Mike Houston??? All over twitter that this could be the next HC

Since you don't know much about coaches, let me help you out.

Championships
FCS National Championship (2016)
CAA (2016)
SoCon (2015)
3× South Atlantic (2011–2013)
Awards
SoCon Coach of the Year: 2015
SAC Coach of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013
AFCA Region I Coach of the Year: 2015, 2016
AFCA National FCS Coach of the Year: 2016
CAA Coach of the Year: 2016
ECAC Bob Ford FCS Coach of the Year: 2016

2011 Lenoir–Rhyne 7–3 6–1 T–1st
2012 Lenoir–Rhyne 9–3 6–1 1st L NCAA Division II Second Round 20
2013 Lenoir–Rhyne 13–2 7–0 1st L NCAA Division II Championship 2
Lenoir–Rhyne: 29–8 19–2
The Citadel Bulldogs (Southern Conference) (2014–2015)
2014 The Citadel 5–7 3–4 5th
2015 The Citadel 9–4 6–1 1st L FCS Playoffs Second Round 15
The Citadel: 14–11 9–5
James Madison Dukes (Colonial Athletic Association) (2016–present)
2016 James Madison 14–1 8–0 1st W FCS National Championship 1
2017 James Madison 8–0 5–0
James Madison: 22–1 13–0
Total: 65–20

Like you knew all this before visiting Wikipedia.

Reactions: 5 people
Ya'll bout right. Another up & comer, for about $350/yr. Saving us money for Neyland improvements. He could be a home run, then he might not be. Is it worth the gamble after what we have been thru? We need a big name hire to bring fans back. Please tell me this is a name being floated around just to get our thoughts. I mean no disrespect to Coach Houston. He's done well. We're can't afford another coin toss. Being last in the SEC means excess PeptoBismol in my house.

This would be a giant middle finger to our fanbase.

Would not freaking surprise me to see UT’s Administration screw this hire up again.

Reactions: 2 people
Since you don't know much about coaches, let me help you out.

Championships
FCS National Championship (2016)
CAA (2016)
SoCon (2015)
3× South Atlantic (2011–2013)
Awards
SoCon Coach of the Year: 2015
SAC Coach of the Year: 2011, 2012, 2013
AFCA Region I Coach of the Year: 2015, 2016
AFCA National FCS Coach of the Year: 2016
CAA Coach of the Year: 2016
ECAC Bob Ford FCS Coach of the Year: 2016

2011 Lenoir–Rhyne 7–3 6–1 T–1st
2012 Lenoir–Rhyne 9–3 6–1 1st L NCAA Division II Second Round 20
2013 Lenoir–Rhyne 13–2 7–0 1st L NCAA Division II Championship 2
Lenoir–Rhyne: 29–8 19–2
The Citadel Bulldogs (Southern Conference) (2014–2015)
2014 The Citadel 5–7 3–4 5th
2015 The Citadel 9–4 6–1 1st L FCS Playoffs Second Round 15
The Citadel: 14–11 9–5
James Madison Dukes (Colonial Athletic Association) (2016–present)
2016 James Madison 14–1 8–0 1st W FCS National Championship 1
2017 James Madison 8–0 5–0
James Madison: 22–1 13–0
Total: 65–20

Oh boy, Division ll Champions!!!

I’m sure Saban would be shaking in his boots.

Reactions: 1 person
Like you knew all this before visiting Wikipedia.

Obviously, because if his name isn't (in this order)

1: Gruden (still haven't figured this out)

2: Manning

3: Martin

or 4:Cooter

He's a google coach to you's guys.

Truth is I am close to the area and know of Houston, I just didn't know his stats. The point is... they are ALL google coaches.

Last edited:
I love this thread. There are so many arguments for and against so the feeding frenzy is amazing.

The bottom line is it’s a coach that has one loss and a number one ranking at an inferior school in an inferior division. It all depends on how you value that - some believe coaches can just coach at any level just the player talent is different. Others believe being good at a lower tier does not translate. Who knows - lots of data on both sides to be honest.

Just a couple of interesting points: i believe he’s beaten both FBS schools he’s played no? They aren’t great teams but let’s be real, I would actually bet money JMU would beat UT right now.

Oh and the JMU ESPN Gamedays were pretty impressive if saw them.

Not that anyone cares, but college and the NFL are hugely different in my opinion. Gruden is costly and has never had to recruit and hasn’t coached in years. That’s a huge risk for 10 bills a year (or whatever the rumor is). Almost any coach is a risk — I’d take one that has some fire, incentive to accomplish more, and clearly knows how to win above all else. But for us to argue that we are getting Fuentes because we’re a better school - why is that accurate? VT is higher ranked, has a good fan base, and probably not as much drama. If a coach is solely jumping for dollars that’s a red flag.

That said, I’d be absolutely shocked if he was hired. However I’d be thrilled if he was a coordinator.

Reactions: 3 people
No friggin way we hire a coach from JM. The fan base will revolt and I suspect the students will too.

Apparently coaching at any level is not the same just ask Nick satan, Steve Spurrier etc

I can accept your points. I would hope he would swing big for his assistants. I will feel the same way I did about Butch. Wait and see. I would feel better than I did when Dooley was announced.
I believe we can do better but until the next coach fails on the field, I will give them my full support.

Well, when a new hire is announced, it will take a few weeks to hire a staff. But beyond that, having these big background staffs sure has worked for Saban. It is just a matter of the decision makers on the Hill seeing that.

Of course, I am still going to drop Troy Calhoun's name. He has kept Air Force stable and competitive under some tough limitations inherent with a service academy. He is worth putting through the vetting process.

I never heard of this man until today and indeed he may have the opportunity to be a P5 coach some day.

It is interesting that he is one year older than Dan Mullen who has 11 years or so of SEC experience with 8 as a head coach. In addition Mullen was the right hand man of Urban Meyer on his way up.

I do not know if Mullen would be interested in the UT job and his buyout, etc. would not be cheap but Mullen has 5,000% better credentials than Mike Houston.

Not knocking this candidate from JMU and he may end up being as good as the Vols can do for this cycle of coaching musical chairs.

I never heard of this man until today and indeed he may have the opportunity to be a P5 coach some day.

It is interesting that he is one year older than Dan Mullen who has 11 years or so of SEC experience with 8 as a head coach. In addition Mullen was the right hand man of Urban Meyer on his way up.

I do not know if Mullen would be interested in the UT job and his buyout, etc. would not be cheap but Mullen has 5,000% better credentials than Mike Houston.

Not knocking this candidate from JMU and he may end up being as good as the Vols can do for this cycle of coaching musical chairs.

I realize we just say the same things over and over on this forum, but you are comparing a guy who wins a conference or national championship, at a low level, almost every single year, to a guy who never wins anything, at a higher level. You really ready to pick between those options with a 5000% margin? Why not 50,000%?

So given those choices, I think you want to hire Chip Kelly or Jon Gruden. right?

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back