• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Mike Houston??? All over twitter that this could be the next HC

he can be the quarterbacks coach, MAYBE

He’s not coming to be any coordinator or QB coach or any of the like. He will not be the coach at JM next year either, he is on HC lists, at the FBS level. Probably top candidate at Ga Southern.

He’s not coming to be any coordinator or QB coach or any of the like. He will not be the coach at JM next year either, he is on HC lists, at the FBS level. Probably top candidate at Ga Southern.

He may be on list's, but being a P5 OC could triple his pay. It is conceivable.

I never heard of this man until today and indeed he may have the opportunity to be a P5 coach some day.

It is interesting that he is one year older than Dan Mullen who has 11 years or so of SEC experience with 8 as a head coach. In addition Mullen was the right hand man of Urban Meyer on his way up.

I do not know if Mullen would be interested in the UT job and his buyout, etc. would not be cheap but Mullen has 5,000% better credentials than Mike Houston.

Not knocking this candidate from JMU and he may end up being as good as the Vols can do for this cycle of coaching musical chairs.

On December 26, 2016, Mullen made SEC history when he became the first football coach in conference history to win a bowl game and still finish with a losing record on the season; Mississippi State finished the season with a 6–7 mark.

Maybe to you Mullen is the next coming. He had 1"great" season out of 9. And, didn't even win his division. Let alone the conference. Finished the season with a winning conference record. ONCE! I just don't understand the Mullen love fest? I'd rather a big winner from a lower level. Than a wildly mediocre coach from the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly. Remember that guy who used to be at Kent State who has found his way to Alabama?

Yeah, but that was a process - coaching stop by coaching stop.

Even a novice AD couldn't be this stupid. We've tried to scale up the last two coaches from C-USA and AAC - didn't work. Only a fool would think of dipping lower and trying it all over again; still we have Currie (a Hamilton/Hart type successor) ...

The most troubling aspect is that people consider twitter a news source ... or fail to recognize that most rumors like most lottery numbers are worth absolutely nothing.

No friggin way we hire a coach from JM. The fan base will revolt and I suspect the students will too.

lmao after the Derek Dooley hire some of you still believe we wouldnt do this? As far as I'm concerned this guy is more accomplished than Dools. Yall member Tressel right? mind you he had FBS experience plus 15 years experience as a HC on top of that...but he dominated at OSU. Art Briles basically went straight to the FBS level after dominating the HS level in Texas. Gus Malzahn took some years to get a FBS HC gig after his HS stint but again there is precedent for big time colleges doing this, particularly with Jim Tressel.

I think this guy is prob headed straight up to the FBS, just dont think its going to be at Tennessee. maybe a lower tier school like Kent st or Toledo will get him.

You can “pass” all you want but this is exactly the type of hire our university makes. You better get use to it because this is the type of guy we’re going to get. Our only hope for championships is that we stumble into someone great.

Besides the rah-rah cookie-cutter speech, my biggest concern would be that he is 46 and hasn't sniffed even a coordinator job in FBS. Looking at the resumes of most of the recent successful national championship coaches (Saban, Swinney, Fisher, Meyer, Stoops, etc) they have all been recognized as the "cream" of their profession and risen to the top jobs at earlier ages. Maybe Houston just didn't have the same connections as the other coaches, but- yikes!-- this would be a bet-the-farm-on-Black-13 type of gamble.

Reactions: 1 person
All of you that feel the need to announce that you "will be done" with UT if they make the wrong hire. Do you plan on calling a press conference or will the announcements you make on this forum suffice?

Here's a tip. If you feel that way, just leave. It's a little bit of a drama queen move to feel the need to announce it. Not a good look.:)

Reactions: 3 people
If this cat turns out to be the hire how many of you "true Vols fans" will be fawning over this guy.

What hat does he wear, where can I find that warm up he's sporting. Great watch, I have to have one of those.
hahah.
I can see it now, fans sporting the New t shirt slogan, Houston We Don't Have A problem.

Super Bowl coach vs DII championship coach. I’ll take the Super Bowl

Lame comparison. Outside the superbowl, his NFL gig is barely .500, if .500.

Give me the guy who has current championships and a track record he can point too. Gruden is just a talking head and would suck as a coach again. If he's so dang good, why has he been in the booth for 10 years. No one wants him.

Reactions: 2 people
All of you that feel the need to announce that you "will be done" with UT if they make the wrong hire. Do you plan on calling a press conference or will the announcements you make on this forum suffice?

Here's a tip. If you feel that way, just leave. It's a little bit of a drama queen move to feel the need to announce it. Not a good look.:)

lol

VN Store

Back