither does Les Miles.

It feels like Retread University.

Quit reading at old and stale. Felt good and secure to me

Not blaming anything on anybody, and tend to agree that the previous generations since the Greatest, inclding mine, haven't necessarily done a bangup job. All I'm trying to point out is that not all old school ways are automatically wrong. And that Fulmer is who we need at this particular moment in time.

I think he's an excellent stabilizing figure. I just don't think he's an excellent decision maker in the hiring process. He will look for friends and former vols as qualities over winners.

VN Store

Back