The Golf Thread

Sorry for the delay, I don't frequent this thread. The Capitol Hill courses were great. The Judge is TOUGH. Excellent maintenance/conditions, nice pro shop, and quite the variation in holes and difference between the three courses. The Senator course is a booger if you don't hit the fairway...think Scotland "gorse." You aren't finding it unless you step on it. The Legislator and Judge had a lot of water/lake views. There's a cool island/peninsula green on the Judge. The opening tee shot on the Judge is apparently rated as one of the most intimidating in the world.

Pro tip: there are two houses there known as the Oster Houses. They are incredibly nice and suited perfectly for 8 guys to enjoy a weekend of golf, poker, pool, etc. Very affordable and even share a chipping/putting green.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry for the delay, I don't frequent this thread. The Capitol Hill courses were great. The Judge is TOUGH. Excellent maintenance/conditions, nice pro shop, and quite the variation in holes and difference between the three courses. The Senator course is a booger if you don't hit the fairway...think Scotland "gorse." You aren't finding it unless you step on it. The Legislator and Judge had a lot of water/lake views. There's a cool island/peninsula green on the Judge. The opening tee shot on the Judge is apparently rated as one of the most intimidating in the world.

Pro tip: there are two houses there known as the Oster Houses. They are incredibly nice and suited perfectly for 8 guys to enjoy a weekend of golf, poker, pool, etc. Very affordable and even share a chipping/putting green.

That 1st tee is something to see. We've been staying in the Oster golf houses for about 6 years now. He also has 2 now at Oxmoor Valley (not side by side). The older of the 2 is the last house before the clubhouse and they will let you take the carts back and forth to the house.

Last night I was reminded of how hard it is to take your game from the practice tee to the first tee. I got in 7 holes before a rainout. I once played to a 3 handicap, but at age 67 am losing some distance. Anyway, I hadn't played this year, and only played 9 holes last year, and didn't play the year before.

I have gone out and practiced several times, and hit the ball pretty well. Actually, I hit it fairly well last night at Graysburg. The only trouble is that I just made 2 pars out of 7 holes, even though I was either on or just off all 7 greens in regulation. I think that I 3 putted 3 times. Scoring comes with playing. It's not the same as standing in one spot practicing. The 9 holes that I played last year had about the same results. I have to play more. It's a hard game.

Last edited:
No doubt about it. It's hard to simulate feel and maintain a short game when you don't play much.

On the other hand, I've played so much the past 6 weeks that I'm putting the eyes out of it, but the outside of my right elbow feels like it's on fire. Getting old is hell.

Had two good rounds the past 2 weekends, for me anyway. Chipped one from about 30 yards out, got pretty excited not going to lie.

Had two good rounds the past 2 weekends, for me anyway. Chipped one from about 30 yards out, got pretty excited not going to lie.
Most people do get excited over holing out from a distance. The only time that I can remember otherwise , was when my late brother, who was a 2 handicap, holed out from 110 yards for a birdie 3.

He had hit a decent tee shot on a long uphill par 4 (number 2 handicap hole on the course), then proceeded to hit his 2nd shot from about 190 yards extremely fat, and it went about 80 yards.

He tended to get very quiet when he hit a bad shot. He didn't say one word after the fat shot, nor after he stepped up and hit his third in the hole from 110 yards for his birdie. I said "that went in the hole, didn't you see it?" He looked over, still mad, and said "that's the purpose of the game, isn't it?" He never cracked a smile.

Had my best 9 ever today. Shot a +3 on the back. Unfortunately I was +11 on the front, but still.

Help me out guys/girls. My son, a friend and I were playing a 9 hole par 3 course. After the 3rd hole we realized nobody had teed off behind us yet so we started playing 2 balls on each hole to get some work in. On a 175 yard hole we each played our first ball. I hit 4 iron and it was a full club long-flew the stick but stayed on the back of the green. On our second balls I used my 5 iron. Hit 15 feet short of the stick and rolled in. Is it fair or unfair for me to call that a hole-in-one? It's the only ball I've ever hit from the tee to go in the hole. When people ask if I've had a hole-in-one I usually say "sorta" and explain. What do the Volnation golfers think?

Help me out guys/girls. My son, a friend and I were playing a 9 hole par 3 course. After the 3rd hole we realized nobody had teed off behind us yet so we started playing 2 balls on each hole to get some work in. On a 175 yard hole we each played our first ball. I hit 4 iron and it was a full club long-flew the stick but stayed on the back of the green. On our second balls I used my 5 iron. Hit 15 feet short of the stick and rolled in. Is it fair or unfair for me to call that a hole-in-one? It's the only ball I've ever hit from the tee to go in the hole. When people ask if I've had a hole-in-one I usually say "sorta" and explain. What do the Volnation golfers think?

At first, I thought no since it was a second ball and you clubbed based on the first shot, but the more I think about it, I don't think it's anything to feel guilty about. People all the time bend the rules and trade yardage/club information, look in each other's bags etc and you were already playing 2 balls before you came to that hole.

You hit the shot. Count it and don't feel like you have to explain it.

At first, I thought no since it was a second ball and you clubbed based on the first shot, but the more I think about it, I don't think it's anything to feel guilty about. People all the time bend the rules and trade yardage/club information, look in each other's bags etc and you were already playing 2 balls before you came to that hole.

You hit the shot. Count it and don't feel like you have to explain it.

From a pure rules perspective, it's a mulligan, which doesn't exist. So it's a drop and a third shot. You made par.

But rules were made to broken. You were playing a second ball, and had effectively announced doing such. Therefore, I declare what you're doing to be the right answer. I wouldn't feel comfortable all out claiming I made a hole in one, but I would bring up what you've done any time you are asked.

Edit: And I quoted the wrong guy. My bad. You get the idea though.

It would feel a little tarnished to me personally, but if I was playing with you I’d totally tell you to call it a hole in one. You still hit it in from the tee box, not like it got that much easier just because you were playing two balls.

If you're anything like me you take what is given to you. Nice hole in one

Got out to the driving range for the first time in about a year. I’ve been taking lessons over at GolfTEC. Really happy with the results. I sliced the ball far less frequently. I still need to work on making consistent contact as I was either topping the ball or getting way below it.

I also took 3 drives off the tee, man, I’ve never hit the ball that well. Straight as an arrow and over 250 yards.

I have a very similar story. I have played golf for over 50 years with the best players in the area, and have only seen one hole in one. I have made 3 or 4 eagles on par 4 holes, once on the number one handicap hole from 197 yards out, but have never had a legitimate hole in one of my own.
My story begins on an uphill par 3 . With a 5 iron in hand, wind blowing against and to the left, I hit a hook that went left of the green into trees with undergrowth. Thinking it may not be found, I teed up another, and hit a perfect 5 iron, starting about 15 feet right of the pin, and the wind moved it right at the pin.

The other members of the group went to the green while I went in the trees looking for the first one. I found it about the time that the other guys arrived at the green. I played my original as they walked to the green, and found my provisional in the hole. I made a bogey 4 with the original. If I had not found it, I would have made a par with my provisional.

So, when people ask me if I have ever had a hole in one, I feel compelled to go through this story.

I have a very similar story. I have played golf for over 50 years with the best players in the area, and have only seen one hole in one. I have made 3 or 4 eagles on par 4 holes, once on the number one handicap hole from 197 yards out, but have never had a legitimate hole in one of my own.

I've had several eagles on par 4's also. The first was similar to my hole in one story. My group was playing a course for the first time and after our tee shots on this particular hole I had about 175 left and holed the shot. Our group finished the hole and as we were walking off the green we saw a 4some hitting into the green from a different direction. We had played the wrong green. For a few years I wondered if it was fair to consider that an eagle. The green we played to was 425ish and left a legitimate 2nd shot so I think it's fair to count it but as the years passed I had several more eagles (playing the correct hole) so it didn't really matter:)

I've had several eagles on par 4's also. The first was similar to my hole in one story. My group was playing a course for the first time and after our tee shots on this particular hole I had about 175 left and holed the shot. Our group finished the hole and as we were walking off the green we saw a 4some hitting into the green from a different direction. We had played the wrong green. For a few years I wondered if it was fair to consider that an eagle. The green we played to was 425ish and left a legitimate 2nd shot so I think it's fair to count it but as the years passed I had several more eagles (playing the correct hole) so it didn't really matter:)
I haven't don't that yet. lol.

Going to get my first lesson in a couple weeks. Been playing really well recently. Hate that it’s starting to turn cold, but going to try to go for a few more lessons over the winter after this one.

Tried to post this earlier today but must have hit the wrong button since I don't see it. I'll try again.

For those who don't get to play or practice as much as they'd like, especially with winter coming, I suggest the Rukknet. It's a portable net that opens into a 10' wide by 7' tall by 5' deep golf net. It closes down to a 32" circle about 3" thick and fits in a zippered bag. I use mine outdoors in the summer and in the garage in winter. I've had mine for years and hit thousands of balls into it. The net seems indestructible. Amazon and Walmart carry them online for about 140 bucks. Maybe the best value of any item I've ever bought. Here is a link to a short youtube vid of the net.

THE RUKK NET - The ULTIMATE Golf Practice Net - YouTube

hey GA, how did you book your scotland trip

A banker that I know had been the year before and figured it all out from tee times to hotel to ground transportation. He actually ended up going with us.

If you're thinking of putting something together, I can tell you how to do it or put you in touch with my guy.

VN Store

Back